Does Google music update changed ID3 tags?

Neon01

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently transitioning my 42GB music collection from a file-in-folder format that I used to use to find music to the current industry standard of all music gets put in one big "pot" with ID3 tags to find stuff, so a LOT of my music still doesn't have accurage ID3 tags. I'm going through and updating my music, but I'm not sure if Google Music recognizes those changes and actually updates it's cloud library with the changes or not. Since the file names and (probably) file size haven't changed, I wonder if it's doing anything...

Also, I deleted some files from my directory last night and noticed that they had not disappeared from my Android Google Music app this morning when I used it in the car. Do I need to "resync" my Android google music app or something to make all the changes resolve?

Ender84

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm aware that this is an old post, but I would really like to know this as I am about to fire up Media Monkey and fix a lot of my ID3 tags. Any one know for sure?

Soooo, BUMP.:)

jsummersphd

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm fairly certain that the Music Manager application doesn't recognize altered ID3 tags as a "new" song (the only parameter available for auto-uploading, which is murky at best). I've been forced to remove an artist's entire discography from Google Music just so the freshly edited files will be selected and uploaded. Pain, yeah, but one I'm willing to endure in exchange for being able to stream my entire music library for free as well as providing an additional file back up.

I actually recently reformatted and decided to try downloading my entire library from Google Music. I made some ID3 and filename changes and just turned on auto-upload for the first time. I'll try to remember to let you guys know what happens...

jsummersphd

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... so neither editing ID3 tags nor changing filenames had any effect on a song's Google Music counterpart, whether that song was part of the entire library download from Google or if it was added later.

It appears the only way to get ID3 tag changes to apply to a song that's already been uploaded is to delete the song from Google Music and re-upload.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670