Google Talk for Android

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi folks...

Does Google Talk use text messages?

Does Google Talk alert you when you get an incoming message, even if you aren't in the app?

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi folks...

Does Google Talk use text messages?

Does Google Talk alert you when you get an incoming message, even if you aren't in the app?

You can configure google VOICE (from the website) to send you texts and emails when someone leaves a voice message. Within the Android app, you can see the translated message and also have quick access to the voice file, so it basically doubles as a souped-up visual voice mail. Which is AWESOME.

[edit] changed talk -> voice, my bad. lol.

Last edited:

BTSee

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I have had some trouble getting GTalk to give me an alert of a new message when in the app, when the phone is awake as well as asleep. That is pretty annoying because new messages are there but I have missed them.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
You can configure google talk (from the website) to send you texts and emails when someone leaves a voice message. Within the Android app, you can see the translated message and also have quick access to the voice file, so it basically doubles as a souped-up visual voice mail. Which is AWESOME.

as Wesodz said, I believe you're discussing Google Voice, not talk. However, I completely agree with you. Google Voice is sweet. It is MUCH better than carrier visual voice mail. Lots of extra goodies and free. One of my favorite things it does it remove the Verizon "you must be a moron and don't know how voice mail works" message. You know, the one that says, "to leave a numeric page press one, when you are finished recording you're message press 1, or just hang up." -- or some such stupid ramblings.

To the OP: you asked if messages are received if you're not "in" the app? Yes, you will get messages without having the app open - it runs in the background.

There is a weird quirk with Google talk that seems to log the user out and makes other users appear to be offline (and you appear os "offline" to them as well). You get a message that says the message will be delivered when the recipient logs back in. I can not for the life of me figure out how it logs me out or in. However, not to fret. The messages are always delivered and recieved regardless of any type of "logged in" setting. This is a common complaint with Talk users that they are "logged out" and back in randomly. It's a bug that really doesn't mean a thing. I've NEVER had a message delivery fail and don't know of any situation that a message delivered to me was not recieved. Also, I've never actively "logged in". If I ever reboot or power off, I don't do anything with Google talk and then eventually someone sends me a talk message and, BAM! there it is.

However, I don't like the limitations of Talk (no groups, no attachments, no color backgrounds or font settings, not everyone has an Android and thus not able to use Talk on a mobile device). So, I hardly ever use it anymore and prefer SMS / MMS with Handcent - check out that free app. It might serve you better.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I have had some trouble getting GTalk to give me an alert of a new message when in the app, when the phone is awake as well as asleep. That is pretty annoying because new messages are there but I have missed them.

Really? that sucks. sorry man. However, that has never happened to me. What do you mean by "in the app"? Do you mean you're having a conversation with one person and another person sends a message and you don't recieve it?

BTSee

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Really? that sucks. sorry man. However, that has never happened to me. What do you mean by "in the app"? Do you mean you're having a conversation with one person and another person sends a message and you don't recieve it?

By "in the app," I meant when the app is open.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
By "in the app," I meant when the app is open.

Same thing here, it gets a little annoying, but now i just back out of the app anytime im done talking constantly, the pull down for notifications makes it so easy to hop back to the app at any time i get a new message.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
To the OP: you asked if messages are received if you're not "in" the app? Yes, you will get messages without having the app open - it runs in the background.
Well, I was really asking if it gives you an alert when you get a new message. I realize that I will still get the messages, once I log back in. What I want to know is if I am not in the app (like I don't have the app open on the phone), and someone sends me a message, do I get a notification, a buzz, a beep, etc.? Kinda like when you get a text message?

Talk will use Data, not SMS. Each message sent/received will NOT count towards a SMS cap that your carrier may have set.
Thanks. That is what I was wondering. I don't have a text plan and didn't want to be charged.

Same thing here, it gets a little annoying, but now i just back out of the app anytime im done talking constantly, the pull down for notifications makes it so easy to hop back to the app at any time i get a new message.
So you just keep the app running in the background (on another card - to use webos language), correct? This is the only way to be notified of an incoming message?

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
It will stay running in the background when you back out of it, unless you sign out. It wont be accessible in card style like the webOS would be, you will have to go to notification of new message, or go to the icon to open the application again.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
It will stay running in the background when you back out of it, unless you sign out. It wont be accessible in card style like the webOS would be, you will have to go to notification of new message, or go to the icon to open the application again.

Ok, great. I don't care about having the app open as long as I get a notification.

aug0211#WN

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
-You'll get an audible alert whether you're currently "in" talk or not - as long as you're signed in to it. You will also get an alert in the notification area - consider it the same as text notifications.

-It will not take up any of your texts, all of the info is sent via data, NOT sms.

-Talk IS available on multiple platforms, I talk with Android, BB, and iPhone users via talk currently.

-There ARE some bugs related to connectivity as mentioned, yet they seem to be "false" bugs, alerting us that we/others are offline, when in fact we/others are available.

Hope that answers everything, though I think you got most of these answers already.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Aug0211, great info. I'm on the mobile site. So, I can't do the "thanks" & "add to reputation" thing. But, I'll remember your name and give you credit when I'm back on the pc version.

I'm interested in you statement about using talk to chat with folks using bb's and iphones. How? Are they just logging on to google talk?

aug0211#WN

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Aug0211, great info. I'm on the mobile site. So, I can't do the "thanks" & "add to reputation" thing. But, I'll remember your name and give you credit when I'm back on the pc version.

I'm interested in you statement about using talk to chat with folks using bb's and iphones. How? Are they just logging on to google talk?

Thanks! - Glad to help...

Yes, there are apps that support google talk for the both iPhone and for the BlackBerry...

There is a google app "Talk" for the BB (much like we have on the android), in addition to other IM clients that will support a gTalk login. As for the iPhone, I'm not sure if there is a google developed app to support gTalk (there may be, I'm just not familiar with the iPhone too much), but I know my buddy is using BeejiveIM on his iPhone and that's how he talks via gTalk.

Hope that helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze