Not sure where to put this one folks but here goes. I loaded HTC Sync to my PC the other day and ever since the hourglass pops up about every 4-5 seconds on my computer. It's like there's a process that keeps starting up and shutting down and it's screwing with my PC like no other. Well, using Task Manager, I was finally able to track it down to a process called "FsynSrvStarter.exe". Took me forever to figure it out b/c it only displayed for a fraction of a second, then disappeared again. Once I got enough the name to do a Google search, I found a few forums where it had been identified as a glitch within the HTC Sync software. I had just done a Windows update and was attributing it to that!

Bottom line, I had to uninstall HTC Sync in order to rid my machine of the problem which was fine b/c I really loaded it for the drivers anyway. Just wanted to get this out there for others who might be experiencing this issue. I'm not sure if it's specific to Windows version or not but I'm running XP32 SP3.
    Sorry if this is common knowledge but it threw me for a loop.
    05-27-2010 12:34 AM
    I was having problems with HTC also, and got these instructions from HTC:

How to resolve installation errors with HTC Sync

1. Uninstall HTC Sync (Vista / Windows 7)
    1. Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features > select HTC Sync and click Uninstall > select HTC Driver and click Uninstall
    2. Restart your PC
    -or-
    Uninstall HTC Sync (Windows XP)
    1. Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > select HTC Sync and click Uninstall > select HTC Driver and click Uninstall
    2. Restart your PC

2. Download Windows Installer Clean Up
    1. Use this page to access the file: Use the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to remove Office 2000, Office XP, or Office 2003
    2. Click the link labeled Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility Package now
    3. Select Save
    4. Choose your Desktop as the location to save the file
    5. Find the file labeled "msicuu2.exe" and run it to install.
    6. Follow the installation process until this is complete.

3. Download Visual Studio SP1 package
    1. Use this page to access the file: Download details: Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)
    2. Click Download
    3. Select Save
    5. Find the file labeled "vcredsi_x86.exe" and run it to install.
    6. Follow the installation process until this is complete.

4. Download HTC Sync 2.0.33 (or current version)
    1. Use this page to access the file: HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC Hero™ (Sprint) - Downloads
    2. Click Download
    3. Select Save
    5. Find the file labeled "HTCSync2.0.33.zip"
    6. Right-click this file and choose "Extract Here"
    7. Run the file labeled "HTCSync2.0.33.exe" to install
    8. Follow the installation process until this is complete.
    05-27-2010 08:20 AM
    I also encountered this fsynsrvstarter.exe error problem, this topic work greatly for me.
    03-29-2012 10:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD