I was just talking to someone about Android vulnerability and was wondering if Android can run unsigned apps? Can anyone else comment on Android's security?
    Thanks
    05-30-2010 09:08 AM
    There is a setting in Android that allows you do run such apps.
    Menu > Settings > Applications > Unknown Sources

If you start installing apps from random websites that aren't listed in the market, you should be prepared for trouble. But Android/Google lets you make that choice, Apple doesn't.
    05-30-2010 09:54 AM
    Ah very interesting. Was arguing with someone about Android viruses. I never seem to really get them (On the PC or otherwise) but we both agree they are out there. Do you think it is worth getting a virus scanner for Android?
    05-30-2010 10:04 AM
    Wouldn't worry about it. Just FUD.
    05-30-2010 11:21 AM
    Ah very interesting. Was arguing with someone about Android viruses. I never seem to really get them (On the PC or otherwise) but we both agree they are out there. Do you think it is worth getting a virus scanner for Android?
    Security of android is pretty good. Just be very mindful of who and what you are giving permission to do on your phone when prompts at install time.

There is no reason to give a quotes app or puzzle game the right to access your contacts, etc.

Eventually there will probably be some creative worms out there that propagate through bluetooth or wifi similar to the ones that are out there on symbian, but it seems the people that are getting impacted by those are the ones who are not reading the blatant warning screens from the OS about connectivity.
    06-01-2010 07:48 PM
    You can install malicious or misbehaving apps, but that doesn't make them a virus. (They don't spread by themselves - yet).
    06-01-2010 07:55 PM
    There is no reason to give a quotes app or puzzle game the right to access your contacts, etc.
    Very True.

Unfortunately a lot of apps ask for a lot of permissions they really never need and shouldn't have. I installed something the other day that tells me at the last minute it is going to survey my phone and report which apps I had anonymously, to "help the developer improve his product".

Needless to say, I canceled the install.
    06-01-2010 08:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD