Vlingo & Bluetooth

anon(84366)

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I currently live in a smaller city in Georgia and texting while sitting at a stop light has not been a big issue but I am getting ready to move to Atlanta and am going to be spending more time on the highway commuting to and from work. I am looking for suggestions on text to speech apps that work well with a Bluetooth headset.

I bought the Motorola Elite Flip this past week to use with my LTE Galaxy Nexus. I know the My Motospeak app is not yet ICS compatible. I have used Vlingo off and on over the past 2 years with my Droid Eris and Droid X. It seems if I am in a relatively quiet place Vlingo picks up just fine. And I see settings for it to listen over Bluetooth but it seems to also listen to the built in mics which means when traveling at speed in the car with the heater/AC and radio going it picks up all the background on the mic and does not seem to pick up what I say as well. Is there an app setting I am missing? Is it just a "bug" with Vlingo and the GNex/ICS? Or are there other voice-to-text apps that others are using with their bluetooth that are working well in a car?

deaner1029

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I am also in the same boat as you. I bought the Elite just for the motospeak app and did not know that I couldn't use it. If you find anything please let me know. I have also been searching the market looking for something.

Cellmeister

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
my long past & current experience & humble opinion;

thats normal in a vehicle

it is normal the mic's are sensitive so it picks up too much background noise as well as your voice so it may not understand what u say

u need to use a boom mic, that will put it closer to your mouth, shut off radio & close windows as well

I tried a cheap "wired" boom mic/ear bud and it worked well with vlingo & other apps

the bluetooth with boom mics (the closer to your mouth the better) are not cheap but are likely the solution

if u pick one up, make sure you buy it in a place that you can return for a full refund after its opened (open package with razor & neat).

FYI: i just read this about Vlingo responds to privacy issues raised about its Android app vlingo in the news page

hope that helps

Last edited: