I'm a new Android user and don't see a lot of the basic apps that iOS had. I thought that I'd make a thread for newbies like me and who come from iOS and are looking for the basics.

Here's what I've found to be simple, free apps that address the gaps:

* iOS Calculator -> ICS Calculator
    * Notes -> ColorNote
    * Clock (stopwatch and timer) -> Timers4Me
    * iCould (Find My Phone) - > ?
    * Compass -> ?
    * Voice Memos -> ?
    * Stocks -> ?

If anyone has better alternatives, please add below. Remember, this isn't a comparison of iOS to ICS, it's more of a kick start for newbies who come from iOS.
    01-04-2012 03:19 PM
    * iCould (Find My Phone) - > SeekDroid
    * Compass -> Compass
    * Voice Memos -> Any.DO (a to do app, but it's interface is so simple and amazing)
    * Stocks -> Stocks

There are a couple simple compass apps called Compass. And the "stock" Stocks app works great for stocks.
    kharrigan likes this.
    01-04-2012 04:13 PM
    I would say a better app than "Find My Phone" is a lost and found app in case the phone is ever stolen. My current favorite is Prey in the Android Market.

It is open source and I've found it to be very useful when my devices are misplaced. More info on their web site: Open source anti-theft solution for your laptop, phone and tablet – Prey
    kharrigan likes this.
    01-04-2012 04:36 PM
    I would say a better app than "Find My Phone" is a lost and found app in case the phone is ever stolen.
    I agree. FWIW, I went with PhoneLocater Pro (not free). Thanks for the suggestion of Prey. If I had found that first, I may have gone with that.
    01-05-2012 09:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD