07-11-2010 12:23 PM
49 12
tools
    I miss the Man Show....lol

There's an app.. (I forget the name, sorry) where you can control a girl bouncing on a trampoline. Pretty sweet app. lol jk.. There's quite a few to be honest. I would sort by Top Rated to be honest.
    06-02-2010 02:36 PM
    I miss the Man Show....lol

Ziggy Zoggy Ziggy Zoggy Oi Oi Oi!
    06-02-2010 02:43 PM
    Some good ideas in here. Posting for June 4th reference
    06-02-2010 02:45 PM
    4.3" is sure to impress....
    06-02-2010 03:31 PM
    4.3" is sure to impress....
    That's not what she said!

having 5 sisters
    Pix or they didn't happen!
    06-02-2010 03:34 PM
    Layar Reality Browser FTW!!! This never fails for me
    06-02-2010 08:54 PM
    Google Skymaps and Google Goggles....Voice input for searching / text messaging, etc...
    +1 for Google Sky - or just use the voice button to tell it to do ANYTHING... that's how the rep at Verizon got me interested in Android and HTC in the first place (I am a loyal Sprint customer, but they had the Incredible) - he just pushed the voice button and said "Navigate to WalMart", and the phone opened up navigation and began routing me there.. for the regular Joe, that's impressive.

Of course I just read the last part of this message where gibson mentions the voice input. Duh......sorry.
    wryun likes this.
    06-03-2010 10:28 AM
    Layar... It's the best "augmented reality" app out there.
    I just looked this up on AppBrain, what is it? What does it do?
    06-03-2010 10:37 AM
    Moved to the app forum.

To the OP: please check out the stickies for some ideas.
    06-03-2010 10:46 AM
    Well, I am surrounded by mostly non-technophile women. The product of being a sexy beast and also having 5 sisters So a big shiny screen on its own does not make their heart race as it would you and me. Therefore I need to show them something a little more substance oriented
    The best way to a woman's heart is through shopping.. Show them a real time use of the any of the barcode scanning apps and you have pure win.

My wife swears by ShopSavvy..
    wryun likes this.
    06-03-2010 12:39 PM
    Timeriffic is a good one that iPhone can't compare to - it let's you adjust your call volume/ringer based upon the time of day. Mine is set to go to vibrate during work hours and church. Locale is similar, but expensive, and can also key off of your GPS location rather than just hours/time of day.

Those are ones that always made my iPhone and Blackberry friends go "Really? It'll do that??"

Another one that I really enjoy showing off is MyTracks. I do a lot of mtn biking and this will work for any type of outdoor travel - walking, jogging, cycling - on trails or roads. It will map your route, give you a graph for altitude/height and speed, and also show you all your stats (live, while you're using it, if you want). You can then upload all that info to Google Docs and compare each of your rides/runs/walks with previous. You can also upload the map/route to Google Maps and share it if you like. This has been one of my favorites to show off as well.
    wryun likes this.
    06-03-2010 04:40 PM
    Shazam and alice if your sisters like music. Shazam will listen to the song on the radio and tell them who it's by and take you to amazon to shop for it.

Alice will tell you what favorite artists (you put them in) have concerts in a radius of whatever you set from your location coming up.

I like gdocs notes because it puts notes on my phone right into my google docs, and visa versa. A special folder on google docs causes them to show on the phone.

Your wife could add to your shopping list while you are standing in the store. You hit sync and walla the list is on your phone now.
    wryun likes this.
    06-03-2010 11:47 PM
    Just load a cool video on your EVO and hook it up to an HD TV and play it for them!
    06-04-2010 10:36 AM
    coming from a palm pre..im just blown away by the amount of good apps on the android market.
    06-04-2010 01:53 PM
    Can someone tell me what FTW! stands for? I've run through some possibilities in my mind, but I don't think my dirty mind is coming up with the proper phrase.

Thanks!
    06-04-2010 07:20 PM
    for the win lol.
    06-04-2010 09:51 PM
    Timeriffic is a good one that iPhone can't compare to - it let's you adjust your call volume/ringer based upon the time of day. Mine is set to go to vibrate during work hours and church. Locale is similar, but expensive, and can also key off of your GPS location rather than just hours/time of day.

Those are ones that always made my iPhone and Blackberry friends go "Really? It'll do that??"

Another one that I really enjoy showing off is MyTracks. I do a lot of mtn biking and this will work for any type of outdoor travel - walking, jogging, cycling - on trails or roads. It will map your route, give you a graph for altitude/height and speed, and also show you all your stats (live, while you're using it, if you want). You can then upload all that info to Google Docs and compare each of your rides/runs/walks with previous. You can also upload the map/route to Google Maps and share it if you like. This has been one of my favorites to show off as well.

Can it do all that while in a pocket or backpack or does it need to be out and getting a clear GPS signal?
    06-04-2010 10:53 PM
    Can it do all that while in a pocket or backpack or does it need to be out and getting a clear GPS signal?
    I just keep it on my regular belt holster. I've had a couple problem after a couple of dozen uses, but I think if I had waited to make sure I had a good GPS signal, or restarted, it would have been fine. And this was with fairly dense tree cover in places as well. I'd say it works to its fullest about 80% or more of the time. For free - I'll take it.
    06-04-2010 11:31 PM
    There's an app called "remoteDroid" that runs off wi-fi and controls your pc/laptop.
    So for me, that would be the best show off app if I'm at the house, considering the laptop is hooked up to my TV.
    Dunno if the app actually runs on the EVO though.
    Very late reply to this. I just put RemoteDroid on my Evo and it works perfectly! It displays a small keyboard button between the two mouse buttons on the screen to bring up the touch keyboard. I'm definitely adding the server-side executable to my startup folder!
    07-09-2010 12:08 AM
    Google Sky Map
    Google Earth

Period. Those two impressed me and many others.
    07-09-2010 12:13 AM
    I think what's blown people away the most is voice search on my Evo. Try this:

Long press the search button (from the home screen). If you get options, choose Voice Search.

Wait for the "speak now" prompt, and then say something like "Find Pizza."

The phone will bring up google maps, with indicators for all the nearby Pizza places. Tap one, and it displays the name. Tap the name, and it brings up a page with info and ratings. From there, tap the arrow button to navigate right to it.

Google Goggles blew me away the first time I saw it.

People seem to think Gesture Search is pretty cool, too.
    07-09-2010 10:53 AM
    - Layer - Augmented Reality Browser (uses the camera to look around and shows you POIs close by).
    - Where's My Droid (send your phone a txt mssg with a set phrase to 1) turn your ringer volume on and ring the phone so you can find it, or 2) turn your GPS on and send you a txt mssg back with a link to google maps showing the location of your phone).
    - Google Sky Maps (Uses augemented reality browser like features to show you stars and planets in the sky. Gives you names for stars, plantes, constellations, etc...).
    - Google Maps (Street View with the compass feature turned on is pretty cool).
    - Shazam (listens to playing music and identifies the song and artist).
    - BarcodeSanner or ShopSavvy (Just scan a barcode and look up items and pricing on the web).
    - 720P video recorder (the HD video is cool and you can hook it to a HDMI port on your HDTV and show it right off the phone).
    - Fring (lets you do video chat with other Fring accounts. This is now supported on iPhone too.).
    - 4G web browsing (if you have a 4G connection, you can do side by side comparisons with other 3G browsers and show how much faster yours is).
    - Live Wallpapers (there are some pretty cool ones out there. Check out Live Earth!).
    07-09-2010 11:13 AM
    Thanks for the psychoanalysis! However, I want my friends and family to enjoy the device and see the benefits of owning one. I want the device to do well and utterly crush the Iphone; Sprint to do well and keep giving me my stellar rates and service.

It has more to do with sharing excellence with the people I care about and less to do with any insecurities I may have.
    Exactly!!!
    07-10-2010 01:37 PM
    -
    - Where's My Droid (send your phone a txt mssg with a set phrase to 1) turn your ringer volume on and ring the phone so you can find it, or 2) turn your GPS on and send you a txt mssg back with a link to google maps showing the location of your phone).
    Does this app turn on your GPS if it is off? The description given says it does but reading the reviews it seems that it does not. It wold be cool if it did and ouldn't mind paying for it.

Thanks.
    07-11-2010 12:23 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD