Shazam paid vs SoundHound paid - whih is better?

AlexOnVinyl

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have a copy of the paid version of Shazam andike it a lot, but I've been curious as to whether I should buy and start using SoundHound instead? Could some of you share your experiences as to which one you prefer over the other?

Sent from my ADR6400L

Cole World

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I have a copy of the paid version of Shazam andike it a lot, but I've been curious as to whether I should buy and start using SoundHound instead? Could some of you share your experiences as to which one you prefer over the other?

Sent from my ADR6400L

I have both. & while someone over here might say A is better than B or vice-versa, you're really not missing out on anything. Either one is just fine

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I agree with post above. Both of them are good. I use soundhound though. I found it ro find more results from.my experience and I like how it is set up. I switched just to try it and never went back to shazam.

Sent From My HTC Vivid

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Realistically, the only reason I prefer SoundHound over Shazaam is because SoundHound has a better widget in my opinion. Other than that, they both offer the same features and perform equally well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I chose soundhound because it had more features then Shazam did at the time. Plus when I had my BB everytime I received a replacement BB I had to wait 10 days for Shazam to clear my acct to allow me to install the paid version again. Left a bad tast in my mouth.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Here's my two cents if you care. I picked up both pro versions during the 10 cent sale a few weeks ago (previously just used the free versions):

I'm only going to list some differences I found, since they both function similar.

Soundhound:
  • It tags a bit faster, IMO.
  • It has trouble recognizing live tracks and will frequently tag them as the recorded version (Shazam doesn't seem to have this issue).
  • A nice pro is you can sing or hum a song, and it will (usually) recognize it. And I suck at singing.
  • I do like that it gives the album name at the top of the screen, while Shazam only gives the track and artist, and you have to scroll to the bottom for the album name. Also it's a few more presses in Shazam to get to the actual album information (such as all the tracks that are on the album).

Shazam
  • I like the interface and colors better (Personal opinion, plus I think it looks "snazzier" while tagging)
  • Allows you to send the tagged songs to Pandora and Spotify (sorely lacking in Soundhound)
  • Has a nice option to tag on startup, which can save a valuable second or two while trying to catch the end of a song and is very handy in the car, as it saves having to press an additional button.
  • Has kindof a cool feature where it scrolls the lyrics (karaoke style) while the song plays.

They both offer similar functionality as far as buying MP3s (AFAIK, both are limited to Amazon's MP3 store), and they both offer discographies, biographies, lyrics, tour info, etc.

I did notice (just now) that Soundhound has a nice "find this song on albums" thing that Shazam is missing, that will give you every album that the song appears on (that's nice, in case it's on a soundtrack or multiple albums).

I personally haven't really found a song that one will identify but the other will not, other than the aforementioned issue Soundhound seems to have with live tracks (for example, if you tag this live Alter Bridge track in both apps, Soundhound identifies it from being from the album "Blackbird" while Shazam correctly identifies it as being from "Live in Amsterdam").

Demodave

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
You mention that Shazam has the lyrics feature. I'm pretty sure that SoundHound will scroll the lyrics in perfect time while the song plays too. I've done it several times.

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
You mention that Shazam has the lyrics feature. I'm pretty sure that SoundHound will scroll the lyrics in perfect time while the song plays too. I've done it several times.

The paid version of Soundhound will scroll the lyrics. I got it when it was a ten cent app in the Market.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I was really surprised with how well SoundHound does with the scrolling lyrics.

Sent from my gTablet using Tapatalk.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
The paid version of Soundhound will scroll the lyrics. I got it when it was a ten cent app in the Market.

My bad...I guess I didn't notice that feature in it. Will have to check it out. I do like it in Shazam but the "style" seems to randomize a bit (one song will scroll like the Star Wars.crawl, and the next they'll fly in from the side or something).

So they are really even more comparable. I don't think you can really go wrong with either.

EDIT: Just checked out Soundhound, and yes it does. It wasn't that obvious to me, so again, apologies. So really, its:
  1. Soundhound: Tags a bit faster and you can hum/sing to it
  2. Shazam: Better at tagging live tracks (as far as identifying the correct version you're listening to) and has a nice "send to Pandora" or "send to Spotify" feature (someone correct me if Soundhound does that...I couldn't find it). Also will tag immediately on startup.

As noted earlier, I got both for 10 cents each, so I'm keeping both of them around. I lean towards Shazam for the couple of features mentioned above (and my personal preference of the interface/colors, etc), but they're both equally impressive. I know anytime I show one to a friend who is unfamiliar with them, it knocks their socks off.

Last edited: