Hey guys-

Ive been using advanced task killer since I got my DI... but i keep reading its causing more problems then good. Especially with handcent.

I keep reading, "delete it"
    but If I delete it, how do I close out of programs?
    06-01-2010 10:40 PM
    You don't have too. The operating system will manage it for you. Your phone will run just fine so when your done with one program, just back out or hit the home icon and move right along to the next one.
    06-01-2010 10:56 PM
    I have ATK installed, but have stopped using on a regular basis and have noticed the phone works just fine without it. If I notice some lag or apps acting up, I'll open it up and kill of some stuff, but otherwise I don't use it.
    06-01-2010 11:32 PM
    I have ATK installed, but have stopped using on a regular basis and have noticed the phone works just fine without it. If I notice some lag or apps acting up, I'll open it up and kill of some stuff, but otherwise I don't use it.
    X2 I have recently stopped using it. I am currently running Android System Info. It shows you how most if not all apps were not using up any CPU %. And you can also turn apps off.
    06-02-2010 01:57 AM
    I have ATK and use it every time I put the phone to sleep. I also use handcent, and have had no problems. You don't need ATK for performance but I think it really helps my battery life, which is why I use it.
    06-02-2010 01:58 AM
    You don't have too. The operating system will manage it for you. Your phone will run just fine so when your done with one program, just back out or hit the home icon and move right along to the next one.
    my incredible does horrible without it i deleted the atk about a week ago and im only getting about 8 hours up time without syncing, gps and locations even on...
    06-02-2010 06:35 AM
    *Most* apps will close after you exit them with the back button, or via the in-app exit button, if available. The only exception is when an app runs as an 'always-on' or periodic polling service.

However, I have seen a few poorly coded applications that will stay running even after exiting. This, IMO, is the only time a task killer can come in handy. You should not just 'kill' applications because they are open. Instead, switch to the app, and exit it 'gracefully'.
    06-02-2010 06:47 AM
    Wow that sucks. I get 14+ hours from my battery with data always on, syncing, push gmail, weather Facebook and Twitter updating every hour, no GPS, WiFi for an hour or so, music, and other random usage.

No task killer for me.
    06-02-2010 06:48 AM
    I use a manual task killer, but after weeks of using it off and on, I'm really not sure it makes much of a difference.
    06-02-2010 08:07 AM
    Hey guys-

Ive been using advanced task killer since I got my DI... but i keep reading its causing more problems then good. Especially with handcent.

I keep reading, "delete it"
    but If I delete it, how do I close out of programs?
    Why?

This ain't no stinkin' Blackberry...
    06-02-2010 08:53 AM
    I have noticed that my phone runs just as well without a task killer. That, and I'm not finding the compulsion to "kill" tasks every ten seconds. I bet the battery I was "saving" I was using killing tasks every time before I put my phone to sleep.

When you kill tasks, usually they just reopen when you sleep the phone. Android can run its self.
    06-02-2010 09:07 AM
    you guys should be using system panel, it is the only task manager to show you the true status of your apps. you will be surprised once you see the inactive vs active running apps. ATK doesnt show you this at all, and its really a waste to use that app.
    rpfarrah likes this.
    06-02-2010 12:17 PM
    you guys should be using system panel, it is the only task manager to show you the true status of your apps. you will be surprised once you see the inactive vs active running apps. ATK doesnt show you this at all, and its really a waste to use that app.
    System Panel is a very interesting app. Running it now and really like how much information it gives you. Thanks for the tip!
    06-02-2010 02:32 PM
    Some games, such as Robo Defense will much up your battery and keep your phone from sleeping.

I use System Panel to shut it down when not in use.

I am also a reformed ATK user. It was tough to let that one go, but I haven't seen any problems without it.

System Panel gives me all I need.
    06-02-2010 06:33 PM
    Just downloaded this after reading your post, so far it is very impressive.
    06-02-2010 07:10 PM
    Just downloaded this after reading your post, so far it is very impressive.
    Where did you find that App.
    06-02-2010 07:41 PM
    I found System Panel a while back and it's the best task manager that I have found. I rarely kill tasks unless I have identified that an app is causing an issue through spare parts. Like Roger said, it's the best app to see what your apps are doing. Active, Inactive, and System processes.
    06-02-2010 07:58 PM
    Just downloaded System Panel, it's one good app! Thanks for the heads up..
    06-02-2010 08:04 PM
    Where do you find System Panel to down load
    06-02-2010 09:17 PM
    Where do you find System Panel to down load
    Search in the market on your phone under SystemPanel, no space in it... It should be the first hit. Creator is NextApp, Inc.
    06-02-2010 10:11 PM
    Hi Guys
    What programs are you excluding?
    Thanks
    Micko
    06-07-2010 08:25 PM
    So I picked up the Droid X a little over a week ago. Coming from the Eris this thing is amazing. A year ago when I picked up the Eris, they either loaded for me or recommended Advance Task Killer and I went with it. I was new to Android and did not know any better.

Here a year later, Android is quite a bit more prevalent in the world and there is a lot of good information on task killers. Why then did the Verizon associate selling me my Droid X try to install a task killer for me? Luckily I stopped her before she did. Does Verizon/Sprint/T-Mobile/etc get some sort of kickback from the developers of these apps, I mean really? I was half tempted to tell this poor soul to come to this or any other Android forum to learn more about why I did not need/want that app installed.

Any employees of the big carriers out there, perhaps you can explain why they get shoved down our throats.
    11-16-2010 06:05 AM
    I had the same thing happen this weekend when my wife needed to exchange her EVO. The Sprint sales person was saying that she needed a Task Killer. I had to inform them that it causes more harm than good.

I think the problem is that they were all taught months ago, before FROYO came out, that you need a Task Killer. This was true with Android 2.1 and earlier but not now. The carriers need to update their manuals and send their sales associates back to class.

Doc
    11-16-2010 08:00 AM
    I had the same thing happen this weekend when my wife needed to exchange her EVO. The Sprint sales person was saying that she needed a Task Killer. I had to inform them that it causes more harm than good.

I think the problem is that they were all taught months ago, before FROYO came out, that you need a Task Killer. This was true with Android 2.1 and earlier but not now. The carriers need to update their manuals and send their sales associates back to class.

Doc
    2.1 does NOT need a separate task killer. Te built in Task manager/ killer is sufficient and functional as is.
    11-16-2010 08:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD