forgive the stupid question. what happens when you drive through an area you don't get service?
    06-02-2010 02:19 PM
    GPS continues onto a blank map.. no data = no updated maps.
    06-02-2010 03:15 PM
    Of course you would still have the text for directions, but as was stated earlier you wouldnt have an updated map.
    06-02-2010 03:19 PM
    Does it not at least pull down the route you are driving? it's all vector based can't imagine that it would be too memory intensive to grab at least a good chunk of the route minus the side streets and POI's.
    06-02-2010 03:38 PM
    I believe it does cache your route, but the maps wouldnt update..the gps would continue along a purple path, and no re-routing.

I can't speculate because I've not had this happen, but I do know GPS continues on a blank map.. if the route caches, it should show the purple path at least.
    06-02-2010 03:40 PM
    this happens a lot on road trips...you always go through the pockets of low reception areas in the middle of the farm fields
    06-02-2010 04:49 PM
    this happens a lot on road trips...you always go through the pockets of low reception areas in the middle of the farm fields
    so......

what happens when you lose reception?
    06-02-2010 08:39 PM
    so......

what happens when you lose reception?
    It depends on your GPS application. If you were using Google Navigation and lost service you'd be out of luck... Now if you had a app that stored the maps on your sd card or phone itself all you'd need is a gps signal.
    whitenack likes this.
    06-02-2010 08:43 PM
    I've found that it caches a certain amount of information. If you go through a dead zone for a few minutes, you shouldn't have a problem. If it's extended, however, then the other posts are correct - you would still have GPS information but without the graphic map.
    06-02-2010 10:14 PM
    forgive the stupid question. what happens when you drive through an area you don't get service?
    There's not just one nav app out there. I assume you're referring to Google Maps Nav. Without data, as others have pointed out, you don't get maps. If you need maps in areas without coverage I suggest looking into nav apps that store map data locally (e.g. CoPilot, etc).
    06-03-2010 10:49 AM
    I use CoPilot - which utilizes local map storage. It also works in Canada, where Google Maps does not.
    06-03-2010 10:54 AM
    I tried CoPilot Live 8 with North America. The zipcodes and data were all wrong for my area. It showed me in the next town. My zipcode 02919 also showed that same wrong town. Used it once and the exit numbers were wrong. It said take exit five for Atwood Ave. Atwood is exit 6. I submitted the data fix requests, and tech support said it may be fixed next quarter map release. Since a map release came out the end of May, I am not willing to wait that long. Android Market says contact ALK for refund (past 24 hours). ALK says since I did not buy from them, I must get the refund from the market. Guess I wasted my money. Anyone have a recommendation for a working on-board gps nav system that will work with HTC Incredible.
    06-07-2010 09:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD