Llama - Who's Using It and Any Good Examples?

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Just found this topic. Nice!
I have several rules that are working well for me. I won't mention volume settings as they would differ by preference.

1) if not connected to my car bluetooth and near home cell tower, wifi goes on for 3 minutes then turns off if not connected
2) if connected to home wifi, deactivate lock
3) if connected to car bluetooth, auto brightness, disables lock, turns off wifi
4) disconnect from car, if not in home cell range, disables wifi, disable bluetooth, activate lock
5) charging, enables BT
6) disconnect home wifi, enables BT for 3min then disables if not connected to car, turn off wifi if not connected again in 3min.
7) connected to home wifi and charging, launches Tablet Talk.
8) BT keyboard connect, enables autorotate

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

There are a couple there I might snag.

Just wondering, if you turn off mobile data, does that affect phone calls and text messages or just internet usage? I have kids and texts and calls need to get through no matter what.

ChuckeeDroid

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
There are a couple there I might snag.

Just wondering, if you turn off mobile data, does that affect phone calls and text messages or just internet usage? I have kids and texts and calls need to get through no matter what.

I'm almost positive that mobile data doesn't affect calls and sms. I'm under the impression that it does affect mms though.
I was roaming in the US (I'm from canada) and I turned off mobile data. I was getting calls and texts.

Reactions: Hypnotoadd

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to make location more accurate? I want it to be able to tell the difference between my house and friends who lives 10 minutes away. With the cell towers sometimes it has both of them set on so I'm constantly switching profiles and settings.

Yes I know about the longer it gets to know an area the better the accuracy but the most u could get at my friends house is 2 cells where as my house has 8 cells. It still can't decipher the two sometimes

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

zenibear

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this thread! Never heard of llama before but wow this app is incredible. Love some of your uses, am going to have fun with this :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ChuckeeDroid

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to make location more accurate? I want it to be able to tell the difference between my house and friends who lives 10 minutes away. With the cell towers sometimes it has both of them set on so I'm constantly switching profiles and settings.

Yes I know about the longer it gets to know an area the better the accuracy but the most u could get at my friends house is 2 cells where as my house has 8 cells. It still can't decipher the two sometimes

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

I don't think cell towers will work in this case. I would use wifi networks to distinguish these locations.
Use the towers to turn on wifi for 3 minutes if not already connected. Create a rule for each network if it connects. If no network connects in 3 minutes, wifi disables.

Reactions: Hypnotoadd

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I've just started testing out Llama too - but has anyone figured out if it can be used to silence the camera shutter sound? I tried assigning a "silent" ringtone but Llama didn't like that, I'm not sure if/how to do it within Llama.

I know there are other apps that can be used (different camera app, or Tasker, etc.) but I'd like to use one app for my location-based profiles and silencing the camera, if possible. Since Llama is free I'd like to use it if it can be done. Oh, and I'm non-rooted, using an EVO 4G LTE.

Last edited:

Crazycaveman

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Never mind, I figured out a way I could do it in Llama, thanks anyway :)

What was your solution??? This thread is about sharing Llama actions, after all...

I have mine current set up as follows:
For any area:
  • when leaving, turn off wi-fi and enable loud profile
  • When airplane mode is enabled, disable mobile data (probably not needed)
  • When Wi-Fi enabled, disable mobile data
  • When airplane mode disabled AND Wi-Fi not connected, enable mobile data

At home:
  • Enable wi-fi and set profile to normal
  • Between 22:30 and 07:30 when charging, set profile to calls only
  • Between 7:30 and 8:30 set profile to normal

At work (a little more complex, since I don't get signal):
  • At Work Mon. through Fri. between 8:00 and 17:00, set profile to quiet and enable Wi-Fi
  • When connected to <work wi-fi network>, enable airplane mode
  • When airplane mode is enabled at work, enable Wi-Fi
  • When Wi-Fi disconnects from <work Wi-Fi network>, delay one minute and disable airplane mode

Does anyone know how to control 4G (LTE) on a Verizon Galaxy Nexus? Whenever I tried using the 4G option in Llama, it always said "Llama-ERROR: Failed to toggle WiMax" and 4G was still enabled.

Last edited:

LuizVid

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone

I already solved it. i just put a variable here, another there and worked very well. kkkk

thx

"I would like some help about the following.
I just installed Llama and im triyng to define a action that vibrate every 1 minuto when it have a notification from Whatspp.

Im doing this:

Event name: A message
Event group: General
Enabled: checked
Repeat event: checked
Repeat interval: 1 minute
Conditions: App Notification Bar Icon (Whatsapp)
Actions: Vibrate Pattern (500,500,500,500,500,500,500,500,500,500)

At android configurations > Acessibility > Llama is activated

And it doesnt work! Am i doing something wrong? Could someone help with this?

Thx a lot! :p"

Last edited:

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
not sure man. Not good with the fancy stuff but it sounds like it would drain the Hell out your battery anyway..

Can someone tell me if it's possible to get this thing to not make sound when switching profiles? Using the area to change events And having to areas similar with different profiles it gets really aggravating switching from vibrate to loud back and forth... "buzzzzz, dunding. Buzzzzz, dunding ." Lol

Joeysface

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey all I read through the forum and saw a few good Actions that I wasn't using so I thought that I would share some that I didn't see on here.

Event Name:
Low Battery.

Conditions:
Battery Level below 20%

Actions:
Toggle Bluetooth Off (if not connected)
Toggle Wifi Off
Change Screen Brightness to 30%
Turn Haptic Feedback off
Change Screen Timeout to 15 seconds
Display Reminder "Low Battery, Charge Phone"

I also have another event set up for low battery:

Event Name:
Extremely Low Battery

Advanced options:
Require Confirmation Enabled
Confirmation Dialog Enabled

Conditions
Battery Level drops below 11%

Actions:
Reminder "Battery at 10%"
Toggle Mobile Data off

and the Inverse:

Event Name:
Low Battery Charging

Conditions:
Battery level rises above 25%
Charging Status: Charging from USB or AC

Actions
Haptic Feedback on
Mobile Data On
Play Sound "Good News"
Change Screen Brightness to 80%
Toggle Wifi on for at least 5 Minutes
Change Screen Timeout to 1 Minute.

Hope someone finds these useful. I've had fun reading through what others have come up with.

anon(692098)

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I have two Events that work well for me:

BT Helmet -- I have a BT headset for my motorcycle
Conditions:
  • Bluetooth Device Connected
  • Sena SMH10
Actions:
  • Run Application: Google Play Music
  • Change music/media volume: 15/15

Headphones:
Conditions:
  • Wired Headset
  • Wired Headset Connected
Actions:
  • Run Application: Google Play Music

I did this so that when I go to walk my dog all I need to do is plug in the headphones without turning on the phone and I know that Play music will be ready, then with a press on the in line remote I can start to listen to music. This solved a big issue I had when making the switch from the iPhone. The BT Helmet works just as well though sometimes I need to trigger the music twice before it plays but I think that's due to the BT connection.

RKDauph

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Llama & NFC tags

Hi everyone,

New here and a new android user. Llama looks like an extremely useful app. However, the location by cell tower seems to limit options at a single location.

Home as an example: When at home - do this and do that is fine and doable; I don't go to bed at the same time every night, can I use a NFC tag in the nightstand dock to set the G3 to silent, dim, do this and/or that? Is there another way to accomplish this task?

Thanks,
Ray

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
This seems like a great app to save time and battery but I live 5 min walking from my work so it's the same antenna. How is using gps to differentiate places? Does it really drain the battery?

aia8998

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
hey there, if you go to the profiles tab and then hit menu, then settings, then notification mode, i believe you can turn it off in there. hope that helps.

---------- Post Merged at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:36 PM ----------

not sure man. Not good with the fancy stuff but it sounds like it would drain the Hell out your battery anyway..

Can someone tell me if it's possible to get this thing to not make sound when switching profiles? Using the area to change events And having to areas similar with different profiles it gets really aggravating switching from vibrate to loud back and forth... "buzzzzz, dunding. Buzzzzz, dunding ." Lol

hey there, if you go to the profiles tab and then hit menu, then settings, then notification mode, i believe you can turn it off in there. hope that helps.

aia8998

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
here are some of my settings:

Event: enter work - meeting
Area: At work
When:M-F AND between 7 and 4:28 AND when any calendar has any calendar events (must be not all day and not shown as available) [i have a seperate work calendar that llama checks]
Action: change profile to silent [my silent profile changes my default ringtone and notifications to silent EXCEPT my noisy contacts (i.e. daughter's school)

Event: Get To work
Area: Work
When: M-F AND between 7 and 4:28
Action: change profile to work [work profile: lowers the ringer/notification volume to 2 and changes the default ringtone to a "silent" ringtone that only people with extremely good hearing and dogs can hear]

Event: left work [llama knows i left work based on the location AND the time that i used in the "get to work" event
Action: change profile to loud and enable bluetooth

Event: Normal at Home
Where: at home OR mom's
WHen: between 5:40am and 10 pm{when it's M-TH}
action: change profile to normal, enable wifi and disable screen lock after an unlock

Event: Quiet at night
where: at home OR mom's
when: M,t,w,t or sunday
action: change profile to Night and disable wifi [my night profile changes the notification ring tone to Silent and the ringer ringtone to something that won't make me jump up and want to slap someone lol]

these are just a few of my profiles/events. I have others if anyone would like them. HOWEVER, what I am interested in is if anyone has used the intents?? I am trying to get llama to basically override all the custom ringtones i have for my contacts while I am at work, making everyone just have the same (work appropriate) ringtone while i am at work, and then when i leave, let everyone have their custom ringtones again. I suspect I would need a third party app like Ringo Pro (which I do have) to do this, but I am not familiar enough with the coding part (i guess) to figure out how to get Llama to "suspend" the app from running. I think Whoisit? could have worked, but I don't think it is supported by the dev any longer and I still don't know how to use the android intents in Llama. (and i tried just "killing" it using llama but that didnt work).

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated, as the customization of ringtones is virtually a useless feature if i can't get them to change while i'm at work (they don't look kindly when booty shaking music is blaring over the walls lol).

aia8998

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
here are some of my settings:

these are just a few of my profiles/events. I have others if anyone would like them. HOWEVER, what I am interested in is if anyone has used the intents?? I am trying to get llama to basically override all the custom ringtones i have for my contacts while I am at work, making everyone just have the same (work appropriate) ringtone while i am at work, and then when i leave, let everyone have their custom ringtones again. I suspect I would need a third party app like Ringo Pro (which I do have) to do this, but I am not familiar enough with the coding part (i guess) to figure out how to get Llama to "suspend" the app from running. I think Whoisit? could have worked, but I don't think it is supported by the dev any longer and I still don't know how to use the android intents in Llama. (and i tried just "killing" it using llama but that didnt work).

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated, as the customization of ringtones is virtually a useless feature if i can't get them to change while i'm at work (they don't look kindly when booty shaking music is blaring over the walls lol).

Hey all,

I got a response from the Dev and it works! I can finally have whatever ringtone I want for my friends outside of work, and then have one professional ringtone for everyone while I am at work. THANKS, Steve!
Edit your Normal profile, and choose LlamaTones, then create a LlamaTone for each of the contacts you have customised. Choose whichever ringtone you want for each contact as that LlamaTone.

Then go to the contacts/people app, and set the ringtone for each person to the appropriate LlamaTone (the contact picker should let you pick which ringtone-picker to choose, Llama provides a LlamaTone ringtone picker for this job)

Now your friend's ringtones will be controlled by Llama.

The next step is to modify each of the LlamaTones in your 'work' profile to set the LlamaTone for each contact to the boring, non-customised ringtone. Whenever you activate that profile, Llama will swap out the customised LlamaTones for the boring ones. When you switch back to normal, Llama will swap the boring one for the customised ones.

Finally, each of your other profiles will have to have the LlamaTones set up. Fortunately, you can copy the LlamaTones from Normal to your other profiles in the Profile -> LlamaTones screen.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

I got a response from the Dev and it works! I can finally have whatever ringtone I want for my friends outside of work, and then have one professional ringtone for everyone while I am at work. THANKS, Steve!
Edit your Normal profile, and choose LlamaTones, then create a LlamaTone for each of the contacts you have customised. Choose whichever ringtone you want for each contact as that LlamaTone.

Then go to the contacts/people app, and set the ringtone for each person to the appropriate LlamaTone (the contact picker should let you pick which ringtone-picker to choose, Llama provides a LlamaTone ringtone picker for this job)

Now your friend's ringtones will be controlled by Llama.

The next step is to modify each of the LlamaTones in your 'work' profile to set the LlamaTone for each contact to the boring, non-customised ringtone. Whenever you activate that profile, Llama will swap out the customised LlamaTones for the boring ones. When you switch back to normal, Llama will swap the boring one for the customised ones.

Finally, each of your other profiles will have to have the LlamaTones set up. Fortunately, you can copy the LlamaTones from Normal to your other profiles in the Profile -> LlamaTones screen.

Pretty cool man. Llama just keeps getting better

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I am on the fence about llama or tasker.
I tried llama for a day and decided to use NFC tags instead.
However, I want to go back and use a scheduling app.

Can llama do this?
I would like to have it silence my ringer, notifications, etc. at night UNLESS it's my wife that is calling or texting me, etc.
I want immediate family to always override what my phone is set to in case of an emergency.
Tasker does this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech