Llama - Who's Using It and Any Good Examples?

FLAWLESSVW

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
An a rooted phone, it seems to work (cyanogen mod 10.1 using llama gps toggle and/or system settings locale plugin)

It must be dependent on things other than simply android version then.
For example, as I mentioned before... I had an HTC phone running android ICS and llama 4g toggle worked. On my Samsung GS2 running ICS it does not. GPS does not toggle on either. Both phones rooted/running custom ROMs. I would LOVE to know what makes the gps toggle tick. I have everything else automated when I get in the car. It's the one thing I have to do manually every time.

Sent from my Samsung GS2 using Tapatalk 2

Airlsee

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Is any one else having problems with getting their lock screen to stay disabled?

I'm on a Galaxy S3 running 4.1.1 stock rooted.

I have Llama set to disable lock screen after unlock, when I'm connected to my home WiFi. It will work for a couple minutes but it's pretty sketchy, it seems like any time I click on a notification it trips Llama up and then lock screen is enabled again.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

WOP_Drive

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Is any one else having problems with getting their lock screen to stay disabled?

I'm on a Galaxy S3 running 4.1.1 stock rooted.

I have Llama set to disable lock screen after unlock, when I'm connected to my home WiFi. It will work for a couple minutes but it's pretty sketchy, it seems like any time I click on a notification it trips Llama up and then lock screen is enabled again.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure if thishttp://bliynd.com/archives/289 will help you, but it worked perfectly for me... a Tasker user.
I'm sure you can incorporate the Secure Settings app https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...leobject.securesettings.plugin&token=azLPczPfinto Llama and find a way to use this.
Behind the scenes, it basically eliminates your PIN setting... so there's no chance of your lock screen coming back until you want it to.
Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

sfmccallie

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys and gals. I have been using Llama now for a few weeks and for the most part have it doing what I want. My profiles work well and I have my locations defined. My problem is with wifi; I have an event set that when I leave home it turns wifi off which works well but I also have an event set that when I return home it is supposed to turn wifi on, which it doesn't. I have tried the delay condition but that hasn't worked either. What am I missing? Any help is appreciated.

sfmccallie

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi, could you post the details of your events?

Enviado desde mi GT-N7000 usando Tapatalk 2

Sorry for the delay in the response. My events are pretty basic since I'm not clear on how to edit or set up complicated events. The two that are giving me trouble were set up using the basic event templates and are shown below:
Event 1.
Wifi at home
When your phone connects to "wifi" (I have inserted my home network name here) at Home - enable WiFi

Event 2
Wifi off
Upon leaving Home - disable WiFi

Like I stated previously, Event 2 works great and everytime I leave home it disables the Wifi. The problem is connecting back to Wifi when I get home. I have tried the delay action and the repeating action thinking that the problem may be that when I hit the first cell identified as "home", I wasn't close enough to my home network to connect so it was ignoring the command. I couldn't get these to work either. I am sure I am missing something or there is an easy fix, but I just haven't found it yet.

Thanks for the response and any help you can give.

FLAWLESSVW

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the delay in the response. My events are pretty basic since I'm not clear on how to edit or set up complicated events. The two that are giving me trouble were set up using the basic event templates and are shown below:
Event 1.
Wifi at home
When your phone connects to "wifi" (I have inserted my home network name here) at Home - enable WiFi

Event 2
Wifi off
Upon leaving Home - disable WiFi

Like I stated previously, Event 2 works great and everytime I leave home it disables the Wifi. The problem is connecting back to Wifi when I get home. I have tried the delay action and the repeating action thinking that the problem may be that when I hit the first cell identified as "home", I wasn't close enough to my home network to connect so it was ignoring the command. I couldn't get these to work either. I am sure I am missing something or there is an easy fix, but I just haven't found it yet.

Thanks for the response and any help you can give.

Well think closely about even #1, it's a situation of the chicken or the egg. Your WiFi is off, so it will never say "Hey, I'm near my home WiFi Network so turn on". It's like you keeping your eyes closed and me saying "When I hold up three fingers, OPEN YOUR EYES!" You'll never "see" it :)

The best way to have Llama work is based on LOCATION, and the simplest (and least battery intensive) way to determine location is by what Cell tower you're connected to. You need to go to the "Areas" tab first and foremost, and teach Llama your Home area. Learn the area for several hours. And check it periodically...I've seen new towers pop up in my home or work areas and had to add them manually. You can see which towers you've been around in the "Recent" tab. Then when you enter or leave your "Home" area you can trigger and disable all sorts of stuff, but make it based on the area where the cell towers are.

This is really where Llama differs (and excels IMO) from other event apps. Many others are based on
TIME - they set profiles based on time of day. This doesn't work for me since I don't keep a military-strict schedule. I was tired this morning, and able to sleep in. As such, I don't want my phone notifying me. SO....Since I was at Home, and my phone was still plugged in, it stayed on Silent.

And, how about last night? You could say - IF I plug my phone in on a Sunday night, go to Silent. But what if I'm out with my wife late that night and plug my phone in? I'm not "Home" so it shouldn't go to Silent (which Llama doesn't because it "sees" I'm not near my Home cell towers).

So remember the essence of Llama is your physical location as determined by Cell Tower ID's. Everything else revolves around that.

Then when you have Home learned, you may just need to rework that Event to just say When you're at home, Enable Wifi (and it will THEN automatically connect to your preferred home network).

sfmccallie

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Well think closely about even #1, it's a situation of the chicken or the egg. Your WiFi is off, so it will never say "Hey, I'm near my home WiFi Network so turn on". It's like you keeping your eyes closed and me saying "When I hold up three fingers, OPEN YOUR EYES!" You'll never "see" it :)

The best way to have Llama work is based on LOCATION, and the simplest (and least battery intensive) way to determine location is by what Cell tower you're connected to. You need to go to the "Areas" tab first and foremost, and teach Llama your Home area. Learn the area for several hours. And check it periodically...I've seen new towers pop up in my home or work areas and had to add them manually. You can see which towers you've been around in the "Recent" tab. Then when you enter or leave your "Home" area you can trigger and disable all sorts of stuff, but make it based on the area where the cell towers are.

This is really where Llama differs (and excels IMO) from other event apps. Many others are based on
TIME - they set profiles based on time of day. This doesn't work for me since I don't keep a military-strict schedule. I was tired this morning, and able to sleep in. As such, I don't want my phone notifying me. SO....Since I was at Home, and my phone was still plugged in, it stayed on Silent.

And, how about last night? You could say - IF I plug my phone in on a Sunday night, go to Silent. But what if I'm out with my wife late that night and plug my phone in? I'm not "Home" so it shouldn't go to Silent (which Llama doesn't because it "sees" I'm not near my Home cell towers).

So remember the essence of Llama is your physical location as determined by Cell Tower ID's. Everything else revolves around that.

Then when you have Home learned, you may just need to rework that Event to just say When you're at home, Enable Wifi (and it will THEN automatically connect to your preferred home network).

Hey Flawlessvw, thanks for your reply. The first thing I did with Llama was let it "learn" my home area and work area, so that is taken care of. You may be correct in that instead of saying when my phone connects...I should just say when home connect to wifi. I will revise my event to this scenario and see if it works. Thanks again.

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey Flawlessvw, thanks for your reply. The first thing I did with Llama was let it "learn" my home area and work area, so that is taken care of. You may be correct in that instead of saying when my phone connects...I should just say when home connect to wifi. I will revise my event to this scenario and see if it works. Thanks again.

Hi,

Your event should be,
When at home (here home is what llama learned with cell towers), turn wifi on.

Now, the problem with this event is that if your home area is to big, you will have wifi on too much time.
To avoid this, and since I only turn wifi on with the screen at home, I do the following:

- I enabled wifi polling.
- I called the home area learned by cell towers "near home".
- My home area only have my home wifi network as a "tower".
- Outside "near home", I set the wifi polling schedule to "never".
- At near home but not in home I set it to every 5 minutes.
- And at home I set it to 1 hour.

Now, since I have an event that executes a synchronization every few minutes, I think that the last point could be changed to "never". I asked the developer about it, but I still had no answer.

Hope this help you.

dadep

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
I'm new to Android and I have found Llama very useful and powerful to manage my smartphone. For now I have configured basic events but I would like to set up something more complex. For example I would to know if is possible to configure nested events, like:

Event Name: Screen On
Main Event: When Screen turn On
Condition #1: when in zone home or office
Event #1: wifi on, cellular data off
OR
Condition #2: when not in zone home or office (unknown area, into the car, on the road, etc....)
Event #2: cellular data on, wifi off

This to avoid to setup two separate events (Screen On at home/office - Screen On out of home/office).

Thanks in advance
Davide

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
I'm new to Android and I have found Llama very useful and powerful to manage my smartphone. For now I have configured basic events but I would like to set up something more complex. For example I would to know if is possible to configure nested events, like:

Event Name: Screen On
Main Event: When Screen turn On
Condition #1: when in zone home or office
Event #1: wifi on, cellular data off
OR
Condition #2: when not in zone home or office (unknown area, into the car, on the road, etc....)
Event #2: cellular data on, wifi off

This to avoid to setup two separate events (Screen On at home/office - Screen On out of home/office).

Thanks in advance
Davide

Hi, sadly you can not create events like this with Llama, only if the "if something then do something" type. So you have to create the two events separately.

What you can do is nest this type of events, like "if something then do (if something then do something) " with the queued events.

BR

FLAWLESSVW

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
New Users - Please Read

I have learned a lot from this thread - so please DO NOT use this post as your definitive guide to Llama!!! There are several other experienced Llama users throughout the pages that you can learn a LOT from!!!

With the traditional forum disclosure out of the way :) ...I've been using Llama for quite a while and am somewhat obsessed. I've found myself sitting in parking lots setting up new Events.
I think I've got some pretty effective Events configured for MY needs, but I believe once you understand the basic logic behind them you can take them and run with them to meet your needs.

In short - Llama let's you change settings on your phone based on LOCATION and TIME.

The first thing to understand is Llama has THREE major parts that you need to identify and configure.

(Some content copied and summarized from the dev's website KebabApps: Instructions )

1. Areas:
From the website: Llama does not use GPS like some other applications, it also doesn't use any data connection so it won't eat into your data plan. Instead, Llama uses the unique ID given to each phone mast (or cell) that your phone is connected to. You have to train your Llama so that it know which location each of the phone masts this corresponds to. Please see the link if you need more information on how to train your phone.
In my configuration, I only see a need for "Home" and "Work". Of course it knows when I'm NOT in those areas as well (and sets my profile to Loud when I leave home or work for example).

2. Profiles:
From the website: Profiles provide a way of grouping the ringer, vibrate, ringtones and notification tones, similar to how other phone manufacturers handle these functions.... You can change the profile manually by using the Profiles tab, or by creating events that change the profile. Llama comes with some built in profiles named normal, quiet and loud. You can add new ones, edit these ones or delete them.
I view profiles as mainly Ringer/Volume/Notification control in short. Everything else I handle through Events.

3. Events:
From the website Events are at the heart of Llama. You define events to tell your Llama what you want it to do. Each event has a set of conditions and actions. When all of the conditions are met, the actions are run. Llama comes with some default events, but you can customise them as you wish. One of the events is named 'Quiet at night', and is based on the fact that you are at home, and the time is after 10pm. This means that when it is late and you are at home, it will turn the ringer to a lower volume. However, if you are at the pub and it's after 10pm, it will leave the ringer alone (NOTE: this is assuming that your home and the pub are suitably far away. Llama works best in built up areas with lots of phone masts).
PLEASE visit the website and read more on Events since they really do make the app tick!

I wanted to just post the screenshots below but figured posting the above would make this more useful.
So here are my Events for you to review.
***I found it best to NUMBER my events so I can keep them organized when I review. They kind of correspond to how my day goes I guess.
1. Wake up (during the week)
2. Leave the house (any day/time)
3. Arrive at work
4. Leave work
5. Go to sleep (during the week)
6. Wake up (during the weekend... I SLEEP IN so needed a different Event for Sat/Sun)
7. Go to sleep (during the weekend. I STAY UP LATE on the weekend!)
8. Evenings at home (where I want WiFi enabled, etc)

..... Those are the main ones that control my phone. I've got two (important to me) extra events for when I put my phone in my car dock and take it out which I'll post at the bottom.

attachment.php

3. Arrive at work
4. Leave work

attachment.php

6. Wake up (during the weekend... I SLEEP IN so needed a different Event for Sat/Sun)

attachment.php

attachment.php

And my Car Dock / Undock events, where I want to launch nav (Waze), Play Music, put the Media Volume to the Max, etc:
attachment.php

As I said, there are TONS more examples on here and even much more advanced profiles and events, but I think mine represent a good basic starting point so Llama takes care of you 24/7/365.

I can honestly say I think it is very fun to set this app up and make your phone do what you want. Hopefully this helps some people get a feel for what you can do, and please visit the developers website since there's a TON more information there for you to learn from.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-13-11-11-14.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-13-11-11-14.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 296
  • Screenshot_2013-02-13-11-11-30.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-13-11-11-30.png
    58.6 KB · Views: 294
  • Screenshot_2013-02-13-11-11-45.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-13-11-11-45.png
    74.2 KB · Views: 294
  • Screenshot_2013-02-13-11-11-56.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-13-11-11-56.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 289
  • Screenshot_2013-02-13-11-16-01.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-13-11-16-01.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:

kuchenquaker

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
if you use Astrid you can make Llama run an astrid shortcut based on location, for example, when i get home, llama fires the "show the tasks on the list "home" due today" and you have location based tasks :D

it's useful for remembering to buy something at the supermarket or some task at the college.

when i'm at college and the calendar have a class event, the phones turns airplane mode on for no distractions.

when a location app (foursquare, sonar, maps) is open and i'm outside, turn on the wifi for 5 minutes for accuracy

and the guy who simulated juicedefenders behavior, thanks, it saves a lot of internal memory :B

Last edited:

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
New Users - Please Read

I have learned a lot from this thread - so please DO NOT use this post as your definitive guide to Llama!!! There are several other experienced Llama users throughout the pages that you can learn a LOT from!!!

With the traditional forum disclosure out of the way :) ...I've been using Llama for quite a while and am somewhat obsessed. I've found myself sitting in parking lots setting up new Events.
I think I've got some pretty effective Events configured for MY needs, but I believe once you understand the basic logic behind them you can take them and run with them to meet your needs.

In short - Llama let's you change settings on your phone based on LOCATION and TIME.

The first thing to understand is Llama has THREE major parts that you need to identify and configure.

(Some content copied and summarized from the dev's website KebabApps: Instructions )

1. Areas:
From the website: Llama does not use GPS like some other applications, it also doesn't use any data connection so it won't eat into your data plan. Instead, Llama uses the unique ID given to each phone mast (or cell) that your phone is connected to. You have to train your Llama so that it know which location each of the phone masts this corresponds to. Please see the link if you need more information on how to train your phone.
In my configuration, I only see a need for "Home" and "Work". Of course it knows when I'm NOT in those areas as well (and sets my profile to Loud when I leave home or work for example).

2. Profiles:
From the website: Profiles provide a way of grouping the ringer, vibrate, ringtones and notification tones, similar to how other phone manufacturers handle these functions.... You can change the profile manually by using the Profiles tab, or by creating events that change the profile. Llama comes with some built in profiles named normal, quiet and loud. You can add new ones, edit these ones or delete them.
I view profiles as mainly Ringer/Volume/Notification control in short. Everything else I handle through Events.

3. Events:
From the website Events are at the heart of Llama. You define events to tell your Llama what you want it to do. Each event has a set of conditions and actions. When all of the conditions are met, the actions are run. Llama comes with some default events, but you can customise them as you wish. One of the events is named 'Quiet at night', and is based on the fact that you are at home, and the time is after 10pm. This means that when it is late and you are at home, it will turn the ringer to a lower volume. However, if you are at the pub and it's after 10pm, it will leave the ringer alone (NOTE: this is assuming that your home and the pub are suitably far away. Llama works best in built up areas with lots of phone masts).
PLEASE visit the website and read more on Events since they really do make the app tick!

I wanted to just post the screenshots below but figured posting the above would make this more useful.
So here are my Events for you to review.
***I found it best to NUMBER my events so I can keep them organized when I review. They kind of correspond to how my day goes I guess.
3. Arrive at work
4. Leave work

..... Those are the main ones that control my phone. I've got two (important to me) extra events for when I put my phone in my car dock and take it out which I'll post at the bottom.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60310&stc=1&d=1360776154

3. Arrive at work
4. Leave work

http://forums.androidcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60311&stc=1&d=1360776154

http://forums.androidcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60312&stc=1&d=1360776154

http://forums.androidcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60313&stc=1&d=1360776154

And my Car Dock / Undock events, where I want to launch nav (Waze), Play Music, put the Media Volume to the Max, etc:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60314&stc=1&d=1360776154

As I said, there are TONS more examples on here and even much more advanced profiles and events, but I think mine represent a good basic starting point so Llama takes care of you 24/7/365.

I can honestly say I think it is very fun to set this app up and make your phone do what you want. Hopefully this helps some people get a feel for what you can do, and please visit the developers website since there's a TON more information there for you to learn from.

For some reason I cannot see your pictures you posted. Anyone else having problems or is it just me?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I currently have my cell phone set to manually check for email. What I would like for it to do is check for email periodically when I am connected to a particular Wi-Fi signal.

Is that something llama can do?

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I currently have my cell phone set to manually check for email. What I would like for it to do is check for email periodically when I am connected to a particular Wi-Fi signal.

Is that something llama can do?

Yes, it can. You basically have to simulate juicedefender behaviour.
I'll give more detail later, 'cause i'm in a hurry right now...

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi again.

I simulate juice defender behavior by forcing a synchronization every "t" amount of minutes for "T" seconds or minutes. Now, t=5 in a peak schedule in weekdays, t=15 in peak schedule in weekends, t=15 in normal schedule in weekdays and t=1 hour in normal schedule in weekends. You have to create a different event for every different value of "t". In the same order, T=30s, 1min, 1min and 2min.

The event goes like this (this is the normal schedule in weekdays) :

--Conditions:

- Advanced: Repeat every 15 minutes and stop if conditions are not met.

- Days of the week: MTWTF
- Battery level: over 10%
- Llama variable: when 'night' doesn't have value 'yes' ('night~=yes) (1)
- Llama variable: 'syncrowifi'=yes (2)
- Llama variable: 'holiday'~=yes (3)
- Llama variable: 'Day' =yes (4)
- OR: [Time: between 7:00 and 12:30] or [Time: between 20:30 and 1:30] (5)

-- Actions:

- wifi on.
- Llama icon: 1 point (6), no changing color.
- Variable llama: 'syncingwifi' to yes (7)
- Queued event: "start syncro"
- Queued event: "stop syncro if not connected" (8)

--- Queued events:

-- start syncro: 8 seconds delay.

- Conditions:
- connected to any wifi network.

- Actions:
- Activate syncro, force update.
{- Queued event: 1 min delay.
- deactivate syncro.
- Llama icon: 0 points, no color change.
- Variable llama: 'syncingwifi' to no.}

-- stop syncro if not connected: 8 seconds delay.

- Conditions: not connected to any wifi.

- Actions:
- Variable llama: 'syncingwifi' to no.
- Llama icon: 0 points, no color change.
- wifi off.

* Notes:
(1) My night profile start 15 minutes after no activity is detected starting 0:00, and variable 'night' is set to yes when is activated. This is for not allowing syncro when this profile is activated before the time limit (1:30) and for not stop it earlier.

(2) This is for stop syncro if I want to. I have an event that set that variable to 'no'. This is more useful for the data version of this events.
(3) When there's a holiday in the calendar, another event set that variable to yes, and the weekends schedules are executed.

(4) With my alarm event I set variable 'Day' to yes and with the night profile to no. Night profile is ended before the alarm, so there a little time when night and day are set to no.

(5) Evidently the peak schedule is between 12:30 and 20:30

(6) Two point for peak schedule.

(7) Another event turn wifi off with screen off if this variable have value no.

(8) It happened to me sometimes that wifi didn't connect within the 8 seconds. This is for stopping syncro and turn wifi off if that happens. If the conditions of a Queued event aren't true the event disappears without triggering.

() Each one of this events have its analog, using data instead of wifi when I'm not in wifi zones.

Hope this help you.

Best regards,

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc