Llama - Who's Using It and Any Good Examples?

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi

The general idea I have, as I said before, is to have an account sync performed every 30 min, either on wifi (when I'm connected to a wifi network) or mobile data (if not connected to any wifi network) and to turn off mobile data when I'm not using my phone (as I don't have a very big data plan).

So, do you think I can have these 3 events at the same time:

- SYNC: (to run the sync every 30 mins)
-> repeating event (every 30 min)
Conditions
-> between 6 am and 1 am
Actions
-> enable account sync, request update
-> queue event after 5 min, disable account sync

SCREEN OFF (to disable wifi + mobile data when screen turns off... will the sync still occur?)
Conditions
-> when screen turns off
Actions
-> disable wifi (if not connected)
-> disable mobile data

SCREEN ON (to enable mobile data when user is present, wifi should turn on if I am in my wifi areas I guess)
Conditions
-> when user is present
Actions
-> enable mobile data

What do you guys think?

Hi,

as i pointed out in previous post, if you will turn your data/wifi of withvthe screen, then you have be careful about how you define your events.

In your case, you have several mistakes.

1. In your sync event you don't turn data/wifi on, so when your screen turns off, your other event will turn them off, therefore sync won't work.

2. In your screen off event, if you put wifi of if not connected, as long as you are connected to a wifi network (like in your home) wifi won't turn off. Now if you wanted that way, that will fix the above issue for Wifi, but then this event is pointless since the idea is turn wifi off when is not in use.

3. In your third event, the user is present doesn't work, at least for me the event are executed even when the screen is off, if you have the same issue I recommend tonus er screen is on condition instead.

4. Finally, you need different event to turn the screen on for Data and wifi. Turn data on won't turn wifi on and backwards. I recommend to use location conditions so when you are outside wifi areas you use data instead.

Best regards,

PD: a few post above I give my events for this, they fix this issues as well as others.

Enviado desde mi GT-N7000 usando Tapatalk 2

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

as i pointed out in previous post, if you will turn your data/wifi of withvthe screen, then you have be careful about how you define your events.

In your case, you have several mistakes.

1. In your sync event you don't turn data/wifi on, so when your screen turns off, your other event will turn them off, therefore sync won't work.

2. In your screen off event, if you put wifi of if not connected, as long as you are connected to a wifi network (like in your home) wifi won't turn off. Now if you wanted that way, that will fix the above issue for Wifi, but then this event is pointless since the idea is turn wifi off when is not in use.

3. In your third event, the user is present doesn't work, at least for me the event are executed even when the screen is off, if you have the same issue I recommend tonus er screen is on condition instead.

4. Finally, you need different event to turn the screen on for Data and wifi. Turn data on won't turn wifi on and backwards. I recommend to use location conditions so when you are outside wifi areas you use data instead.

Best regards,

PD: a few post above I give my events for this, they fix this issues as well as others.

Jellyscorpio

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a data plan for my phone, but live in an area that's densely filled with both cell towers and Wi-Fi. I set up Llama to turn on the Wi-Fi for a minute at 15 minute intervals, so basically my phone can sync to the internet every 15 minutes instead of me having to manually turn Wi-Fi on and off each time. This event only fires when the screen is turned off, and only when I'm in places that have Wi-Fi such as at home or in school.

This is how I set up my Llama event.

--

Create a new event and name it accordingly, make sure it's enabled.

CONDITIONS:
Enter area - if you want the Wi-Fi to fire only in certain areas
Screen on/off - off
I also put Battery level above 10 so that the phone will save on battery by not running the event when my battery level's low.

You can add other conditions.

UNDER THE ADVANCED options:
- Tick "Delay event"
- Delay minutes - 1 minute (The time between your screen turning off/entering an area and the repeating Wi-Fi firing)
- Delay seconds - 0 seconds
Cancel delay if false - I ticked this so the rotating Wi-Fi will not run when my screen turns on again.

Require confirmation - No

Repeat event - yes
Repeat interval - 15 minutes (change this to how often you want the Wi-Fi to turn on and off)

Under ACTIONS,
Toggle Wi-Fi - On
Queue another event --> this will take you to a new screen.

QUEUED EVENT
The queued event is to turn the Wi-Fi off after 1 minute (or any duration you like), so I named it "Wi-Fi off"
Queue delay - 1 minute 0 seconds (change this depending on how long you want the Wi-Fi to be turned on each time it repeats)

CONDITIONS - none

ACTIONS:
Toggle Wi-Fi - Wi-Fi off​
--

This should give you an event summary of:
When [List of conditions, when screen turns off etc] - delay for 1 minute and then enable WiFi and queue an event named [Wi-Fi off or whatever you named your queued event] after 1 minutes and 0 seconds every 15 minutes.

It's been really useful and is just like having a data connection when I'm in places with continuous Wi-Fi. My email and Whatsapp messages get pushed without problems every 15 minutes! You can use this to toggle your mobile data to save on costs too.

Llama's great :)

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a data plan for my phone, but live in an area that's densely filled with both cell towers and Wi-Fi. I set up Llama to turn on the Wi-Fi for a minute at 15 minute intervals, so basically my phone can sync to the internet every 15 minutes instead of me having to manually turn Wi-Fi on and off each time. This event only fires when the screen is turned off, and only when I'm in places that have Wi-Fi such as at home or in school.

This is how I set up my Llama event.

--

Create a new event and name it accordingly, make sure it's enabled.

CONDITIONS:
Enter area - if you want the Wi-Fi to fire only in certain areas
Screen on/off - off
I also put Battery level above 10 so that the phone will save on battery by not running the event when my battery level's low.

You can add other conditions.

UNDER THE ADVANCED options:
- Tick "Delay event"
- Delay minutes - 1 minute (The time between your screen turning off/entering an area and the repeating Wi-Fi firing)
- Delay seconds - 0 seconds
Cancel delay if false - I ticked this so the rotating Wi-Fi will not run when my screen turns on again.

Require confirmation - No

Repeat event - yes
Repeat interval - 15 minutes (change this to how often you want the Wi-Fi to turn on and off)

Under ACTIONS,
Toggle Wi-Fi - On
Queue another event --> this will take you to a new screen.

QUEUED EVENT
The queued event is to turn the Wi-Fi off after 1 minute (or any duration you like), so I named it "Wi-Fi off"
Queue delay - 1 minute 0 seconds (change this depending on how long you want the Wi-Fi to be turned on each time it repeats)

CONDITIONS - none

ACTIONS:
Toggle Wi-Fi - Wi-Fi off​
--

This should give you an event summary of:
When [List of conditions, when screen turns off etc] - delay for 1 minute and then enable WiFi and queue an event named [Wi-Fi off or whatever you named your queued event] after 1 minutes and 0 seconds every 15 minutes.

It's been really useful and is just like having a data connection when I'm in places with continuous Wi-Fi. My email and Whatsapp messages get pushed without problems every 15 minutes! You can use this to toggle your mobile data to save on costs too.

Llama's great :)

Hi, you are just forgeting to activate syncro and ask for and update, then turn it off.
Also, this will only work with the screen off, if you are using your device you won't get syncro.

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I've been reviewing both Llama Profile and Smart Volume Control+. With comparing the two apps- Smart Volume Control+ came out way ahead of Llama Profiler.

llama never full functioned correctly with my Kindle Fire. Made another apps that I have crash. Where as SVC+ always works. I love the GPS profile which follows your steps and switches profiles according to what you assigned the ringtones too.

anon(5812192)

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I see there are lots of different ways to do what I wanted...

I'm trying to find the best possible way to do it.
kurokirasama's way seems a bit complex to me with all the variables.
I tried to simplify these events but then I had issues with the screen off (once screen off, data would always be on... I think kurokirasama has a variable for that).

So I tried another way, as in the first post of this thread, but tweaked:

SYNC MOBILE DATA
*repeat every 30 min
Conditions
- screen off
- wifi network disconnected (any wifi network)
Actions
- toggle mobile data off
-- queue another event (*delay 10 seconds):
-> toggle mobile data on
-> enable sync, request update
-> queue another event (*delay 3 minutes):
----> disable account sync
----> toggle mobile data off

And I have the same event but with WIFI instead of MOBILE DATA and as conditions: wifi network connected (any wifi network).

Then I have another event with SCREEN ON, to enable mobile data.

But I'm having some issues with these events.
Sometimes I have the screen on and suddenly mobile data/wifi connection is lost...

Don't know what I should do... I'll keep trying!

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I see there are lots of different ways to do what I wanted...I'm trying to find the best possible way to do it.kurokirasama's way seems a bit complex to me with all the variables.I tried to simplify these events but then I had issues with the screen off (once screen off, data would always be on... I think kurokirasama has a variable for that).So I tried another way, as in the first post of this thread, but tweaked:SYNC MOBILE DATA*repeat every 30 minConditions- screen off- wifi network disconnected (any wifi network)Actions- toggle mobile data off-- queue another event (*delay 10 seconds):-> toggle mobile data on-> enable sync, request update-> queue another event (*delay 3 minutes):----> disable account sync----> toggle mobile data offAnd I have the same event but with WIFI instead of MOBILE DATA and as conditions: wifi network connected (any wifi network).Then I have another event with SCREEN ON, to enable mobile data.But I'm having some issues with these events.Sometimes I have the screen on and suddenly mobile data/wifi connection is lost...Don't know what I should do... I'll keep trying!

That's because in your second queued event you turn data off without any condition, so it will always turn off mobile data whether screen is on or not. As your event is now, the screen off condition it only works as a trigger.

That's why mine might be a bit complex, because it have to deal with all that issues. Like after a synchronization if the screen is off, to turn off connection, but if the screen is on and I'm in wifi zone then no, but if I'm not then data will turn off at least I'm using an app that uses data.
That if my screen turn off, and I'm in wifi zone then turn it off at least there's a synchronization in course or an app that use wifi, etc... As you going noting every situation you realice that it wasn't as simple as one could think at first. I'll try to give you a corrected version of your event later.

Best regards,

anon(5812192)

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I think I had to much queued events, I simplified the event as follow:

SYNC MOBILE DATA
*delay 1 min, cancel delayed if false
*repeat every 30 min
Conditions
- screen off
Actions
- toggle mobile data on
- enable account sync, request update
-- queue another event (*delay 3 minutes):
-> disable sync
-> toggle mobile data off

AND

SYNC WIFI
*repeat every 30 min
Conditions
- screen off
- wifi network connected (any wifi network)
Actions
- toggle wifi on
-> disable sync
-> toggle wifi off

Then I have another event:

SCREEN ON
Conditions
- when user is present
Actions
- enable mobile data

I have the SYNC MOBILE DATA delayed 1 minute so the SYNC WIFI will start first (I mostly always in wifi areas).
That way, if I'm not mistaken, the SYNC MOBILE DATA will only fire if the SYNC WIFI is not connected (because SYNC WIFI will fire first)???

And a few posts back, kurokirasama said that "when user is present" condition didn't work for him.
Personnally, for me, I think it works well!

Last edited:

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I
Yeah, I think I had to much queued events, I simplified the event as follow:

SYNC MOBILE DATA
*delay 1 min, cancel delayed if false
*repeat every 30 min
Conditions
- screen off
Actions
- toggle mobile data on
-> disable sync
-> toggle mobile data off

AND

SYNC WIFI
*repeat every 30 min
Conditions
- screen off
- wifi network connected (any wifi network)
Actions
- toggle wifi on
-> disable sync
-> toggle wifi off

Then I have another event:

SCREEN ON
Conditions
- when user is present
Actions
- enable mobile data

I have the SYNC MOBILE DATA delayed 1 minute so the SYNC WIFI will start first (I mostly always in wifi areas).
That way, if I'm not mistaken, the SYNC MOBILE DATA will only fire if the SYNC WIFI is not connected (because SYNC WIFI will fire first)???

And a few posts back, kurokirasama said that "when user is present" condition didn't work for him.
Personnally, for me, I think it works well!

Hi, this way, your event have this issues.

1. Since the queued events in your sync event doesn't have any conditions, if you turn on the screen in the middle of a synchronization, at the end of it it will turn your connection off even if you have the screen on. To fix that, in the Queued event only disable Sync, then queue another even with 1 second delay to turn off connection with the condition : Screen is off. That way after a syncro only if the screen Is off it will turn of connections (data or wifi). The one second delay is because, a Queued event will wait until his conditions are true to trigger then disappears. But a delayed Queued event will disappears anyway if the conditions aren't true after the delay.

2 . When the wifi syncro turns off your wifi, the second conditions on in it will never be true, so data sync will activate even on wifi zones.
To fix that I recommend to use location conditions instead and enable wifi polling creating the house and near house areas that I mentioned a few post ago. So data sync are for out of wifi areas and wifi sync for Wifi areas.

3. About the user is present condition, it worked for me, doing what it has to, but it also triggered events with the screen off. To check if that happens to you, add a sound or a speak in the screen on event.

BR

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I have using this application for some time. I am very happy with the result that it shows when I create some simple rules like changing the profile and all. Now I want to create some kind of rules that involves advanced features. Can someone describe in detail about the usage of delay, cancel delay if false and repeat functions that are available there in simple English? There seems to be no easy explanations on these terms or at least I could not find any.

Thanks in advanced.....

crhistian

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
"Can someone describe in detail about the usage of delay, cancel delay if false and repeat functions that are available there in simple English?"

Delay- This is referring to the delay before a certain action is triggered. For example even though a condition such me entering my home area is present I can add a delay before a certain action such as connecting to the wifi takes place.

Cancel Delay if False- So, lets just use my previous example again. Let's assume that I entered my home area thus potentially triggering me connecting to my wifi. But let's suppose that I had a delay of 10 minutes and I actually left my home area before those 10 minutes were up. In that case my previous condition or trigger would now be false. It really wouldn't make sense for my wifi to turn on if I'm not even home.

Repeat Functions- Let's say I had an automation such as turning data on for a couple of minutes so I could receive my updates and then turning them off. Repeat function would be useful in this case. It just repeats whatever it was that you were doing. May not be relevant for some things but yeah thats the gist of it.

jape41

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have any pointers to an action+app that would allow me to play the latest podcast for a given channel? I'd like to play the latest morning news in response to a llama condition.

Southern Angel

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I just downloaded Llama today. I want to have a silent profile where my husband's calls and texts can ring through but no one else. I have figured out how to get the calls to ring through with noisy contacts but his texts don't come through. My brother-in-law says he has gotten his llama to work this way for his wife (my sister) but I can't figure it out. Thanks

Andrea

Olivier D

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
My brother-in-law says he has gotten his llama to work this way for his wife (my sister) but I can't figure it out. Thanks

Andrea

Wouldn't it be simpler to just ask your brother-in- law what he did exactly? He Might be using a different SMS app than the default one.

------------------------------------------------------------

Hey people!

I've been using Llama for quite some time now, but I'm still not used to variables. I've gone through this thread like from page 1 to current! :) I hope I get the attention most of you had.

First, this is the link where you can decode the shared Llama event. Time saver ;)

Now my main concerne is about this event I created :

Event name: Quiet at night

Between 23:00 and 11:00 when screen turns off when call state is in a call {When the current app is not **LONG LIST OF APPS**} when BTH220 is not connected when 'loud' does not have a value of 'yes' - delay for 10 minutes and then set Llama variable 'quiet' to 'yes', change profile to Quiet, disable account sync and run a Locale plugin 'Secure Settings: Mobile Data Disabled'

(full event link on social Llama website)

My goal with it is to avoid switching to Quiet if I'm using the phone or using an app that connects to the internet like the browser. And it's then when I'm done, it can wait for 10 minutes to switch to Quiet.
It doesn't switch to Quiet after I'm done, and last time when it triggered at 23:00, even after I had profile Loud activated it kept switching back to Quiet.

Here are my other events related to it :

Event name: Day loud

Between 06:00 and 10:00 - Require confirmation and then enable mobile data, enable WiFi for 1 minutes then turn off if not connected, change profile to Loud and set Llama variable 'loud' to 'yes'

Event name: At Home

At Home between 10:30 and 22:59 - enable WiFi for 15 minutes then turn off if not connected and set Llama variable 'Wi-Fi on' to 'yes'

Event name: Left Home

Upon leaving Home between 06:00 and 22:59 - change profile to Loud, disable WiFi, disable account sync and enable mobile data

Event name: Wi-Fi connect

When your phone connects to WiFi-Home between 06:00 and 22:59 - change profile to Normal, run a Locale plugin 'Secure Settings: Mobile Data Disabled' and set Llama variable 'Wi-Fi connected' to 'yes'

Event name: Wi-Fi disconnected

When your phone disconnects from WiFi-Home between 06:00 and 22:59 when 'quiet' does not have a value of 'yes' - run a Locale plugin 'Secure Settings: Mobile Data Enabled'

What should be changed? What do you guys think?

Last edited:

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I think your mistake is the condition: call state in a call, it should be, not in a call I guess?

What locale plugin are you using and what for?

Olivier D

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I think your mistake is the condition: call state in a call, it should be, not in a call I guess?

What locale plugin are you using and what for?

Hi kurokirasama! Thanks for replying quickly.
About the call state, I just checked and in Llama, it says not in a call. I think the decoder decoded the event wrong, that's why it's showing in a call.

I'm using Secure Settings as a locale plugin which works great. Except for the part where even after disabling keyguard, when you click on a notification, keyguard turns back on.

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I see.

About the locale plugin, as you are using it here it's redundant, since you can achieve the same with llama only.

About your event, I don't see why it doesn't works. I would add "when variable quiet doesn't have value yes", so it will not change to quiet when it is already in that profile.

About the others, I would improve that when your are not at wifi area, turn off wifi. And when you are, turn off mobile data.

About your post, could you delete the events details and just let the description like in llama? for easier reading

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20