Llama - Who's Using It and Any Good Examples?

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I use Adblock Plus, and many media apps like WatchESPN don't like the proxy based redirection that ABP does. So the solution is to disable the proxy before running these apps, and then re-enabling it (which requires manually naming and entering the port number) once I'm done. Is there any way I can automate this through Llama?

Bump. Anyone?

Offcentre

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Here's some things I've found useful with Llama besides other uses people have mentioned here:
  • Turn off pattern lock when connected to home wifi. Turn on pattern lock when disconnecting from home wifi, and turn on screen so that lock gets activated.
  • Change screen timeout to 5 minutes when on AC charger, and change to 30s when disconnected from charger.
  • Turn off mobile data when disconnecting from wifi, because my mobile provider bills data in 1MB blocks, and my phone connects & disconnects multiple times when I go through to my garage causing multiple sessions. Turn on mobile data if I start the maps app (I just turn it on manually if I need it for any other application).

nickmax1

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
In my "Areas" , of which I have 5 and all of which have access to a wifi connection only two of them have identified Wifi Names and only one of them has an identified Wifi Mac....how do I include my the Wifi Name and Wifi Mac to my known areas?

kraigg

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
In my "Areas" , of which I have 5 and all of which have access to a wifi connection only two of them have identified Wifi Names and only one of them has an identified Wifi Mac....how do I include my the Wifi Name and Wifi Mac to my known areas?

To get my WiFi names and MAC addresses to come up in my areas, I had to go into Settings > Experimental Stuff and enable the "Check for WiFi Networks" option. Then while that option is on, go back to the Areas tab and start learning your areas again. It will start picking up local WiFi names - you'll be see it in the Recent tab.

I turned the WiFi polling off after it finished learning the area, so it doesn't drain too much battery. The learned WiFi names and MAC still remain in your areas, even if you switch the option off.

nickmax1

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
To get my WiFi names and MAC addresses to come up in my areas, I had to go into Settings > Experimental Stuff and enable the "Check for WiFi Networks" option. Then while that option is on, go back to the Areas tab and start learning your areas again. It will start picking up local WiFi names - you'll be see it in the Recent tab.

I turned the WiFi polling off after it finished learning the area, so it doesn't drain too much battery. The learned WiFi names and MAC still remain in your areas, even if you switch the option off.

Thanks Kraigg - that worked nicely.

fingret

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Dunno if someone mentioned something like this before. Anyways.

I created some events to disable mobile data and account sync on some conditions to save battery. Here it goes:

Event 1 "disable mobile data and sync"

Conditions:
Charging status -> Using battery
AND -> when screen turns off
Active application is not tunein radio
OR
Current app is not google maps
OR
Current app is not google play
AND
When not at home

Actions:
Toggle mobile data off
Toggle account sync off

Event 2 "enable mobile data and sync"

Conditions:
Screen on
OR
at home

Actions:
Toggle mobile data on
Toggle account sync on, request update

Mobile data and sync are disabled when screen is off or when I'm not at home, or when I'm not using certain apps, or whenever screen is off. Reason I want mobile data enabled at home is that I use tethering.

nickmax1

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I know you can use the "active application" as a condition but i do not understand the application thereof.

I have an event called Quiet at night that is triggered after 23:00 till 645am and disables everything (wifi/data etc) and turns my phone to a silent profile.

I want another condition to say that if I have an app called atorrent running that this event does not trigger (as i dont want wifi to turn off)

any ideas?

Imposter

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Add the condition Active Application and choose atorrent as the app, but then select "App stopped or in background." This means it will check to make sure atorrent isn't running before triggering the event's actions.

I know you can use the "active application" as a condition but i do not understand the application thereof.

I have an event called Quiet at night that is triggered after 23:00 till 645am and disables everything (wifi/data etc) and turns my phone to a silent profile.

I want another condition to say that if I have an app called atorrent running that this event does not trigger (as i dont want wifi to turn off)

any ideas?

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Imposter - actually your advice didnt exist. Llama seems to ignore the fact that atorrent is running.....annoying that

You could try variables here, with the variable being atorrent. As a new event, set Llama variable atorrent (or whatever you want to call it) to whatever value-on, running, etc.

Then modify the quiet event to run unless the atorrent variable is on or running or whatever. You'd also want to specify what Llama should do when the atorrent variable is off.

Daz2014

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I have a problem with Llama.
When at home it switches profiles and events ok but elsewhere I have to wake the screen for it to change.
As an example I have it set to switch off wi-fi when I leave home and turn on data.When I get to work I wake the screen to find wi-fi still on but then it immediately switches events.
Any ideas ?

nickmax1

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
You could try variables here, with the variable being atorrent. As a new event, set Llama variable atorrent (or whatever you want to call it) to whatever value-on, running, etc.

Then modify the quiet event to run unless the atorrent variable is on or running or whatever. You'd also want to specify what Llama should do when the atorrent variable is off.

Thanks Raino - I will try that and let you know if it works.

On another matter - I work in the city (of London) and I work between two offices which are 100m apart from one another and use the same cell towers. One office has wifi the other does not. How do i alter my events to tell Llama I am in the office with no wifi and just turn of f my wifi and enable data till i leave office nr 2?

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
On another matter - I work in the city (of London) and I work between two offices which are 100m apart from one another and use the same cell towers. One office has wifi the other does not. How do i alter my events to tell Llama I am in the office with no wifi and just turn of f my wifi and enable data till i leave office nr 2?

Try this while you're at the office with WiFi:

Condition: WiFi network connected (select the SSID of the office network)
Action: mobile data>off

When you go to the other office, I think mobile data will not turn back on (because Llama doesn't reverse events unless specified.) If so, queue this counter-event to the event created above:

Condition: WiFi network connected (select the SSID of the office network)

Action:
1. mobile data>off

2. Queue another event
Condition: WiFi network disconnected (work SSID)
Action: mobile data>on

nickmax1

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
thanks Raino- seems simple enough.

The variables doesnt work though for my atorrent issue - Llama only detects the app being on when I have atorrent open and on the screen. As soon as my phone locks or if I minimise it Llama thinks that atorrent has been shutdown and the event doesnt fire.

bcchgeneral

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to these forums, but not new to Llama. I have an event that has two conditions:
(1) Not in area: Home, Work, and
(2) Llama variable: When 'Retest' has a value of '1'

And under Advanced -> Trigger filtering, only (2) Llama variable is allowed to trigger the event.

However, I've had occasions where both (1) and (2) are true, and the event hasn't fired (as shown in Event History). Has anyone had problems with Llama variable triggers or Not in area conditions?

buggy_droid

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
@bcchgeneral

I have read many reporting online Llama wouldn't check reliably for the current area or other conditions while screen is off (i.e., when phone is in sleep). It's highly dependent on hardware and OS, so if Llama consistently fails on your phone there isn't much you can do about it.

If Llama fails intermittently make sure its service is not killed by the OS or a task killer (you should not disable Llama's notification icon). If you use wifi for checking for area, keep wifi on during sleep by the OS setting.

If Llama works flawlessly and only the event you mentioned fails, I dunno, you need to give more details (what changes your variable? what's the event's action? are you sure the condition changed from false to true and not just stay true the whole time, etc. etc.) than that.

bcchgeneral

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
@buggy_droid

Thanks for the reply!

It's strange: I manually trigger (with a widget / shortcut) an event that changes the Llama variable, so the screen is definitely on at that point. I've even launched the Llama app and looked under 'Events' to see that both conditions for my event (both (1) Not in areas, and (2) Llama variable) are in green, so Llama detects both conditions correctly. The action changes the Llama variable so that it is no longer true - once the action fires, the (2) Llama variable condition should show red.

It has worked sometimes, so it is failing intermittently - and yet I have no task killers, and it is not set to hibernate with Greenify.

Fuller details: I use Llama to change my sound profile to loud when I'm not at home or at work. But sometimes, I want to manually mute my phone, so I set up a Llama shortcut / widget on the home screen to change the profile to 'silent' and 'lock profiles'. I also set up a Llama shortcut / widget on the home screen to undo the mute, which 'unlocks profile' and then switches the Llama variable 'retest' to '1' (true). This brings me to the event I mentioned, with conditions 'Not at home, not at work' and 'Llama variable retest has a value of 1', and actions 'change profile to loud' and 'set Llama variable retest to 0'.

(I have a corresponding event for 'At home, at work', and 'Llama variable retest has a value of 1', and actions 'change profile to normal' and 'set Llama variable retest to 0'.)

Any thoughts? Is there a more elegant way of achieving this? Or perhaps my Razr XT910 running 4.1.2 (stock) is one of those devices that doesn't play well with Llama...?

msurg

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site

Even with this option turned off LLama should know which area you are in, right?

In my case my WiFi SSID is Coconut and the area which Coconut is in is named as Home_Wifi.
When "Check for WiFi Networks" is checked LLama knows the area and shows as "Home_wifi". When it is not checked Llama shows it as "Unknown Area" while it is already connected to Coconut.

I am sure that Llama is aware of SSID name because events with SSID name (Coconut) trigger normally where events with area name (Home_Wifi) don't.

Fow known networks, regardless of "Check for WiFi Networks" option Llama should know the WiFi Network when it is connected to that network, right?

It is the same on rooted and stock SGS3 4.3 with Boeffla Kernel as well as on rooted and stock Nexus 10 4.4.3.

Any clues?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC