Llama - Who's Using It and Any Good Examples?

edkate

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey,
Thank you for your tip!
I will try it asap!

I have a similar event (minus the Bluetooth action,) and the only difference is that under Conditions, I have days (just like you,) but unlike you, I have time nested under the And condition. My event works 100% of the time, so why don't you give it a try?

edkate

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey,
Thank you for your tip!
I will try it asap!

I have changed the set up to include "And" condition.
When I call from work phone to my cell phone - profile works - correction - WORKED ONE TIME - then phone switches to Normal Profile with silent ringing...so bizarre !
If my hubby calls me from his cell phone - phone starts ringing. He is NOT set up to be Noisy contact in this Profile.

I Really don't know what's going on.

edkate

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I have changed the set up to include "And" condition.
When I call from work phone to my cell phone - profile works - correction - WORKED ONE TIME - then phone switches to Normal Profile with silent ringing...so bizarre !
If my hubby calls me from his cell phone - phone starts ringing. He is NOT set up to be Noisy contact in this Profile.

I Really don't know what's going on.

I think I figured it out.
I had Event called Leave Work:
Work area, 5- 6, change to Normal and enable Bluetooth for 20m in.

As I am having issues with Work towel cells (on/off, on/off), my phone kept on disconnecting from towers hence activating Normal Profile.

Hopefully that's what it was:)

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way through Llama to enable screen rotation in the browser only when a video is playing? At all other times, I'd like to keep orientation locked/under manual control.

edkate

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I have it set up to Rotation for Youtube and Picture viewing.

not sure about the browser.

Is there a way through Llama to enable screen rotation in the browser only when a video is playing? At all other times, I'd like to keep orientation locked/under manual control.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I have it set up to Rotation for Youtube and Picture viewing.

not sure about the browser.

Thanks. I have those two as well. I was just wondering if I can set it for this very specific condition. I don't usually rotate my browser otherwise. As far as I can tell, it seems to be an all-or-nothing deal :(

babbocan

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, this s a great thread!

I use the change screen lock password action to disable the password screen lock, would it still work if I enable full disk encryption (or at least external sd encryption)?

Thanks a lot

buggy_droid

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I was just wondering if I can set it for this very specific condition. I don't usually rotate my browser otherwise. As far as I can tell, it seems to be an all-or-nothing deal :(

I don't think Llama is your solution. Just use a browser or a dedicated app that throwd URL's with specific patterns to another app of your choice (i.e., a video player). Your video player then may rotate on its own, or use Llama to rotate screen when the player pops up.

SquaredCircle

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Hello, all.

I've got a Galaxy S4, and the new building I work in gets a terrible signal. I constantly drop to 3G, and even 1x, resulting in my phone always searching for a 4G signal and draining the battery significantly. I've set up an event for Llama to turn off 4G when I arrive at work, and to turn it back on when I leave, but my phone still heats up and loses power very quickly. Any thoughts? Does the 4G option in Llama just not work?

ninjazx

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I have been using Llama for sometime. I have numerous events and they work wonderfully.
But now, I have run into a scenario where I am not able to figure out. I would welcome some help.

I have an app WiFi Tether Router that can enable WiFi hot spot tethering (and bypass the native Android Mobile Hotspot so that I can avoid paying additional fees even thought I have unlimited data plan). Problem is that it doesn't work well with setting Allow Wi-Fi scanning = Y.

At first I tried using Condition Active application to trigger Action = Locale plugin:Secure Settings Wifi Scanning.

Example:
Conditions:
Active application:When the current app is WiFi Tether Router
Actions:
Locale plugin:Secure Setting Wifi Scanning Disabled

and the inverse:
Conditions:
Active application:When the current app is not WiFi Tether Router
Actions:
Locale plugin:Secure Setting Wifi Scanning Enabled

The problem with this is the app WiFi Tether Router is running; it is a setting in that app Enable/Disable WiFi router that I need to trigger Locale plugin:Secure Settings Wifi Scanning off/on respectively.

I solve half the problem by using this (turning Wifi Scanning off) :
Conditions:
App Notification Bar Icon:WiFi Tether Router
Actions:

But I don't know how I can trigger Wifi Scanning back on.

buggy_droid

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I never used WiFi Tether Router or changed wifi scanning setting, either. So whatever I say might not be much of help.
In general, the ability of Llama to interact with other apps is very limited, unless the apps you want to use with Llama have useful shortcut or intent actions.
Especially for event conditions, Llama can only recognize whether an app is in foreground or when it shows a notification.
I assume your WiFi Tether Router does not show notification when you disable WiFi router. Otherwise you would be using it to enable wifi scanning.
My default way of dealing with Llama's inability to monitor other apps' actions is not dealing with it. So, instead of having an event that looks like;

Condition: when app A does B.
Action: app C does D.

I would instead have something like;

Condition: (whatever)
Action: app A does B AND app C does D

Of course, app A and C have to have shortcut or intent that points to the specific actions you want to control (B and D above), like the intent you use to enable/disable wifi scanning. So, if your WiFi Tether Router has options to enable/disable router by shortcut or intent you can do it this way.
You can place a shortcut to the event like this on home screen or in a sub launcher for easy operation, or give it some conditions if you want the event to automatically run in certain time/locations.
If WiFi Tether Router doesn't have a shortcut ready for you to use, you can write to the developer and ask about an intent to enable/disable router.
Alternatively, you can switch to another router app that has a shortcut ready for you to use.

On a separate note, if your WiFi Tether Router gives you a toast when you disable router, there is at least one tool that convert toasts into notifications.
You then might be able to use the notification to enable wifi scanning.

I have been using Llama for sometime. I have numerous events and they work wonderfully.
But now, I have run into a scenario where I am not able to figure out. I would welcome some help.

I have an app WiFi Tether Router that can enable WiFi hot spot tethering (and bypass the native Android Mobile Hotspot so that I can avoid paying additional fees even thought I have unlimited data plan). Problem is that it doesn't work well with setting Allow Wi-Fi scanning = Y.

At first I tried using Condition Active application to trigger Action = Locale plugin:Secure Settings Wifi Scanning.

Example:
Conditions:
Active application:When the current app is WiFi Tether Router
Actions:

and the inverse:
Conditions:
Active application:When the current app is not WiFi Tether Router
Actions:
Locale plugin:Secure Setting Wifi Scanning Enabled

The problem with this is the app WiFi Tether Router is running; it is a setting in that app Enable/Disable WiFi router that I need to trigger Locale plugin:Secure Settings Wifi Scanning off/on respectively.

I solve half the problem by using this (turning Wifi Scanning off) :
Conditions:
App Notification Bar Icon:WiFi Tether Router
Actions:

But I don't know how I can trigger Wifi Scanning back on.

ninjazx

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I never used WiFi Tether Router or changed wifi scanning setting, either. So whatever I say might not be much of help.
In general, the ability of Llama to interact with other apps is very limited, unless the apps you want to use with Llama have useful shortcut or intent actions.
Especially for event conditions, Llama can only recognize whether an app is in foreground or when it shows a notification.
I assume your WiFi Tether Router does not show notification when you disable WiFi router. Otherwise you would be using it to enable wifi scanning.
My default way of dealing with Llama's inability to monitor other apps' actions is not dealing with it. So, instead of having an event that looks like;

Condition: when app A does B.
Action: app C does D.

I would instead have something like;

Condition: (whatever)
Action: app A does B AND app C does D

Of course, app A and C have to have shortcut or intent that points to the specific actions you want to control (B and D above), like the intent you use to enable/disable wifi scanning. So, if your WiFi Tether Router has options to enable/disable router by shortcut or intent you can do it this way.
You can place a shortcut to the event like this on home screen or in a sub launcher for easy operation, or give it some conditions if you want the event to automatically run in certain time/locations.
If WiFi Tether Router doesn't have a shortcut ready for you to use, you can write to the developer and ask about an intent to enable/disable router.
Alternatively, you can switch to another router app that has a shortcut ready for you to use.

On a separate note, if your WiFi Tether Router gives you a toast when you disable router, there is at least one tool that convert toasts into notifications.
You then might be able to use the notification to enable wifi scanning.

Thanks for the reply. I have a very basic concept of intent action. I'll google it and see what I can learn.
You guess correctly, when WiFi Tether Router enables WiFi hot spot tethering it sends notification which is what I have Llama look for to disable Wifi Scanning. And yes you are correct that when WiFi Tether Router disables WiFi hot spot tethering it does not send notification (it removes the notification).

WiFi Tether Router does have a widget that toggles enable/disable WiFi hot spot tethering and I do have that on a homescreen. Would I be able to use that with intents?

I do notice that when I enable/disable WiFi hot spot tethering there is a message that flashes
"<spinner> Enabling Wifi Router, Wait..." and "<spinner> Disabling Wifi Router, Wait..." Is that toast and would/how can I use that as trigger?
UPDATE: Converting toasting to notification didn't work. The message for WiFi Tether Router doesn't seem to be a toast. It did catch and converted toast from SuperUser though but I won't be able to use that toast as many conditions could trigger that toast.

Cool stuff learning about this. Thanks!

Last edited:

buggy_droid

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
WiFi Tether Router does have a widget that toggles enable/disable WiFi hot spot tethering and I do have that on a homescreen. Would I be able to use that with intents?

I'd try an app, QuickShortcutMaker.
In Llama, edit your event > add action > run app shortcut > "activity".
This will bring up QuickShortcutMaker, and it will list all of your installed apps. Expand WiFi Tether Router, and if you are lucky, you will find an activity that toggles the router. Test it, and if it works hit "create" and you have your shortcut.

If that doesn't work, there are two apps, "Widget to shortcut" and "Widget to shortcut kai", which convert, um, ...widget to shortcut. I've got only about 20% success rate using these apps. Who knows, this might be your lucky day. Again, add action > run app shortcut > "widget to shortcut".

Let me know if any of these work. I am kind of curious.

ninjazx

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I'd try an app, QuickShortcutMaker.
In Llama, edit your event > add action > run app shortcut > "activity".
This will bring up QuickShortcutMaker, and it will list all of your installed apps. Expand WiFi Tether Router, and if you are lucky, you will find an activity that toggles the router. Test it, and if it works hit "create" and you have your shortcut.

If that doesn't work, there are two apps, "Widget to shortcut" and "Widget to shortcut kai", which convert, um, ...widget to shortcut. I've got only about 20% success rate using these apps. Who knows, this might be your lucky day. Again, add action > run app shortcut > "widget to shortcut".

Let me know if any of these work. I am kind of curious.

Again, thanks for the advice/suggestion. Learning a lot.

Tried QuickShortcutMaker. Found one activity which just launches the application. :(

Tried both "Widget to shortcut" and "Widget to shortcut kai"
Crashes when I click Widget (to get list of widgets)

A bunch of errors get logged but I think this is the significant one:
java.lang.runtimeException: Unable to start activity Component:info{com.android.settings/com.android.setting.AppWidgetPickActivity}:android.content.res.Resources$NotFoundException: File res/drawable-xxhdpi/ic_launcher_alarmclock.png from drawable resource ID #0x7f020063

going to continue to play with it some. :) Anymore ideas?

anon(2141463)

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Llama for a couple years and love it. Searched this thread but didn't see any similar issues. Just got a VM LG Volt LS-740 and am having a cell tower polling problem. It works fine if mobile network is set to CDMA only but as soon as I change it to LTE/CDMA then RECENT shows "Cell: -1:-1:-1 No signal/Unknown" and it stops polling. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

buggy_droid

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
@ninjazx
Sorry that your app is being more difficult than other cases.
The fact that QuickShortcutMaker didn't give you any activity for the widget strongly indicates that your WiFi Tether Router or its widget is not designed to be manipulated from outside of the app itself.
Your best bet is writing to the developer of the app and ask what intent you can use to enable/disable the router. Much easier than blindly trying every possibility after another.
If you don't mind doing some more investigation yourself though, you can check logcat and see if enabling/disabling the router is a simple matter of starting/stopping a single service. If so, you can achieve that behavior by a single line of script (something in the line of "pm start <name of service>", I think).

ranman505

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi I've been using Llama for a while now but I can't get the condition known as the app notification bar icon to work. I have a HTC One and it only will notify you once when you miss a call, get a Visual VM or Message. I wanted to set it up to remind me every minute.
What I have:
Conditions
Charging status - Using Battery (so it doesn't happen on the charger at night)
When Messages shows a notification OR when Visual VM shows a notification.
Action
Play sound "Button"
Vibrate Pattern 0-500
Also on the Advanced tab I have it set to repeat event every one minute.
I have Llama set to device administrators privileges and Llama On in the Accessibility section.
Never works though. Any other ideas what I've missed.

mcherno

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone tell me how the backup feature works. I had to hard reset my phone recently and theoretically my settings were backed up in the past. I just don't know where they would have been stored or under what file name. I have an external SD card in my phone, so I'm assuming it's there but can't find anything. Is there a specific type of file? file name? location?

calisro

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Screenshot_2014-08-25-19-34-45.jpgScreenshot_2014-08-25-19-36-13.jpg
Hi I've been using Llama for a while now but I can't get the condition known as the app notification bar icon to work. I have a HTC One and it only will notify you once when you miss a call, get a Visual VM or Message. I wanted to set it up to remind me every minute.
What I have:
Conditions
Charging status - Using Battery (so it doesn't happen on the charger at night)
When Messages shows a notification OR when Visual VM shows a notification.
Action
Play sound "Button"
Vibrate Pattern 0-500
Also on the Advanced tab I have it set to repeat event every one minute.
I have Llama set to device administrators privileges and Llama On in the Accessibility section.
Never works though. Any other ideas what I've missed.

odontiatros1986

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Hello there!

I am currently using a Moto G (no root, no custom ROM). Llama has learned my home.
I want to create an event that when at home, turns WiFi ON, turns Sync ON, updates mails, facebook messages etc, turns WiFi OFF, turns Sync OFF, repeating every 30 minutes.
I created an event that does exactly what I want when I run its actions to test it. However, when i leave the event alone to do what it is scheduled to do, it does nothing at all.

Any ideas about what goes wrong?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463