Llama - Who's Using It and Any Good Examples?

buggy_droid

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestion.
I did not find how to add a Queued event, so I am using a variable now. The first event makes a variable as "1", then the second event looks for when this variable has turned to "1", delays for 3 mins and disables data after that. Seems to be working. But am not sure, if my phone is locked/screen off, can Llama still turn the data on ?
Will update on this.

Update - it seems once the screen is off, the event fails to turn on the data automatically. Wonder what I am missing.

"Queue another event" is in the list of actions to choose when you make an event. But, if your current set of events work, there is no need to set up a queued event.

I can tell you that my Nexus 5 running on Kitkat never failed to turn on either mobile data or WiFi automatically whether the screen is on/off or locked/unlocked.
On the other hand, my Galaxy S2 was never able to establish a WiFi connection when the screen is off and Llama turns WiFi on (although it did fine with mobile data). I needed to have Llama also unlock and light up the screen when it turns WiFi on to connect automatically to my home network.
I think the behaviors like that are hard-coded in the hardware and even beyond control by the OS.
So, I don't think there is anything you can do about it, besides turning screen on at the same time as Llama turns the data on.

tori729

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Ok so I've had Llama for a few weeks now and it's driving me crazy that I can't figure out how to do this:
The main reason I downloaded it was to save cell service while I'm at home. We moved to a new house and the cell service is 2-3 bars, compared to mostly 4 at our old place. I use wi-fi for my home calling and 3g while I'm out so I would like it to turn on airplane mode when home, then turn on wifi. Then when I leave, turn off airplane mode and turn wifi off. The only problem is when I leave, it doesn't know I'm leaving home because it's on airplane mode. So unless I manually turn it off, nothing happens. I've tried switching it to instead turn on and off when I disconnect from my wifi network but then when I get home and it connects to my network, then disconnects to go into airplane mode, and then the other option triggers because it thinks I'm leaving home again and it starts cycling. This is what I have right now:
Screenshot_2015-09-28-14-57-22.png
Screenshot_2015-09-28-14-57-57.png

It also often give me this error message:
Screenshot_2015-09-28-14-57-13.png

I'm on a rooted S4 Mini, just installed Secure Settings and added it to my module thingie but I don't know if I'm supposed to do anything else to make it work right because I'm totally new at this rooting thing.

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I've had Llama for a few weeks now and it's driving me crazy that I can't figure out how to do this:
The main reason I downloaded it was to save cell service while I'm at home. We moved to a new house and the cell service is 2-3 bars, compared to mostly 4 at our old place. I use wi-fi for my home calling and 3g while I'm out so I would like it to turn on airplane mode when home, then turn on wifi. Then when I leave, turn off airplane mode and turn wifi off. The only problem is when I leave, it doesn't know I'm leaving home because it's on airplane mode. So unless I manually turn it off, nothing happens. I've tried switching it to instead turn on and off when I disconnect from my wifi network but then when I get home and it connects to my network, then disconnects to go into airplane mode, and then the other option triggers because it thinks I'm leaving home again and it starts cycling. This is what I have right now:
View attachment 198857
View attachment 198858

View attachment 198859

I'm on a rooted S4 Mini, just installed Secure Settings and added it to my module thingie but I don't know if I'm supposed to do anything else to make it work right because I'm totally new at this rooting thing.
Hi, First enable wifi polling in experimental settings.

Rename your Home are learned by cell towers to Near Home.

Create a new area called Home and add to it your wifi name (like if where a cell tower).

Create the following events:

- At Near Home but not at Home, enable wifi polling to every 5 minutes.

- At Home OR upon leaving Near Home, disable wifi polling.

And now you can create the events you mentioned, or they should start working if you already have them.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9100 mediante Tapatalk

tori729

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi, First enable wifi polling in experimental settings.

Rename your Home are learned by cell towers to Near Home.

Create a new area called Home and add to it your wifi name (like if where a cell tower).

Create the following events:

- At Near Home but not at Home, enable wifi polling to every 5 minutes.

- At Home OR upon leaving Near Home, disable wifi polling.

And now you can create the events you mentioned, or they should start working if you already have them.

It didn't work. :( I'm about to give up on Llama, it seems like almost everything I set up on it backfires. :/

buggy_droid

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
...I've tried switching it to instead turn on and off when I disconnect from my wifi network but then when I get home and it connects to my network, then disconnects to go into airplane mode, and then the other option triggers because it thinks I'm leaving home again and it starts cycling.
You can exclude WiFi radio from being disabled by airplane mode.
Before toggling airplane mode, add an action:
Locale plugin > Secure Settings > Airplane Mode Radio (or something like that).
Here you can choose which radio devices airplane mode disables. Leave out WiFi from the list of the radios.
If you want, you can change back Airplane Mode radio once you turn Airplane Mode off.

Try also using Secure Settings to toggle airplane mode instead of letting Llama to do it.

Make sure to install SuperSU from Play Store, which grant/deny root access to Llama, Secure settings, and other apps.

Edgar Chimal

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I have been reading this thread for a long time. About one page every day. I learned a lot of things!

So, I have 2 things I want to make with Llama.

1) I want to concatenate some events.

Event name: Silent Night
At Home and between 23:00 and 06:00;
Change profile to Silent,
Set 'alarm variable' to 0,

Event name: Alarm
When next alarm is due;
Set 'alarm variable' to 1

Event name: Radio
When 'alarm variable' has a value of 1;
delay for 10 minutes,
then turn on Radio app.

The problem:
Alarm started to ring, I swiped my finger over the screen and I stayed in bed.
The alarm variable was successfully set to 1, but the Radio app didn't started until I unlocked manually the phone, about 1 hour after.

I can't figure how to force the radio app to start with the phone locked. The radio app works even with the phone locked, as most of music apps do it. I can see the radio widget app if the screen is locked. But it doesn't start if I didn't unlocked the phone.

2) I use one app called Hatomico. This app answers my calls and turn on the speaker when I'm driving. If I receive one SMS it also reads it to me. In Android 4.4 it can even read Whatsapp and Telegram messages. Very useful.

But, I want use Llama to deactivate the screen lock when I'm using Hatomico. (It would be more easy turn on Waze if I found an unusual traffic on the streets.)

The logic seems easy to me:

Event name: Easy
When Hatomico app starts;
Set 'easy variable' to 1

Event name: Driving
When 'easy variable' has a value of 1;
Delay 2 seconds
Disable screen lock after unlocking

Event name: Easy off
When Hatomico app is closed;
Set 'easy variable' to 0,
Enable screen lock

But the "Disable screen lock after unlocking" action is not working. This happens because when I start Hatomico app, it happens as a "background" process, and I only get an Icon notification. The only way to set 'easy variable' a value of 1 is when I get a message or a call, and the app shows up on the screen. If I get no message (most of the cases) Llama will never assign a value of 1 to the 'easy variable'.

Any idea or guide about what I have to do?

Last edited:

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
you cant disable the screen lock completely . you can set it to password or no password but that will set it to swype.
so if you set screen password to "12345" it will be set.
and if then you set it to "" that will set it to swype.

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I have been reading this thread for a long time. About one page every day. I learned a lot of things!

So, I have 2 things I want to make with Llama.

1) I want to concatenate some events.

Event name: Silent Night
At Home and between 23:00 and 06:00;
Change profile to Silent,
Set 'alarm variable' to 0,

Event name: Alarm
When next alarm is due;
Set 'alarm variable' to 1

Event name: Radio
When 'alarm variable' has a value of 1;
delay for 10 minutes,
then turn on Radio app.

The problem:
Alarm started to ring, I swiped my finger over the screen and I stayed in bed.
The alarm variable was successfully set to 1, but the Radio app didn't started until I unlocked manually the phone, about 1 hour after.

I can't figure how to force the radio app to start with the phone locked. The radio app works even with the phone locked, as most of music apps do it. I can see the radio widget app if the screen is locked. But it doesn't start if I didn't unlocked the phone.

2) I use one app called Hatomico. This app answers my calls and turn on the speaker when I'm driving. If I receive one SMS it also reads it to me. In Android 4.4 it can even read Whatsapp and Telegram messages. Very useful.

But, I want use Llama to deactivate the screen lock when I'm using Hatomico. (It would be more easy turn on Waze if I found an unusual traffic on the streets.)

The logic seems easy to me:

Event name: Easy
When Hatomico app starts;
Set 'easy variable' to 1

Event name: Driving
When 'easy variable' has a value of 1;
Delay 2 seconds
Disable screen lock after unlocking

Event name: Easy off
When Hatomico app is closed;
Set 'easy variable' to 0,
Enable screen lock

But the "Disable screen lock after unlocking" action is not working. This happens because when I start Hatomico app, it happens as a "background" process, and I only get an Icon notification. The only way to set 'easy variable' a value of 1 is when I get a message or a call, and the app shows up on the screen. If I get no message (most of the cases) Llama will never assign a value of 1 to the 'easy variable'.

Any idea or guide about what I have to do?
For unblocking the lock screen, use the xposed module lo lookscreen disabler...

Jane Manly

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I was hoping someone could help me figure out how to make my llama act as geofencing for my wifi thermostat. The thermostat has geofencing through GPS, but then I have to have my GPS on all day draining my battery. I have a phone that can't be rooted or I'd just have llama turn the GPS on and off. I'd rather have the cell tower geofence anyway.

I see that llama can initiate actions in other apps, but I have zero programming knowledge so need someone to walk me through detailed description of how to fill out the llama action. I'm using a Lux Pro Geo Thermostat and it's default luxproducts app. It has a widget toggle for away as well as the GPS trigger.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else run into issues the Llama on Android 5.1? I just purchased a new phone (LG V10) and save my settings on my old phone and loaded them into my new phone.

Everything is working fine, except the it isn't recognizing any of the Cell towers in my saved areas. I thought maybe the format had changed, so I tried deleted an area and recreating it, but while it will go though the process, it never saves any new tower info.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Yep, with Lollipop it won't find any cell towers unless you switch to CDMA mode to learn them. After you learn the area, you should be able to switch to LTE & the functionality should work. Although for me, sometimes in LTE mode it won't trigger events so I have to manually do it, but it "mostly" works.

It's a shame it seems like the dev abandoned the app, but it sort of still works.

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I just realized that it really won't work properly on LTE, even after learning your towers. It dawned on me this morning that the events that still trigger for me are actually the time based ones, none of my location based events are working since Lollipop. Sorry for the misinformation above.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
No problem. My location based ones were working on my old phone on 5.0.1, but are no longer working on my new phone on 5.1.

Looks like its time to look for a new tool. I was going to try out tasker, but it closes right after I launch it.

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm planning to try Tasker again too, I just haven't gotten around to it. There are really good Tasker threads here & elsewhere that might be able to help you get started. Hopefully there's something simple that will make it work for you.

Last edited:

Ward Coysman

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I just realized that it really won't work properly on LTE, even after learning your towers. It dawned on me this morning that the events that still trigger for me are actually the time based ones, none of my location based events are working since Lollipop. Sorry for the misinformation above.

I stopped use LIama because of this , i started using IF.

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I know there's a similar app out there called If This Then That, but I've always seen it referred to as IFTTT.

FYI I'm starting to play around with Tasker & it's not as complicated as it was a few years ago when I first tried it. I've managed to create a few location & time based rules & they all work in LTE! 😀

Unless your phone is really old & for some reason can't handle it because of that, I'd highly recommend switching to Tasker just because there's such a huge support community for it.

Last edited:

anon8164182

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if Llama has been abandoned? The app and the dev's website haven't been updated in a year :(

It's a wonderful app but I've looked at some similar apps and they have features Llama doesn't (eg priority mode works properly).

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if Llama has been abandoned? The app and the dev's website haven't been updated in a year :(

Seems to be abandoned. I've tried emailing the developer and have gotten no response.

It's a wonderful app but I've looked at some similar apps and they have features Llama doesn't (eg priority mode works properly).

Which similar apps have you tried? I've been using tasker, but it is a lot more complicated to do the simple stuff I used to do in Llama.