Currently, I have not chosen a Google Voice Number, and am just using Google Voice through my regular mobile number. My question is, if I do choose an actual Google Voice number, in addition to receiving voicemail functionality through Google Voice for calls made to my Google Voice number, will I ALSO still receive that same Google Voice voicemail functionality to calls made to my regular mobile number? If not, what will happen when people call my regular voicemail number?
    01-25-2012 12:07 PM
    When they call your regular number it will do exactly the same as it does now. If you have it forwarded to GV then it will still forward to GV, if you don't it won't. Not everyone needs a seperate GV number. I use mine for a couple reasons:

1. text messages. I have no texting on my phone, in fact I have them blocked by verizon, but using my GV number my family can text me, and I can text back using GV.

2. local number. I moved across the state but wanted to keep my cell number I had for the last 15 years or so, but wanted a local number in my new home, now I have both. And when I got it they had enough available numbers that they are very similar, diff area code, but only one number different on the rest, makes it easy for me to remember.

The main reason I'm on GV is voicemail transcription. I am commonly in an area where there is no cell coverage, but I do have access to the internet. Getting the voicemail in my e-mail works! Thsi of course works no matter which number you use.
    01-25-2012 12:24 PM