Looking for Health/Fitness Apps! Favorites and Ideas!

Lali S

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

What are your favorite Health and Fitness apps??
Calorie counters? Pedometers? Heart rate monitors?

Have great ideas for Health and Fitness apps? Share your ideas :) !!

Last edited by a moderator:

MacGal01

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I use a FitBit which uses it's own website. For calorie counting I am using the Loseit! app which pull over the information from the FitBit. Loseit! let's you track calories, weight and some fitness stuff. It is easy to use and customize.

RIMMAN

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm using a standard pedometer (probably cost $10), as far as an app, I am using the free version of the endomondo app and uploading to their website. There is a paid version which offers some more features and the web site is fairly detailed.

I already had a Polar heart rate monitor before I got my android phone. So, I still use that, but I also use CardioTrainer to log my runs or other exercise. CardioTrainer has a pedometer feature so I use that when I'm walking on a treadmill or indoors.

I think the biggest deal for me is that CardioTrainer will automatically upload my run information to Facebook for me. This provides a bit of accountability. I have friends who will ask me about it if they haven't seen a run logged in a while.

Of course, it's also nice to be able to go back and see how I've been improving.

On occasion when I'm travelling for work and a run outside isn't practical, I've used the 100 Push-ups app.

- John

Lali S

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
@MacGal01: I hear great things about the Fitbit. Do you use the Fitbit to measure your sleep? Have you? How accurate do you think it is?

@Ding: I haven't tried endomondo, but people love it. Would you be interested in a Pedometer on a device such as the WIMM One? (WIMM Labs). Is that something you would use?

@Bones10: I personally love Nike+ because it uploads to Facebook. Accountability is definitely important to me. In addition to Facebook, what other social networking sites would you like to have your Runs uploaded to?
In regards to a heart rate monitor, would you be interested in having a heart rate monitor Micro Application on the WIMM One? Would you use it? (WIMM Labs).

MacGal01

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Lali S.... I do use it to measure my sleep. I would say it's about 85% accurate. I have noticed that when you lay down to go to sleep if you don't move around before you fall asleep it thinks you fell asleep much sooner than you did. It's interesting to see how many times you awakened during the night.

Lali S

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
@MacGal01

That is really awesome. I was interested in JawBone's UP because of the sleep monitor...but since that didn't do so well, I was waiting to see what else would be good. I have a lot of trouble sleeping so a sleep monitor would be great. 85% is pretty good- not the worst! :)

Do you believe that a sleep monitor would be a good Micro App for a wearable device such as the WIMM One?

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I've been using MyFitnessPal for a couple of weeks and I really like it. I use it as a calorie counter. I'm very data oriented and this app makes losing weight just like budgeting money. You have a target calorie goal for each day and what you eat decreases your remaining calorie budget and exercising adds to your remaining calorie budget. You just have to avoid going below 0 in the remaining calorie budget and voila! you lose weight.

It has a vast food library and will read the barcodes off of packages. I've yet to run across something it hasn't known about when I scanned it's barcode.

primetime34

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I have been using kettlebells for a few years now to maintain my weight. I highly suggest using them as well. There are quite a few apps about kettlebells in the market and most of them are pretty good. You get to burn a ton of calories in a very little time. Hope this helps.

Lali S

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
@rcpa

I love that it has a bar code scanner. I think that is very useful. However, how often do you use it? Every time you go to the grocery store? Or you like it and think it is helpful, but don't use it often ?

@primetime34
Oh, I don't know many people who use kettlebells. Good to know. Do these apps count and record reps? or calories burned?

primetime34

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
@rcpa

I love that it has a bar code scanner. I think that is very useful. However, how often do you use it? Every time you go to the grocery store? Or you like it and think it is helpful, but don't use it often ?

@primetime34
Oh, I don't know many people who use kettlebells. Good to know. Do these apps count and record reps? or calories burned?

They count reps or time, depending on the app. I don't know of one that counts calories burned.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Lali S

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
@primetime 34
Are you interested in wearable devices, such as the WIMM One?
Would you be interested in a Micro App on the WIMM One that counted reps, time, or even calories burned? SportyPal was created as a Micro App for the WIMM One, as well as some developers have created other fitness apps that are similar- you can check out the WIMM Labs forums if you would like to see what Micro Apps have been created.

primetime34

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
@primetime 34
Are you interested in wearable devices, such as the WIMM One?
Would you be interested in a Micro App on the WIMM One that counted reps, time, or even calories burned? SportyPal was created as a Micro App for the WIMM One, as well as some developers have created other fitness apps that are similar- you can check out the WIMM Labs forums if you would like to see what Micro Apps have been created.

Sounds intriguing. I hadn't heard of the WIMM One until now. I did a quick seach and noticed it is $200. What does it do exactly? Is it worth it (in your opinion). I would be really intrigued in making my kettlebell workouts more precise by using technology. So, teach me. :D

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

RiverDog

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
More health than fitness, really, but I love Fooducate. Gives you lots of great info about food by scanning bar codes. I walk up and down the aisles in my supermarket scanning cereal boxes like a nut. :confused:

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
@rcpa

I've only been using it for about a month, but I use it every day. I tend to eat prepackaged microwave food for lunch, so when I pack my lunch in the morning, I scan the entree package, then my yogurt cup, then my fruit cup. My breakfast is the same everyday, so I pick it out of the recently used list. If I get a snack at work, I scan the packaging.

Dinners that you make yourself are a little tougher, but you can create "recipes" where you scan the packaging of each of the ingredients or search for them if it's something like eggs or pork. You enter how many servings of each ingredients you are using and how many servings the finished dish will make and it calculates the final calories per serving. Then the next time you make the same meal, you can pick it from your recipe list. It takes a little time to do it, but there's usually time while you are waiting for things to cook. And since we usually repeat meals month after month, you only have to do it once the first time you cook that meal.

The list of food it has is crowd sourced, so people are entering the information if the come across something not in the library. Restaurant meals are also in the library. I had "Rattlesnake Pasta" at Pizzeria Uno's a couple of weeks ago and when I searched for "Rattlesnake Pasta", the Pizzeria Uno's version was there for me to choose.

The only exercising I do is on an elliptical and I use the calorie number provided by the elliptical machine when I log my exercising.

Lali S

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
@primetime34
Oh yeah it is a really cool device. The WIMM One is basically a wearable Android device. Currently it is being sold as a developer preview, and sold with a watchstrap, so it can be worn as a watch. It is a 1 inch by 1 inch module, containing Micro Applications. The focus is on the micro experience. Micro Applications bring quick, glanceable information to your device, currently on your wrist. It works in companion with your smartphone, so that you don't have to pull your phone out of your pocket constantly. I use it the most to check weather, my google calendar, and see incoming calls and SMS. I also use the Coffee card app to pay for drinks at Starbucks and play fun games on it. I personally don't wear watches, so having something on my wrist has taken some getting used to. However, there are more concepts- you can see on the WIMM Labs website or facebook page, in which I would like to use- such as a keychain accessory with caribeaner so that I can put the module on my keys. A developer just created a great app called Sit-Up and it counts and records your sit ups. Also you can choose your workout intensity, and it will run you through a work out, and you can input personal profile such as weight and height, to get accurate calorie burn. In addition, SportyPal has created a Micro App for the WIMM One- so you can use that for bar bells, running, elipitical, etc. :D

Lali S

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
@rcpa
Thanks for the explanation!! I like that it saves your entries so you don't have to repeat the entries over and over. I personally don't have a whole lot of patience, so that would save me sometime. I will check it out. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze