Better keyboard than the stock keyboard?

slthree

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I am loving the stock keyboard and I dont even use it in Landscape. I think its brilliant.

Of course, that doesnt mean there isnt a better one.

I came from a treo 755p with a hard keyboard. But, about 6 months ago I did a trial with the Hero and made lots of mistakes.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
i am going to have to second "smart keyboard" one of the few keyboards with multi-touch, the ability to learn the words you type the most and it has a very crisp look to it. their is a lite verison on the market still. give it a shot, see what you think and if you like it you can buy the full version. the dev is great because he is constantly updating and keeping it at the top.

sethjk

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Google Swype- the BEta is closed and it's not in the market but droid-life or droiddog had it at one point. Also, the HTC keyboard is great.
I liked Swype better than shape writer.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
the problem with the htc keyboard is that it doesn't have multi-touch which if you type fast, its necessary. im not a fan of swype anymore. sometimes gets buggy and when i used it in the past i had trouble getting the words i wanted to show up. i might try it again soon but for right now between smart keyboard and then the actual physcial keyboard, im good

broli

May 29, 2010
Visit site
i have been wondering about this too.

i cant see paid apps in my country. tried swipe from the dev page and dosnt seem to work for the Motorola Milestone.

gona check the others mentioned here!

dspcap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I just installed smart keyboard the other day and finding it easier than the stock. It also has better options.

Clymmer#AC

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I've just started using ShapeWriter and have been really impressed so far. It's been surprisingly accurate and speedy. I've only been using it for about an hour but I've only made a minuscule fraction of the mistakes I normally would have using the stock keyboard or voice recognition (mainly it's the lack of capitalisation that gets me with the voice recognition).

ShapeWriter has been great so far.

Pipester

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I think I am one of the few that prefer the stock keyboard. I even rocked the HTC_IME on the Droid, still digging the stock one.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
i think smart keyboard is the best on-screen keyboard around. it isn't about the bells and whistles that "better keyboard" has and it was the first keyboard app that enabled multitouch (from what i am aware of) and if you type fast then that is necessary. i have a small list of apps i have paid and didn't refund, that is one of them.

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Can't get the hang of Swype - but Smart Keyboard is excellent! I could not get used to having the 123 key on the right after having an iPhone for a year. Like this much more than the stock HTC kb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674