07-12-2010 10:19 AM
46 12
tools
    wait waht???? there is autotext on android? i reallllly missed about about my blackberry

is there still a voice record button with this kb?
    Yeah. Autotext with SK pro. Can't remember about the voice thing. I've already switched to "better keyboard." Works a lot better for me.
    06-09-2010 07:42 PM
    So does Smart Keyboard have the voice button or do I need to get the Pro version?

EDIT: Installed SK Pro and it does have a voice button. Thanks guys. This is the keyboard for me on my Evo. Works great!
    06-10-2010 12:49 PM
    Installed Swype yesterday. Don't need anything else.
    06-10-2010 01:23 PM
    Installed Swype yesterday. Don't need anything else.
    I liked swype til I learned 3 things. It doesn't do auto period after 2 spaces. And in landscape mode, the space key is ALL the way to the right! and when it gives word sugesstions, a big box pops up right in the middle of the screen as opposed to several suggestions appearing horizontally of others.
    06-10-2010 03:33 PM
    Just created and downloaded a custom HTC IME keyboard and it's awesome. Definitely better than the stock keyboard.
    06-10-2010 04:57 PM
    Time for a real noob question...

I've been using the stock keyboard so far and have tried Smart Keyboard and Shape Writer. Do nonstock keyboards support autocorrection like the stock one does? If so I can't figure out how to activate it for the life of me. I know autocorrection only works in certain types of entry fields but I don't think I've ever seen it in the two alternatives I've tried.
    06-10-2010 08:12 PM
    I liked swype til I learned 3 things. It doesn't do auto period after 2 spaces.
    Ahh... but why press space twice for what you're shooting for when you can just swype from whatever punctuation you want(period, question mark, comma, exclamation) to space for the same result?
    And in landscape mode, the space key is ALL the way to the right!
    Fair enough
    and when it gives word sugesstions, a big box pops up right in the middle of the screen as opposed to several suggestions appearing horizontally of others.
    Why I don't have it give suggestions when typing, only when Swyping. And it's in a spot that I'm more likely to notice, if you ask me.
    06-10-2010 09:20 PM
    I want to try the stock keyboard...
    I have the Evo, so I use the Sense keyboard... and you can't really type quickly or it won't register all of the taps.

I don't want to have to buy a keyboard. =/
    06-10-2010 11:27 PM
    Just created and downloaded a custom HTC IME keyboard and it's awesome. Definitely better than the stock keyboard.
    I'm a noob so i apologize in advance but where do i download these custom HTC IME keyboards from? I saw this one from another site and would really want this!
    06-10-2010 11:56 PM
    I have the free version of the Smart Keyboard and like it so much that I want to upgrade to the Pro version.

However, when I go to purchase it from the market, under Select Payment, I get a pop-up that says "Unusable for this purchase" when trying to use my AmexCard on my Google Account.

Is it blocked because the app is sold via Google UK, and I'm in the US?

How are US folks purchasing this app?

Thanks.
    06-11-2010 08:40 AM
    I have the free version of the Smart Keyboard and like it so much that I want to upgrade to the Pro version.

However, when I go to purchase it from the market, under Select Payment, I get a pop-up that says "Unusable for this purchase" when trying to use my AmexCard on my Google Account.

Is it blocked because the app is sold via Google UK, and I'm in the US?

How are US folks purchasing this app?

Thanks.
    I bought the pro version and have been using it since. bought it from the market no problem.
    06-11-2010 01:06 PM
    I'm a noob so i apologize in advance but where do i download these custom HTC IME keyboards from? I saw this one from another site and would really want this!
    Right here -> Download: HTC IME Keyboard for Froyo | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

Different versions should be on the site if you do a search.
    06-11-2010 01:11 PM
    Swype ftw. Can't use anything else!
    I've tried.
    06-11-2010 01:24 PM
    I'm using touchpal now and it's available on the Market. I almost feel like home again. lol. Love touchpal on my TP2. It doesn't have the voice button though but going on website and searching is much easier now for me since it has its own word prediction.
    06-11-2010 01:25 PM
    I love Swype. I had it before and deleted it because me and Swype didn't get along, but after watching the videos on the Swype website and actually giving myself some time to get used to it, I love it. I used to need landscape mode for keyboards, but now I'm a fast one finger typer in portrait.

SlideIT is the closest to Swype in my experience, but it doesn't handle punctuation the same way, and that's a deal breaker for me. I still have the free version on my phone to play around with, but Swype is my main keyboard. I had ShapeWriter for a while, but I was nowhere near as accurate with ShapeWriter as I am with Swype or SlideIT. Something about the way it works didn't agree with my fingers.
    06-11-2010 02:23 PM
    I use Swipe also.
    06-11-2010 03:06 PM
    Swype for me. Started using it with my WinMo Omnia. Was really glad to find for my DI, too.
    06-11-2010 05:03 PM
    Swype for me. I've only been using it for a few days but I'm hooked.
    06-11-2010 09:42 PM
    For those having trouble with the stock keyboard, definitely make sure to do the calibration before giving up on it. I was getting really frustrated with stupid recognition errors it was making until I read a suggestion on this board to calibrate it. It makes a world of difference and actually fixed the issues I was having with it.

Currently experimenting with alternate ones right now and really digging swype. The tutorial is a must for this one.
    06-12-2010 12:32 PM
    Thanks to this thread I finally got the nerve up to try designing my own keyboard via the HTC_IME High Res Kitchen. I've tried a few "Plug 'n Play" keyboards and keep coming back to the native board because I really like the simplicity and familiarity. But gads, it's really a plain Jane & needs some jazzing up!

So, armed with a little information gleaned from this and a few other threads I finally figured out how to design, download, install and launch a keyboard that suits my needs. Kudos to Jonasl's HTC_IME high res kitchen - You guys rock!

*Note to the uninitiated, I found it much easier to first "play" building my keyboard via my computer because of the larger screen and ease of navigation. Once familiar with the high res kitchen customization cues I switched to accessing their site via my DInc. (Google search, www.gIMpSTa.com) Face it, the phone screen is pretty darn small for such a thing without a little familiarity. I found it much easier to follow my rehearsed design then download my keyboard via the phone.

Once downloaded to the phone the Astro app with a little info gathered from the forums here at Android Central guided me through the rest of the install.

Also, a big thank you to Android Central! This has been a great place for gathering nuggets of information and seeking fellow user advice. I hope I can "Pay it forward" by my continued participation.

07-12-2010 01:05 AM
    On smart keyboard how do you get the auto correct to work?
    07-12-2010 10:19 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD