Anything similar to "BackupBuddy" or "RescoBackup" from Palm for Android Phones?

DroidGnome

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I've got my EVO 4G phone almost all set but I've not set up my Exchange server sync yet due to the potential for the reset loop bug.

Should it strike for those unaware, you must reset your phone, which wipes it clean from what I gather.

Is there any sort of app to totally backup the phone to the SD card (or cloud if it must) so that in the event of a full wipe, you can restore your apps, settings etc...?

I used to use Resco Backup all the time on my Palm and it was a lifesaver in so many ways (mostly because I deleted contact groups by accident :eek: )

Wondering if any such app exists for Andriod, or if there is a another way to backup 'everything' in case of a wipe?

DroidGnome

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I looked into that earlier but it only backs up the install files (.apk) it cannot backup any of your applications settings :( so it's somewhat limited.

Considering the market will let you re-download your apps, and Appbrain can keep track of what is installed.. it seems somewhat redundant to pay for MyBackup to do the same thing.

Or have they upgraded the software and not upgraded their website description? Also have you ever had to 'restore' your phone yet? How did it go?

DroidGnome

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm finding that most of what I'm looking for will require 'root' access.. this might be harder than I thought. I wonder if the 'unrevoked' method will work.

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
Does Sprite Backup, backup the program data and settings too?
It says it does in the selection page that you use to select what items you want backed up. It also backs up to SD card, Box.net, or Dropbox.

I haven't needed to restore any of my backup files yet, and I've been using it since February.

DroidGnome

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I hadn't heard of Sprite before. I checked them out, they have a very limited selection of 3rd Party apps that they support.

I wonder, is there something in Android which makes collecting an Apps's settings difficult? I can't see why all the backup software doesn't provide this by default unless it's denied to them somewhere.

I think I need to go read up on the Root information and see if I can find my answer there.

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
I just tried My Backup last night as I did a factory reset. While it did an OK job it was still not perfect. It did not quite get all of my system settings, but I only have to adjust a few. But, I had to re-enter my Exchange account and pretty much load Touchdown from scratch. And for apps, you have to "install" each one again via a screen in My Backups. Tedious if you have a lot, but quicker than the Marketplace. I might try Sprite too - I had them on my WM devices.

I just want something to mirror my existing setup.