I just finished reading through another thread, thanks to the suggestions before I posted, but it was unable to answer some of my questions. I have a lot.

I've been using Google Voice since roughly Octoberish 2009 with a number I chose. It has worked great. Lately I have been considering porting my Sprint # to GV for the convenience of responding to my texts via the website as I have with my other number, but I just do not understand how that process works. I know after x amount of time my current number will be lost unless I pay a fee to keep both, but that is about it.

• If I port my Sprint number, do I still "keep" that number on my Sprint account? Or is it essentially giving it to Google to forward my messages to a new Sprint number assigned to me? Or is it just the one number assigned to both Google and Sprint?

Now comes the confusion with having two numbers on my GV account.

• If I understood right, when I port my Sprint number, that will become my default number for Google Voice. My outbound calls and texts will be directed through that. Would I still be able to set it up to use my alternate number for specific people?

I appreciate any help that can be given.
    03-16-2012 02:31 PM