Before I ask this, let me say that I'm aware of some cool RSS readers in the Android Market, and use NewsRob (for example) to sync with my Google Reader stuff.

But I still have a question about the stock news widget that comes with Sense (I'm on an EVO, I guess it's on the Incredible and others too), even if there may be better options out there!

I actually like this widget. It looks neat and functions well... I like having the latest BBC news feed full-screen for example as a widget, but I'm having trouble adding feeds manually and wondered if anyone else noticed this too.

For example, within the actual sources itself is TechCrunch. But if I add the feed it just shows up as empty with 0 articles. So, I thought it was perhaps a wrong RSS URL and tried the one I found at their site http://feeds.feedburner.com/TechCrunch which is actually the one in the HTC widget itself.

Others also show up as 'invalid' when I try and enter them. Some work great: you can search for them, like Phandroid or Android Central, but others, even if you have the correct RSS feed just don't want to take and I wondered if it's just me or a clunky widget problem.

Like FailBlog: http://feeds.feedburner.com/failblog. Try entering that manually and it says it's invalid, yet Android http://feeds2.feedburner.com/androidcentral works just fine.

Any thoughts appreciated!
    06-07-2010 05:18 PM
    I'm having the same problem. I got so excited when I discovered you could customize this widget/app that I began to download feeds for Espn, Yahoo, Endgagdet, and some other sites. Then when I tried to use them the app would just sort of freeze up and say it's uploading. I thought it might just be that you can't use feeds that don't revert to the sites authentic font type after you input it, but that didn't work either. It's a shame because it'd be really cool to have all that at my disposal. Oh well, here's hoping it's just a bug that'll be fixed in the next update.
    06-08-2010 07:29 PM
    Alright, I think I figured it out. If you're like me you probably have the automatic task manager running. Well go into that app and unselect the HTC news widget. I think it's just call news but I could be wrong. Anyway, I unchecked like 2 boxes relating to the widget and, lo and behold, the news widget is working again.
    06-08-2010 07:46 PM
    This is the reason most people agree that task managers do more harm than good.
    06-08-2010 07:56 PM
    To my knowledge, the news widget is not available for the Incredible.
    06-08-2010 09:55 PM
    I don't have a task manager running.

I'm sorry to hear Lifendz was having trouble with the HTC news widget and app updating, but I think my issues is with the app not accepting RSS formatted URLs properly, not anything to do with its update regularity.
    06-10-2010 04:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD