I hoping to find an app (or a relatively simple procedure) that will help me get to know the town I am moving to. As I drive around town I sometimes see a business that I would like to go back to later -- grocery store, hardware store, bar, whatever.

Ideally, I'd have a GPS-based location-aware app that could also use the camera to identify the business. Then, I'd be able to add that listing/entry to my Google Maps - as a favorite would be okay, but to add it to a Custom Map would be perfect. The camera part of the equation is the extra bonus, super cool wishlist piece. Imagine GPS knows your street address, the camera recognized the business name on the sign, BAM! No thumb typing!

I know Google Maps (and other apps) has some awareness of what businesses are located near one's present location, but the listings are always incomplete. Where and Yelp and so on have the same problem - but they add the problem that they only list certain categories of businesses (from what I can tell) -- grocery stores and hardware stores not being among them.

If I do a search in Google Maps I can usually find the business. Then I can "star" it. But, I like to use Custom Maps. I have "Local Businesses" that I use. This keeps my base map view from being so cluttered. As it is now, I end up going into Google Maps on a full-sized PC and re-organizing things out of the default view and into my custom map manually.

What I am trying to avoid is having to try to use my PHONE to do a search in maps and then go home and move things around in Google Maps manually.

I have a Samsung Droid Charge on Verizon (Android 2.3 with GPS and camera, etc.)
    04-03-2012 01:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD