View Poll Results: Do you use Google Voice with your Droid?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

93 80.17%
  • No.

11 9.48%
  • What's Google Voice?

4 3.45%
  • Still waiting on an invite!

8 6.90%
07-27-2010 08:15 AM
47 12
tools
    I use it for voicemail, but I don't see the advantage of it vs the native EVO voicemail other than the fact that you can access it from a browser. However, for phone calls it is subpar. Maybe OK for friends and family, but it is not business ready. There is too much lag in the calls - sometimes it's good, but many times it is not. At least that is my experience.
    06-11-2010 08:26 AM
    I've tried, but I get MMS messages. Yes, I can just tell them to email it to me, but a lot of times, it isn't messages that I even know are being sent.

Some are surprise pics or even those chain text messages with gifs which actually come in as an mms.

For anything I'm buying/selling, I use it though.
    MMS functionality is the only thing holding me back.
    06-11-2010 09:03 AM
    Right now I use it only for voicemail but would like to transition it into my new cell number
    06-11-2010 09:48 AM
    I have an extra invite if anyone wants, PM me. *EDIT: None left*

And yes, GV is awesome, especially the tight integration in Android. Coming from WebOS (and its hacked-together support) this is incredible!
    06-11-2010 12:32 PM
    I sometimes use my GV#, depends on the situation.
    06-11-2010 02:26 PM
    I'm waiting for an invitation, still.

06-11-2010 02:39 PM
    I'm self-employed and use GV for my "business" line. Voicemail recording professionally announces my business; it only rings my phone between 8a and 5p M-F. I have it set so that any time I make an outgoing call it asks me whether or not I want to use GV - stops people from saving my personal number.
    06-11-2010 03:57 PM
    I'm self-employed and use GV for my "business" line. Voicemail recording professionally announces my business; it only rings my phone between 8a and 5p M-F. I have it set so that any time I make an outgoing call it asks me whether or not I want to use GV - stops people from saving my personal number.
    That sounds pretty smart. May have to investigate this futher.
    06-11-2010 05:01 PM
    Anyone have any google voice invites to spare?
    06-11-2010 09:02 PM
    nope
    06-12-2010 01:38 AM
    If anyone has an invitation to Voice, I would be most grateful. My email is bernat@muhlenberg.edu

Thank you!
    06-16-2010 08:17 AM
    I use it, but not that often - I really don't have much of a personal use for it yet, but that may change in the future.
    06-16-2010 08:55 AM
    If anyone has an invitation to Voice, I would be most grateful. My email is bernat@muhlenberg.edu

Thank you!
    I thought Google had something going on where if you have a school email address you would get an instant invite. Did that end?
    06-16-2010 08:58 AM
    I have the Sprint Relay plan ($29.99/month, data only, 20cents a minute for calls). When I make an outgoing call with google voice, it's still an outgoing call for Sprint billing purposes, right? Or is it free?
    06-16-2010 11:53 AM

Thank you!
    Invite sent. Also, I have a couple more invites if anybody needs one.
    06-16-2010 11:54 AM
    For those using it, is it using voice minutes or is it a voip call using 3g?
    06-16-2010 03:17 PM
    For those using it, is it using voice minutes or is it a voip call using 3g?
    Uses the phone line/minutes. It is not a VoIP/data app.
    06-16-2010 03:31 PM
    I just got my invitation to GV last week. It is a pretty amazing service. At first, I couldn't decide whether I wanted to just go with the VM version or the new-phone-number version. I decided to go with the full GV phone number version, since I realized that people can still call my direct lines without any adverse affects. Since I've signed up, not a single person has left me a voicemail. :P The only one's I've gotten to play with thus far were the test ones that I sent to myself.

I haven't tried making an outgoing call from my Droid using the GV path yet, so don't know about the impact on voice lag.

Even though I haven't put my new Google Voice number to practical use yet, the time will come, eventually, when it will make sense to do so. In the meantime, I want to get an account for my wife, too. That way, we'll both be ready to go.

-SR-
    06-16-2010 10:29 PM
    Google Voice is great, just wish there was a way to have a separate ringtone along w/ the caller id feature.
    06-17-2010 01:38 AM
    I just got my invitation to GV last week. It is a pretty amazing service. At first, I couldn't decide whether I wanted to just go with the VM version or the new-phone-number version. I decided to go with the full GV phone number version, since I realized that people can still call my direct lines without any adverse affects. Since I've signed up, not a single person has left me a voicemail. :P The only one's I've gotten to play with thus far were the test ones that I sent to myself.

I haven't tried making an outgoing call from my Droid using the GV path yet, so don't know about the impact on voice lag.

Even though I haven't put my new Google Voice number to practical use yet, the time will come, eventually, when it will make sense to do so. In the meantime, I want to get an account for my wife, too. That way, we'll both be ready to go.

-SR-
    youll probably get some invites soon so you can invite your wife. I LOVE my GV # i give it to EVERYONE. then once i get your number i make it go directly to VM or to whatever phones i want you to reach me at.
    06-17-2010 01:49 AM
    I love it too and just use it right now for VM and giving out numbers to unknown sources. I would like to use it outgoing more but it seems when I try the party I am calling (usually someone I know) doesn't recognize the number and I get their VM...lol I do use it calling random people though. Works great.
    06-17-2010 05:20 AM
    Just wanted to say thanks for the great advice in this thread. I came from an iPhone 3G and didn't even consider that Android wouldn't have standard visual voicemail. But 15min setting up Google Voice gave me much more than what I had on the iPhone. Love it!
    07-27-2010 08:15 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD