Android Question

jshashwat93

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
OK i was going to buy an Android device about 2 years back but then someone gifted me an iphone 4 and i used it for almost 2 years even though i am not a blind iphone fan and actually look for the better device. So my question is the last I remember (about 2 years back) people used to say that most android apps are free of cost and if not free you always get an alternative app with the same features which is free. Is that still true? And the other thing is about the famous apps such as Angry Birds Space and other big apps.. Are they free too? And is there something like 'jeailbreak' in android? Sorry about these stupid questions but im from India and no one that i know uses an android device so i dunno anything...

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you can get a free version of almost any app you want. Usually the free version is ad supported. Angry Birds for example has free and paid versions...only difference is the free ones have ads. :)

byoung1989

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
OK i was going to buy an Android device about 2 years back but then someone gifted me an iphone 4 and i used it for almost 2 years even though i am not a blind iphone fan and actually look for the better device. So my question is the last I remember (about 2 years back) people used to say that most android apps are free of cost and if not free you always get an alternative app with the same features which is free. Is that still true? And the other thing is about the famous apps such as Angry Birds Space and other big apps.. Are they free too? And is there something like 'jeailbreak' in android? Sorry about these stupid questions but im from India and no one that i know uses an android device so i dunno anything...

There are a TON of free Apps on the android market. You could visit play.google.com to and see the number of free/paid apps available, as well as movies, music, and books. Rooting your device is the equivalent of jailbreaking.

jshashwat93

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
And if i somehow manage getting .apk apps do i need to root my device to install them like how i need to jailbreak my iphone to install my .ipa apps?

Crimson

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
And if i somehow manage getting .apk apps do i need to root my device to install them like how i need to jailbreak my iphone to install my .ipa apps?

No root required for that. Just download the APK and click on it in your download manager or file manager if you copied it directly to your device.

jshashwat93

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
No root required for that. Just download the APK and click on it in your download manager or file manager if you copied it directly to your device.

Oh thanks a ton. I heard that first u needed to root your device to install your app on ur SD card but now u can do it directly with the new versions of Android. Is that true? And if true then, u dont need to root your device for this feature, to install .apk apps which you have.. So leaving these two features what is rooting really used for?

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Oh thanks a ton. I heard that first u needed to root your device to install your app on ur SD card but now u can do it directly with the new versions of Android. Is that true? And if true then, u dont need to root your device for this feature, to install .apk apps which you have.. So leaving these two features what is rooting really used for?

Rooting covers WAY to much stuff to summarize in this post. I'd recommend doing some internet searches, but here are some highlights.

On of the biggest thing you can do with root is install custom operating systems (i.e. ROMS), so if your device isn't going to be officially updated to the latest version you can do it yourself. There are also ROMS that completely change the interface of your device, and give you lots of new features.

Also a lot of people root their phone to enable things like free wireless tethering (i.e. mobile hotspot) which allows you to connect your PC to the internet though your cell signal (which is a feature of Android but is usually disabled by the carriers).

Also rooting lets you uninstall "bloatware" which is the apps that your carrier puts on your phone that can't normally be uninstalled.

Also a lot of people root their phone to install ad blocking apps, so when you're online you won't see any banner ads, popup etc.

There are lots of other apps that are root only. For example, screen capture/record, battery calibration, firewalls ... I'm sure there are a lot more.

Rooting can be very complex and is device specific, so make sure you do your research.