11-15-2010 09:42 AM
27 12
tools
    Soulstarter I'm with you. I don't like the google maps and there are definite features on Telenav that's better. I can't believe there's no way to get it. I am disappointed :-(
    11-14-2010 08:58 PM
    Why would you want to pay for a different service that is a major part of your current phone and its free? You have a money tree out back or something!
    Lack of features in Google Maps Nav. It's not a one-size-fits-all world. It's not inconceivable that Google Maps Nav doesn't fit a particular person's needs/wants despite how popular it is. For some, free isn't enough to offset something (or some things) that is missing.

I mean, let's take your logic and apply it to other but similar situations: Why buy MS Word when you have Notepad and Wordpad included in Windows? Why buy an more expensive car when there are cheaper econoboxes out there? Why go out for steak when McDonald's is cheaper?

For some, the cheaper/free options work. For others, it doesn't cut it. It's really that simple. Besides, it's really limiting to only use free/stock apps on your device. There are a lot of very good pay (as well as free) apps out there.

its not as good as telenav , the voice is lame and its ugly.
    If you don't like the voice in Google Maps Nav then try another TTS engine such as Loquendo or SVOX. The TTS engine will be an issue for any app that uses it, not just Google Maps Nav. When testing TTS engines, be sure to actually test with the app. For example, the speech sample for Loquendo was better IMO than SVOX. However, when I used it with Google Maps Nav, Loquendo's voice prompts were clipped. As a result I went with SVOX instead. I have no idea if Loquendo has changed anything since my testing.

Why would Telenav waste their time and resources to make a version for Android that will just compete directly with the free version from Google?

Good luck on ever seeing it.
    Same reason any competitor releases a pay nav app for Android (or any pay app that has free alternatives). Google hasn't been the only option for a long time. Again, free doesn't always offset missing features. It might for you or the missing features might not matter to you but, again, your needs/wants aren't the same as everyone else's. I really don't get why this concept seems so difficult for so many forum users to grasp as it's a constantly repeated theme on every discussion forum site I hit, regardless of topic.

Let's also apply this line of thinking to other situations:

Why would anyone buy Microsoft's or Apple's OS's when there are free OS's?
    Why would anyone pay for email service since Google offers gmail for free?

did the OP really think before he made this post? i mean seriously why would u pay for something that comes for free on your phone? just because of a voice? u must be either WAYYYY too rich or a lame *** cry baby
    Did you think before you made your post? Why would you assume that Google Maps Nav is suitable for everyone? It doesn't locally store maps which is an issue for anyone that does any international travel and wants to avoid getting charged exorbitant international data roaming fees. It's also a must for those who are frequently in areas with no data coverage. That's just 2 reasons and there are certainly more out there.

Again, one size does not fit all. I really like Google Maps Nav and it's what I use for nav but that doesn't mean that it's the best choice for every single person out there.

Stop paying for Telenav!! Google Maps Nav is WAY better and is free!
    Better is always highly subjective, regardless of topic or regardless of how many forum users apparently don't realize it. At least point out specifically why one option is better than the other for meaningful discussion. Blanket "X is better than Y" statements don't add any value to the discussion and reek of fanboyism. Every option has its pros and cons.
    11-15-2010 09:42 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD