Any music player that does TiVo-style skip forward/backward?

ChrisC

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
I have a Sprint HTC Hero and have been using the built-in mp3 player. It works well enough, but I would like to have the ability to skip forwards and backwards by an increment of time, within a music file, similar to how Tivo commercial skip works. I would like buttons that:

A) skip forward 30 seconds (or so)
B) skip backwards 7-8 second (or so)

The usage scenario is that I'll be listening to something, and A) I want to skip ahead of it, using multiple skips if I want to skip a few minutes, or B) I want to repeat what I just heard.

I typically am listening to interviews or recorded radio (with DJ announcenments), very long mp3 files of 30 minutes or longer, and will want to skip ahead of a song or will want to rewind just a bit to hear again what was just said.

The slider approach used in most mp3 players is no good because my mp3 files are usually 30-60 minutes long, and it's pretty much impossible to touch and slide that to move ahead just 30 seconds, much less move back just a few seconds. And certainly it can't be done when I'm on the move.

I did check Appbrain and the Market itself for "mp3" and "music", and just get a billion spammy mp3 "search" apps, mp3 cutters, ringtone converters, etc. By searching for "music players" I did come across "Astro Player" which has fast playback capability, which is nice but not quite what I'm looking for.

Has anyone seen a player that can skip forwards and backwards within a file like this?

ChrisC

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks superflush. I looked at Google Listen just now, and in their discussion forums several people (just in the last 24 hours) are asking for this skip forward/backwards capability, so it seems like it doesn't have it. What did you mean exactly?

All of my listening is via mp3 files that I download manually, with no podcast (RSS) wrapper file to automate it, so that's another strike.

In another thread someone suggested bTunes and Cubed, but neither appear to have this feature. Somewhere I picked up a tip on Astro Player (beta) but that doesn't do it either and actually has some other problems that I'll have to dig into if I'm going to stay with it.

Also, for the record, apparently the slider function is called "scrubbing".

Can anybody think of anything else? I'm about to give up and just live with the degraded capability for now. How about player programs that do 1.5/2.x/faster playback?

Last edited:

superflush

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
So if you go here: Listen Home and view the sixth screenshot, you can see the controls. The bottom buttons are the ones that skip back and skip forward.
I've been using Google Listen for a while, but after playing with the feature to respond here, I've realized that the skip back is 5 seconds and the skip forward is 30 seconds.

WAM

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
i noticed doubletwist had this feature if you hold the skip buttons rather than click them it will fast-forward or rewind i think in 3 second intervals at a time, not perfect, but it's the best i got. hope i helped!

qu1nn

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site

Can anybody think of anything else? I'm about to give up and just live with the degraded capability for now. How about player programs that do 1.5/2.x/faster playback?

I have been searching for this too!.
Allegedly Coreplayer will come to android, but who knows how long that will take, and hopefully if it is like the windoze mobile version.... it will keep that functionality

qu1nn

ChrisC

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Google Listen for a while, but after playing with the feature to respond here, I've realized that the skip back is 5 seconds and the skip forward is 30 seconds.

That's perfect! I'll check it out to see how it handles plain manual file playback, not driven by RSS.

Edit: searching their discussion forum, it doesn't appear to do that, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong in that too.

Last edited:

hikinthru

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
"Listen" has forward and backward buttons but they don't work 90% of the time. It resets to the beginning of the podcast. And despite them publishing updates to the app periodically, this problem seems either beyond their intelligence to fix, or they simply don't give a f#%^.

I'm past irritated. The primary use I have for my Droid is listening to lectures on podcasts. This is the absolute worst product I've seen from Google, and they really don't appear to care.

New Daddy

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Astroplayer Beta fit the bill!

I'm bumping up this thread for posterity's sake.

Yes, Astroplayer seems to be the rare, if not the only, MP3 player that has forward/backward skip feature. But those functions are not assigned to any buttons on the screen. You have to go into the setting and assign make changes. (in my case, I assigned forward/backward skip to cover art previous/next buttons). A little cumbersome, but at least Astroplayer lets you have a way of doing it.

ChrisC

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm the initiator of this thread. I finally upgraded off of my old HTC Hero last week, to a Droid Razr M, and so now I'm revisiting my old desires like this to see if they are solved.

Regarding Astroplayer (mentioned immediately above), I don't know if I ever tried it.

So, this week I dug into this again, and read reports (on some other forum) of two players that reportedly did what I wanted: Tivo-style skip ahead and skip back.

MortPlayer: reportedly does do FF/RW customizable jumps, but I couldn't find any preference for the amount of time. If you press and hold on a FF/RW button, it jumps in 10 second increments. It's tricky to just jump 10 seconds, as you have to watch the screen to see when it has kicked in. Program has lock screen integration which is nice. The "MortPlayer AudioBooks" program might do a better job at the skipping; I haven't evaluated it.

tinyPlayer: DOES do FF/RW customizable jumps! It works! Hooray! God, after 3 years it's so nice to have that capability back. Alas, no lock screen integration. But this is the player that I'm using right now, and so far it's Good Enough.

Last edited:

ChrisC

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Dan! I'll look forward to testing that when it is officially released and available in the Google Market. (I don't mess with beta software or APK downloads)

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Dan! I'll look forward to testing that when it is officially released and available in the Google Market. (I don't mess with beta software or APK downloads)

Well thanks for posting this thread. I used to have this feature in the webOS version of the app and it reminded me to add it back into the Android version. The classic use for this type of feature is when listening to a long-format audio file such as a podcast or recorded lecture (to quickly skip through undesired sections); however I always found it useful when trying to listen to a certain part of a song again.

mangmang

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the thread, I tried Mortaplayer but it doesnt have regular forward and backwards option, but Tiny player is pretty good for skipping forward and backward 10 seconds on Android

ChrisC

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Update on MortPlayer: despite the fact that I wasn't using it, occasionally it would pop up as an active app, and stick an icon in my notifier bar. The first couple times, I killed it from the app list and the notifier icon went away. Today I couldn't get the notifier icon to go away, so I uninstalled the app.

I'm still using TinyPlayer. Minor complaints so far:
- I wish there was a way to keep the playback controls up in the app, not dropped down via a slider; actually sometimes they stay up, and sometimes they slide down, and I haven't figured out why or when
- and in fact I wish there was a screen where it just gave me huge playback control buttons
- I really wish there was lock screen integration

I will do another round of hunting and testing someday soon.

ChrisC

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE:

I've been using TinyPlayer successfully since December. It does the FF/RW jumps exactly as I want. My only annoyance is that the play controls are on a slider and keep sliding away, and I wish they were on a page that I could just leave it on.

Sadly, the latest update to the app (why oh why did I upgrade the app?!) seems to have broken it a bit. It randomly forgets what file and what point in the file I had it paused at. Since I'm typically listening to longform material, the app pretty much lives in the paused mode and I need it to remember where it was. I think it only forgets if I don't listen to anything for over a day, or two.

Anyway, just posting this to say that if this behavior continues, then I'll contact the developer, and if that doesn't resolve it, I'll be back in the market for a player ...

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE:

I've been using TinyPlayer successfully since December. It does the FF/RW jumps exactly as I want. My only annoyance is that the play controls are on a slider and keep sliding away, and I wish they were on a page that I could just leave it on.

Sadly, the latest update to the app (why oh why did I upgrade the app?!) seems to have broken it a bit. It randomly forgets what file and what point in the file I had it paused at. Since I'm typically listening to longform material, the app pretty much lives in the paused mode and I need it to remember where it was. I think it only forgets if I don't listen to anything for over a day, or two.

Anyway, just posting this to say that if this behavior continues, then I'll contact the developer, and if that doesn't resolve it, I'll be back in the market for a player ...

Did you ever try Music Player (Remix)? It has this tivo-style feature plus a bunch of other things. Here's the link to the 14-day, fully-functional trial version in the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hedami.mprtrial

ChrisC

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Did you ever try Music Player (Remix)? It has this tivo-style feature plus a bunch of other things.

OK, Dan, you're on. I just downloaded the trial and will try it for a week. I like those skip buttons! (once I found them)

The app was disorienting at first, until I figured out A) the hidden overlay buttons concept and B) the sliding menus from left right and bottom.

You should not have shuffle enabled by default. Skipping tracks was infuriating for a minute there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy