Android Security (Remote find and wipe)

Rlin5741

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I have seen a lot of recommendations on anti-theft app, but none detail a couple of key features, so I figured I would turn to the community to see if any other people had experience or know the answers.

In my mind, here are a couple key features that the marketing materials and reviews seem to miss:
- Both SMS and Packet Data control: sometimes a phone may not have data access or weak data, but at same time, a theif may put in a new SIM and then SMS won't work, so both control methods are important
- Remote wipe that does a factory wipe and SD Card wipe. Important to get rid of all the data, not just subsets, otherwise people can still get your meal, launch Facebook and post as you, etc
- Custom lock screen with message, to allow you to display a "if found" message

Anyone know for sure which app would cover all three?

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
There are several apps that you can use to remotely wipe the phone and SD card. I use Seekdroid but am likely switching to Cerberus as soon as I quit procrastinating.

These also will let you send a message to the phone, but if you want to display a permanent message on the lock screen, I'd suggest Widgetlocker, which lets you customize the entire lock screen. Use something like Minimal Text to display any text you want there.

Rlin5741

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
There are several apps that you can use to remotely wipe the phone and SD card. I use Seekdroid but am likely switching to Cerberus as soon as I quit procrastinating.

These also will let you send a message to the phone, but if you want to display a permanent message on the lock screen, I'd suggest Widgetlocker, which lets you customize the entire lock screen. Use something like Minimal Text to display any text you want there.

Thanks. Do you know if the two programs you cite do a full factory wipe? When I talked to tech support, I know Norton and Mcafee do only partial wipe of emails, SMS, call history, contacts, but do not wipe out account data or apps, so someone who finds your phone can still access your email and any apps you left logged in (I.e. Facebook, banking, etc). From my research, I believe that apps that ask to be set as device administrators are the only ones that can even be able to perform a factory wipe, but I am not sure, and that still does not ensure that the developer added that capability.

androidonn

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
VirusSeeker Mobile Security handles SIM change by sending the an SMS to your registered other number. It also allows custom lock which puts up an "If found" message. It doesn't do remote wipes though.

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I think an added requirement should be auto-gps enable in the event that thief turns off gps at Location services. If this features is not available the thief could disable tracking. Cerberus does this if the phone is rooted. As far as I know it also does a complete wipe of apps and sdcard, but I have not built up the courage to test it yet :) Cerberus is also supposed to survive a complete wipe.
Pete

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
For the message on your lock screen, can you not open Settings, scroll down to Personal, Security & Lock Screen, Owner Information. Then type your message, for example I have "If found please call (###) ###-####" Not sure if this is just specific to my SGS3, or if this is common across all Android phones. I just installed Where's My Droid, and you can either locate through SMS or through their website. Remote wipe/lock is available with the $3.88 paid version. It will notify you if the SIM card gets changed...I'm guessing through email.

duddy23b

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Avast is for rooted and non rooted phones and is free, also a loud siren to locate if just lost it and remote wipes too from cell or landline phone.

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Avast is for rooted and non rooted phones and is free, also a loud siren to locate if just lost it and remote wipes too from cell or landline phone.
I looked at Avast, but disqualified it due to lack of features. It doesn't offer pictures, audio, or video as Cerberus does. For my purposes taking a picture of the thief was a 'must have' feature. The other clever thing about Cerberus is that it takes the picture when the thief is likely holding the phone such as when entering the wrong unlock code or dismissing a message sent.
Pete

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781