06-12-2010 12:32 PM
    I have been running k-9 for a month now and really like it. I have never removed my accounts from gMail or HTC Mail clients. Is there any reason not to if I am sticking to K-9?
    06-12-2010 01:55 PM
    You can remove them or leave them alone.

As long as the other apps are not polling/pushing/syncing they won't hurt anything.

I can't think of a benefit of keeping them "loaded", though.
    Groucho likes this.
    06-12-2010 03:24 PM
    Interesting enough I just discovered that unless I am missing something there is no way to delete a gMail account from the Android gMail client. No problem deleting from HTC Mail. I guess gMail doesn't want their subscriber base to suffer any shrinkage and effect ad revenue.
    06-12-2010 05:48 PM
    HTC mail app:

from within the account you want to delete

menu>more>settings>delete account

Gmail app:

from the phone's settings

accounts>click on account>remove account

IMPORTANT: do not remove from the phone the account that you use for the phone's contacts and calendar. Just uncheck mail under sync options. (deleting it from the HTC app is fine).
    06-12-2010 06:49 PM
    I have been running k-9 for a month now and really like it. I have never removed my accounts from gMail or HTC Mail clients. Is there any reason not to if I am sticking to K-9?
    If sticking with K9, you should de-configure stock email app. It gets launched if it is configured, and probably doubles your data transfer, depending on what kind of mail servers you use.

Same for if you are using k9 for Gmail imap.
    06-12-2010 08:26 PM
    Even supports Track Ball blinking color for those phones with this capability, however it won't work till Foryo or some other ROM.

BE ADVISED: If you had a lot of messages in K-9 prior releases, it will take a LONG time for 2.8 to fire up the first time (black screen). If presented a choice, choose WAIT....

I like this release. Even the Stared Mails sync with my company IMap server as stars are added or removed.
    06-12-2010 08:35 PM
    It took mine almost a min to startup on my N1 and that's only with 200 or so scattered between various folders.
    06-12-2010 10:56 PM
    Tried it and I was still not getting my yahoo mail as quickly as mail droid
    06-13-2010 10:46 AM
    STILL No Gmail support! No grouped conversations or archiving button.
    It is not like Gmail is new out.

I do love the integrated inbox, that is sweet!

I want this to be my Email program!!! ii

So frustrating that I cannot archive at least, I can deal without the groupings. Hell maybe I will just set up my gmail to archive instead of delete. Man I HATE that though, I want CONTROL of what gets deleted or archived.

Maybe the Gmail API that diffacult to work with I wonder??

I want the combination of the HTC email program with grouped conversations and the Gmal app with archiving, is that so wrong??? ii

I will stick to the standard Gmail app. I am still unsure how to get K-9 to use push email. I want it as it comes in like the gmail app. I do not want to have to go get it via pull every x amount of min.
    06-13-2010 12:49 PM
    I am still unsure how to get K-9 to use push email. I want it as it comes in like the gmail app. I do not want to have to go get it via pull every x amount of min.
    If you have IMAP enabled on your gmail accounts (which it sounds like you do) and used the default settings when adding the accounts, k-9 will push gmail automatically.
    06-13-2010 02:26 PM

So frustrating that I cannot archive at least. Man I HATE that though, I want CONTROL of what gets deleted or archived.

Create an archive folder in your gmail account. Then you can move messages into (and out of it) as you please. Yes, it is in the cloud and not on the phone, but it will function exactly the same way as long as you have service.
    06-13-2010 02:28 PM
    If you have IMAP enabled on your gmail accounts (which it sounds like you do) and used the default settings when adding the accounts, k-9 will push gmail automatically.
    I set it up using the standard Gmail settings and no push. The only way I ever see a push Email is through the Gmail app.
    06-13-2010 03:51 PM
    Create an archive folder in your gmail account. Then you can move messages into (and out of it) as you please. Yes, it is in the cloud and not on the phone, but it will function exactly the same way as long as you have service.
    That won't work for me. Thanks though.

It is not the idea of just moving stuff into a folder.
    I have tons of filters created that label stuff as it comes into my gmail. Like any responses from posts here, they all get labels. Works great for all the email newsletters etc.. I get.

I like to simply archive them so I keep them and they stay in there label but get removed from my Inbox.

Works really well for me to read stuff later when I want but not get rid of. I also like to keep certain stuff for reference later.

Keeps everything nice and organized.
    06-13-2010 03:56 PM
    I set it up using the standard Gmail settings and no push. The only way I ever see a push Email is through the Gmail app.
    did you turn off sync for the gmail account(s) thru phone settings>accounts>sync gmail?

If not, it may be interfering.

Did you check the server settings to make sure they are set to the IMAP servers?
    06-13-2010 05:27 PM
    That won't work for me. Thanks though.
    If it helps, this is what I do to achieve something similar (maybe it will spark an idea?!)

I have my Inc and all my computers and handhelds (minus one) set to retrieve my email with IMAP. I then use my main laptop to pull email into a proper email client thru POP. This allows me to have local storage of all my email.

I apply the filters/labels I use on the POP box (to keep the actual stored messages organized.) I have found that for mobile and/or secondary access the IMAP/cloud storage is sufficient, but I do like having nicely labeled archives of all my mail.

During the times that I am away from my main box, I very rarely need to "find" an email for than a few weeks old so it is not a big hurdle to pull it out of the "unsorted" cloud. I use seperate accounts for work, home, bills, racing etc so that is usually enough sorting to get by on my handheld (be it my bb or Inc or whatever).
    06-13-2010 05:36 PM
    The new update is filtering. My messages to unread only in IMAP account. I looked through settings and cannot find how to fix. It did this automatically with the update. If I go to the combined inbox, then it shows the read messages. Then go back to account inbox and it shows all. But later it will revert to unread only.

Anyone having trouble with it marking messages as read or deleted on IMAP server?
    06-13-2010 08:21 PM
    Tried K-9 for the first time this evening, very impressed. Got most things to work as I would want them.
    06-13-2010 11:50 PM
    I like it but can't get it our Exchange server to work. First of all I think our Exchange server is an active sync server? On my WM device I type i our domain name, user name and password, and server address.
    06-14-2010 09:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD