Kik vs Whatsapp

skippy126

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm trying to decide between Kik and Whatsapp. Does anyone who uses (or has used) either/both of these have any insight or recommendations? None of my friends currently use either but they are planning on it....we're just trying to decide which route to go. I like Kik for its interface and read message indicator, but I like many of the expansive features of Whatsapp. Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited:

AFR_NY

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I think this answer would depend on who you plan to use this app with. Kik is free for both Android and iOS, however WhatsApp requires iOS users to pay for the app (last time I checked, this could have changed).

Kik works like AIM, where you have a user name and you make friend requests. WhatsApp works with your phone number, and it automatically adds anyone in your phones contact list with WhatsApp to the contact list. There is no need to make a friend request. WhatsApp also works if you have a contact that has an international number (as long as you put the country code). I use WhatsApp to easily keep in touch with family overseas.

Kik looks a little nicer, but WhatApp does what it needs to do. I don?t know how important aesthetics are to you, but that of course is subjective.

I prefer WhatsApp for its ease of use to connect to people in my contacts who already have the app. I hope this helps with your choice. If I didn?t answer something just let me know.

Reactions: skippy126

skippy126

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I think this answer would depend on who you plan to use this app with. Kik is free for both Android and iOS, however WhatsApp requires iOS users to pay for the app (last time I checked, this could have changed).

Kik works like AIM, where you have a user name and you make friend requests. WhatsApp works with your phone number, and it automatically adds anyone in your phones contact list with WhatsApp to the contact list. There is no need to make a friend request. WhatsApp also works if you have a contact that has an international number (as long as you put the country code). I use WhatsApp to easily keep in touch with family overseas.

Kik looks a little nicer, but WhatApp does what it needs to do. I don?t know how important aesthetics are to you, but that of course is subjective.

I prefer WhatsApp for its ease of use to connect to people in my contacts who already have the app. I hope this helps with your choice. If I didn?t answer something just let me know.

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated!