New user from Windows Mobile and I have a question.

steveymacjr

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
The EVO 4G is my first Android phone and I have a question about the feature that I used all the time in Windows Mobile, but can't find it in Android..
I'd like to know how do you set up different power/dispay settings that are different when the phone is plugged in and on battery power...
My Previous phone was an HTC HD2(t-mobile) and I loved that I could have a different screen off setting when it was plugged in, than when it was on battery power... Also, I could set the screen brightness to be different as well...
My settings on my HD2 were as follows:
  • SCreen Dim: Battery Power: 30 Seconds... USB/AC Power: Never off
  • Device standby: Battery Power 1 Minute .... USB/AC Power: Never Standby
  • Brightness: Battery 50% .... USB/AC Power 100%

Is there a third party app, or a hidden setting in the OS that allows me to do this?
THanks

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Being a former WM user myself, I understand what it is you're asking. This feature is not native to the OS, but there is an app called Power Manager that will allow you to control this behavior.

bitshop.com

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
There are a LOT of apps for screen brightness - Personally I didn't care for this setting in WM because when my phone was low and I tried to charge it a short time in the car it would be on full brightness (my default when at the office) - Granted not a big deal at all, but it's nice to just be auto brightness always IMHO. There are some widget apps you can use to just touch the widget to change the brightness, I use that on my other Android (MyTouch3g).

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I am using an app called "Setting Profiles" which I like and allows you to adjust pretty much everything, then just select which profile to use. Basically I just set up 4 profiles:

1. Normal: Screen timeout at 1 minute, lower brightness, etc.
  2. Meeting: All sounds muted, vibrate on for calls and notifications.
  3. Car: Full brightness, screen never times out, calls automatically use the speakerphone (I am assuming that if I am in the car, I have it plugged into the charger)
  4. Night: Turns on automatically between 11:30PM and 6:30AM and mutes everything except incoming calls.

You can also do such things such as locations, so if I am home, it automatically turns on the wi-fi, if I am in the office, it turns on 4G (since I have it there, but not at home). I have a different wallpaper for every profile so it's easy to see which profile I have it set for, then a widget on the home screen allows me to switch them easily.

It works pretty well for me. There's a free version but only allows you to set up one profile. The paid version is a bit pricy at (I think) $3.95, but does what I want.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julieharrison