No Google Voice numbers for my area...advice on what to do?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Just received my Google Voice invite last night! :D

However, setting up my account this morning shows that there aren't any Google Voice numbers in my area, or state for that matter. I live in KY, and the only numbers in Kentucky are the northern KY / Cincinnati area. I don't really want a Cincinnati number because of long distance charges for folks that call me, obviously.

So, what should I do?

Can I sign up for a voicemail-only account and then later switch to a google voice number account when/if google ever releases new numbers for my area?

I'd rather not get a Cincinnati Google Number and then switch it later, because switching numbers costs $10, plus the fact that I'd be telling everyone to switch to my Cincinnati google number, then switch again to a different google number. Too many switches.

So, can someone verify that you can switch from a google voicemail account to a google voice number account?

Last edited:

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you can start with a voicemail only account and switch to a full Google Voice account. When I got my Google Voice invite, I set up a voicemail only account (didn't see the reason for a full number when the only phone I can call my own was my cell) and there is a link, clear as day in the settings page, that says "Get a Google number".