Swype BETA (6/16/2010) - Discuss Here

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Did you know there is an editing symbol layer? Just swype fromt he swype key to the sym button to bring it up. It has your arrows and other helpful editing buttons.

This isn't working for me. The swipe key is the one on the bottom left and the sym is the one next to it. Nothing happens when I swype the two, either direction.

Update;
OK, Just found out that it will only work in apps that support editing. Handcent must not.

Last edited:

drfundy

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if this was already covered but the latest beta that they opened to everyone is much smaller than the leak from a few days ago. Anyone had both and noticed a difference?

joek1971

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
How can I get in to the swype settings, when i tap the swype icon it says swype already installed, need to get in to shut off the sound.

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
How can I get in to the swype settings, when i tap the swype icon it says swype already installed, need to get in to shut off the sound.

Hit the swype/tips button on the lower left portion of the swype keyboard to bring up the pop up. Options is on the right.

jedisrus

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to try and use it for a week now that I got it installed. First impression for me if the shapewriter is much better at putting the word I was intending directly into the text field where Swype brings up a huge obtrusive word bank more often!

srh.pres.usx

DOXA?holic
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
This isn't working for me. The swipe key is the one on the bottom left and the sym is the one next to it. Nothing happens when I swype the two, either direction.

Update;
OK, Just found out that it will only work in apps that support editing. Handcent must not.

Works fine for me in Handcent... Was able to swipe to bring up the alternate keys and use the paste function from it.

njguy0414

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Alright - for my issue, I was using Skyfox. When I used the Android Internet browser I was able to get past the parse error. Now I just login, but the download fails. Here's the FAQ from their page:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://beta.swype.com/android/faq/

I Forgot my password!

Easy. Just reset it here using the link in the lower left corner.
I need to download Swype again but I've lost/deleted the email containing the download link. Can you send me another email?

We'd be glad to! Simply login using the email and password you registered for the beta program with, and click the "Resend me the Invite Email!" link in the lower right corner. You'll receive another copy of the email containing the download link in just a few minutes.
I just got a replacement Android device and now I can't install Swype. Help!

Send us an email at androidbeta@swype.com and we'll assist if we can. Please make sure to include the email address you used to register for the beta, your new phone's IMEI number (look inside the battery compartment) and, if you have it, your old phone's IMEI number.
I receive an error about Swype not being available for my phone's "Screen Size"

Most likely you're using an older version of the Swype Installer and need to upgrade. Easy! Follow the instructions here and uninstall the old Swype Installer then install Swype again.
I click the link in my activation email to download Swype, but I'm told that my phone is not an Android device, even though it is! What do I do?

This message means that you may have your brower in "desktop mode", or are using something other than the Android default browser (like Skyfire or Opera Mini). To turn the Mobile View setting back on in the Android browser - Open your browser settings (click menu > more > settings) and locate the option for "Mobile view." Click the checkmark next Mobile View if it is unchecked and retry the download link from your email. If the setting is enabled and you are still getting this error, please email androidbeta@swype.com.
I am trying to download and install Swype Beta using the Swype Installer and I'm getting the message: "Parse Error: There is a problem parsing the package."

The primary cause of a Parse Error is an interruption your network connection while downloading Swype. It is usually resolved if you run the Swype Installer again while connected to a WiFi network. Certain third party browsers, like Skyfire and SteelBrowser, also cause this issue. If you still receive a parse error when using WiFi and the default Android browser, please contact androidbeta@swype.com.
Advanced: I receive one of the following errors when I try to install Swype:

1. Registration of the License Failed
2. Swype is already installed. Please uninstall Swype and try again.
3. Swype is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality.
4. You do not have the necessary permissions to install Swype or
5. The ID of this device doesn't match your registration at beta.swype.com

These errors are often shown when the Swype installer is terminated prematurely by the Android OS system activity manager as it tries to reclaim resources. Regardless of the cause, these steps should resolve the issue:

1. Uninstall both Swype and SwypeInstaller from your device - detailed directions here
2. Reboot your device
3. Close as many widgets from your desktop as possible
4. Download the SwypeInstaller
5. Use a task-manager to kill all non-essential running apps
(If you are not familiar with the task-manager, you can skip, but you may see the error again)
6. Install and run the SwypeInstaller

If this doesn't work for you, please download the app SendLog from the Android Market, repeat the installation procedure, and when you receive the error, immediately open SendLog, select Time, and when prompted for an email address put androidbeta@swype.com. With this done, send us an email at the same address telling us about your problem and letting us know you've sent us your logs. We'll take a look at them and let you know when we have more information.
Can I get Swype in another language?

The current beta supports English, Spanish and Italian. Pre-loaded versions of Swype, available on of our partners' phones, support those and many more languages. We hope to include more languages in future beta updates. Keep an eye on Swype | Text Input for Screens for announcements about new versions!
I've been switching ROMs a lot, and I ran out of installs. Anything you can do?

Send an email to androidbeta@swype.com explaining the situation and include the email address you used to register for the beta. We'll be able to reset your download count. In the future, if you're going to be making any more ROM changes, please use Titanium backup (or similar) for the Swype files. This will ensure that the license files remain intact.
When/how can I put Swype on my iPhone/iPad?

Unfortunately, due to limitations imposed by Apple on the types of applications they will allow sold in their marketplace, we have no short-term plans to develop Swype for Apple products. If you love Swype and absolutely must have it on your Apple devices, let Apple know by sending them a friendly email! With a bit of luck and the support of our fans, hopefully we'll be able to offer Swype on the iPhone and iPad in the future!
I've heard that my device comes with Swype pre-installed in other countries. Shouldn't mine have it too? What gives?

In addition to partnering with device manufacturers, we are also partner with wireless carriers. Therefore, if your phone was purchased in a region that our partnerships do not cover, Swype won't be included. If you own an Android-powered device, you can register for our beta program at Swype | Text Input for Screens. Swype for Windows Mobile is, unfortunately, not currently in beta, so there is no legal trial available for download.
I have a Fender LE myTouch and Swype should be on my phone, but it's not. How do I get it?

Only one model of the myTouch ships with Swype, and that is the MT 3G w/ headphone jack (1.2). The original myTouch 3G does not, and the Fender LE does not (T-Mobile actually charges more for the 1.2, in part because of the Swype upgrade). We do have a beta program for Android users, which you are welcome to join. Please visit Swype | Text Input for Screens and register. Make sure you're signed up to receive notifications from Swype, and then watch your inbox. When we have accepted you into the beta program, you'll receive an email with download instructions.
How can I buy Swype? / When will Swype be on the Android market?

We have considered a direct-download sales model, but there are two challenges to that approach:

1. Customer Support. Providing Swype users with the level of professional support they deserve is a priority for us. We're still a small (but quickly growing!) company, and we don't have the resources necessary to support a full end-user sales model. It is much more efficent for us to focus on improving Swype and to partner with large organizations like Samsung and T-Mobile who already have customer support structures in place.

2. Device integration. Swype isn't just an app; it's a keyboard - the most widely used piece of software on a device. It interacts with nearly every single application on the phone. As such, it's more like a system component than an application. For each device release we do a tremendous amount of testing and we *always* find issues due to the varying components - the OS version, the device hardware, the OEM UI implementation, etc. In addition, some features can't be implemented without an OEM's engineering assistance. We end up doing a large amount of work on each device to be sure that you have a great experience entering text using Swype.

So, we appreciate your enthusiasm, but we are not ready to do direct-downloads at this time.

Please do not hesitate to email us and let us know your thoughts on this or any other matter, we always want to hear from you!

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Just registered about 15 min. ago..currently waiting on my confirmation email and link. the site appears to be running quite slow at times, so Im guessing their email server might be as well..LOL

chazm

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Un installed and reinstalled swype and get the same message when I try to input a text
"The swype packages you installed is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality. Please contact swype about this"
Its weird. The keys will swype with the blue line but no letters get imputed.

O well shape writer has been kind to me

bsims405

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
swype issue

"Version of swype you installed is designed for a different phone. Swype will continue to run with limited functionality."

Or something like that.

Any ideas? I downloaded and installed through the beta download website. Reinstalled twice.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
So I've been using Swype most of the day without any problems but then all of a sudden it stopped working (kind of). I can still type regularly but when I swipe my finger across the keyboard to spell a word, nothing comes up.

Anyone else having this problem?

chazm

May 18, 2010
Visit site
So I've been using Swype most of the day without any problems but then all of a sudden it stopped working (kind of). I can still type regularly but when I swipe my finger across the keyboard to spell a word, nothing comes up.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thats been my problem from the beginning. Installed it twice and it still does it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech