I do.. if I'm scrolling through an app and I see a good quality icon, this usually means they spent time on the app and it'll be a good app.

If I see some crappy icon, 9 times out of 10 I'll skip it.
    06-18-2010 11:33 AM
    ive never d/l'ed an app b/c of a cool looking icon, but i have not d/l'ed one if i felt like the icon wouldnt jive with my personal tastes being on my screens
    06-18-2010 11:49 AM
    Kind of.

If I'm scrolling through similar apps and I see an icon that catches my eye then I might d/l that one ever an other. But that's only after I look at how many stars an app has though and read some of the comments.
    06-18-2010 12:23 PM
    Kind of.

If I'm scrolling through similar apps and I see an icon that catches my eye then I might d/l that one ever an other. But that's only after I look at how many stars an app has though and read some of the comments.
    This is exactly what I do. A great icon really catches my eye and then I look into the reviews and such.
    06-18-2010 12:37 PM
    I'd be lying if I said I didn't atleast give a second glance to apps that have cool icons. Atleast though when I do find an app that maybe has a boring icon I an always change it by using Better Cut and one of any number of icon packs that you can download on the market.
    06-18-2010 12:45 PM
    No. Sorry. I look first for what i'm trying to accomplish, hopefully for free, and then check users comments and reviews.
    06-18-2010 05:42 PM
    i used to but now i look at the stars first, then i see if the icon looks good. the only exception is ringer mode. the widget looks so out of place, like it's from an old motorola icon pack that i used to have. it also looks like the icons that were originally 80x80 but someone would resize to 120x120.
    06-18-2010 05:48 PM
    I usually make my own icons in Photoshop if I don't like the look of the default one...So no, I don't really look at the icons too much.
    06-19-2010 10:06 AM
    Ditto. Using the icon as a criteria for picking an app is pointless. If you want cool icons, just get Better Cut. There are lots of icon packs or you can just make your own.
    06-19-2010 02:11 PM
    if it's something i really need, i grudgingly download it then use better cut to put a better icon on it. case in point, silentsnap. ugly! also, b&b gallery. with better cut i can give them default camera and gallery icon, and change the name to 'camera' and '2d gallery'. nice 'n' neat.

i don't know why some ppl make such awesome apps with such disgusting icons.

for that matter, anyone noticed the engadget icon is low res? it's engadget for goodness sake! crazy.
    06-22-2010 12:07 AM
    All the time unless I'm looking for a specific app

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    06-22-2010 08:38 AM
    You're kidding, right?
    06-22-2010 10:16 PM
    Just found this thread. :o Guess I better get some better photoshop skills :o

Next time I release an update for SilentSnap I'll update the icon :-)

Also thinking of adding a 1x1 widget so you don't even have to see the writing, what you think?
    06-23-2010 04:52 AM
    Anyone else shop apps by the "coolness" of the icon?
    Nope. I learned long ago as a little kid that book covers are not the way to shop.
    06-23-2010 08:59 AM
    Just found this thread. :o Guess I better get some better photoshop skills :o

Next time I release an update for SilentSnap I'll update the icon :-)

Also thinking of adding a 1x1 widget so you don't even have to see the writing, what you think?
    I'm sorry man, I didn't mean any disrespect. I'm just a fussy bugger. I absolutely love silentsnap's functionality (and am a paid user).

just any kinda open-source icon fitting in with the standard android theme would make me very happy the writing doesn't bother me actually... i just figured as long as i was changing the icon i'd change the writing too.

while we're here, hopefully i'm not hijacking the thread... is it possible to disable the 'you were already in silent mode' text?
    06-23-2010 11:08 PM
    Lots of apps have great potential... Programmer are usually not graphic designer and in the logical development of an application polished launcher icons will comes last.

The problem is when the icon development phase is left out altogether or is discarded as not that important.

imagine buying a new car with no paint on, only bare-bone primer... the engine is killer... but the car looks like sh!t.

Now paint that same car, value goes up right away, wax it? and the consumer might buy it -just because they love the color so much!- in the end, the engine wins because no matter how pretty its still got to drive well, but that 7 seconds first-sight is totally owned by STYLE.
    07-02-2010 11:06 AM
    Lots of apps have great potential... Programmer are usually not graphic designer and in the logical development of an application polished launcher icons will comes last.

The problem is when the icon development phase is left out altogether or is discarded as not that important.

imagine buying a new car with no paint on, only bare-bone primer... the engine is killer... but the car looks like sh!t.

Now paint that same car, value goes up right away, wax it? and the consumer might buy it -just because they love the color so much!- in the end, the engine wins because no matter how pretty its still got to drive well, but that 7 seconds first-sight is totally owned by STYLE.
    Exactly!!

When I'm just being nosey and browsing the marketplace, the first thing that catches my eye is a nice looking icon. If i'm browsing for a specific app, yah that doesn't matter, but if I'm just browsing to look for cool apps/games, the icon is what first catches my eye.
    07-02-2010 11:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD