07-10-2010 10:26 PM
50 12
tools
    Default player has a very non-intuitive UI. Tried mixzing, liked the ipod like interface, but hate that it creates a playlist each time you play a song. Doubletwist was good UI, but didn't pick up all my songs for some reason. Right now I am using cubed which seems to solve some of the problems in the other players. Also Realplayer beta looks promising and intuitive UI wise, but the app for some reason doesn't show up as something I can add to my home screen, and it lacks a widget so far. (have an Evo if that matters)...basically none of them is a perfect solution yet.
    Figured out my issue with Realplayer not showing up in the list of apps to add to the home screen....I ran into some limit with the number of apps I have on my Evo, after a certain amount of apps, it no longer shows the newer apps in the list of apps to add...once I removed some apps, Realplayer showed up fine.

Thanks for the tip about turning off the playlist 'feature' in mixzing.

So far like 3 (cubed) and Realplayer. Cubed also supports scrobble with last.fm which is a bonus.
    06-22-2010 03:47 AM
    Used bTunes for a while but heard about Cubed and I've got to say, it's awesome. Great UI/widget options and was able to grab a ton of album art. I highly recommend trying it out.
    06-22-2010 11:03 AM
    I use stock and pandora.
    06-22-2010 11:13 AM
    Used bTunes for a while but heard about Cubed and I've got to say, it's awesome. Great UI/widget options and was able to grab a ton of album art. I highly recommend trying it out.
    So this must be the Cubed.
    Looks like its free, I'll have to check it out.
    06-22-2010 02:08 PM
    I installed Cubed. Interesting concept, but I still think I like bTunes better.

It looks like plays in Cubed will sync back to iTunes (using iSyncr) only if you have Last.fm scrobbling turned on.
    06-22-2010 04:09 PM
    forgive my noobishness but what is last.fm scrobbling??
    06-22-2010 05:22 PM
    I also use cubed for music. It really does look pretty.

I also use Zimly for playlist creation and for music videos. It seems to play them well on my EVO.
    06-22-2010 10:43 PM
    Last.FM scrobbling is for the site Last.FM. Its a social site for music

It lets your friends know what songs you listen to the most and a good way to keep track of what you listen to across multiple devices.
    WAM likes this.
    06-22-2010 10:44 PM
    Last.FM scrobbling is for the site Last.FM. Its a social site for music

It lets your friends know what songs you listen to the most and a good way to keep track of what you listen to across multiple devices.
    oh ok, thank you
    06-22-2010 11:38 PM
    I use Zimly with its widget. works well and nice UI.
    06-23-2010 08:30 AM
    Where can I download cubed?
    06-25-2010 01:59 AM
    Where can I download cubed?
    Just scan the barcode: (Cubed)
    06-25-2010 02:14 AM
    Just scan the barcode: (Cubed)
    thanks
    06-25-2010 10:21 AM
    Ok, I think I'll jump into the fray here with a request, hoping one of you music hounds can help me. :-)

What I need is a streaming music app. However, what I need is a streaming music app that doesn't only let me select from a list of stations that it knows about - it should allow me to put in the URL for the stream I want to listen to.

Are there any apps out there that do that?

--Dave
    06-25-2010 02:13 PM
    Doubletwist for me. I'm waiting for the widget and lockscreen controls. Hope it won't be too long.
    06-25-2010 10:50 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just did a quick browse of their website, and all I see is mention of syncing and downloading playlists, acting as an "iTunes for Android," downloading and syncing podcasts, etc. All very well and good, but I don't see anything that suggests that I can put a URL for a music stream into it and have it play that stream live.

Can you confirm that it actually does that and they're just not mentioning it on the website (at least the parts that I've looked at so far)?

--Dave
    06-25-2010 11:16 PM
    What I need is a streaming music app. However, what I need is a streaming music app that doesn't only let me select from a list of stations that it knows about - it should allow me to put in the URL for the stream I want to listen to.

Are there any apps out there that do that?
    I can't seem to find a place where you can enter a URL on their website, but people here seem to really like Radio Time. Are you wanting to enter in a URL of a radio stream?

... acting as an "iTunes for Android," downloading and syncing podcasts, etc. All very well and good, but I don't see anything that suggests that I can put a URL for a music stream into it and have it play that stream live.

Can you confirm that it actually does that and they're just not mentioning it on the website (at least the parts that I've looked at so far)?
    Are you talking about DoubleTwist here? I haven't used DoubleTwist to sync yet. I've been using iSyncr to sync because they sync play both ways. I'm not sure if DoubleTwist offers this yet. Hopefully they do.
    06-26-2010 03:18 AM
    I can't seem to find a place where you can enter a URL on their website, but people here seem to really like Radio Time. Are you wanting to enter in a URL of a radio stream?
    Yep, that's exactly what I'm wanting. I looked at Radio Time, downloaded it, then returned/refunded because there was no way that I could find in it to let me enter the URL to a stream. The Internet radio station that I like to listen to is not a terrestrial station that also has a stream; they're strictly Internet Radio. They don't appear in a pre-defined list on the players I've looked at so far. I don't need an app that plays from "a list of thousands of streams" - I need a player that will let me directly enter the URL of the stream I want to listen to.

Are you talking about DoubleTwist here? I haven't used DoubleTwist to sync yet. I've been using iSyncr to sync because they sync play both ways. I'm not sure if DoubleTwist offers this yet. Hopefully they do.
    Yes, in my reply there (forgot to quote a bit, sorry), I was talking about the DoubleTwist app, which user7618 suggested. From the description on their website, I don't see anything that suggests to me that it will allow me to directly input the URL that you want to play a live stream from. I'm not looking to sync a file in *any* direction between my phone, PC, or anything else. I want to put in the URL to a live music stream, and then have it play that stream. So I'm on a quest to find an app that does that.

Does such a beast exist? :-)

--Dave
    06-26-2010 11:02 AM
    I use mixzing for the player. It is very easy to use. Doubletwist appears to only finds music in its folder on your SD card. I've played with RealPlayer, but don't see a benefit over mixzing.

With RealPlayer, has anyone figured out out to get RealPlayerSP to see your phone? I have a Moto Droid and would love to use RealPlayerSP to manage music, etc. But RealPlayerSP does not recognize my phone when connected. You would think that Real would have figured that out before releasing an app.

Right now on the desktop I use I-Tunes for managing play lists and podcasts and Motorola Media Link for transferring music and podcasts to my phone. It works very well (though a bit slow). MML also appears to have a glitch where certain I-tunes songs do not transfer with the right genre.
    07-08-2010 01:30 PM
    I like meridian
    07-09-2010 06:11 AM
    i enjoy Zimly it looks beast
    07-10-2010 06:30 PM
    Radio Time.
    07-10-2010 08:00 PM
    Default player has a very non-intuitive UI. Tried mixzing, liked the ipod like interface, but hate that it creates a playlist each time you play a song. Doubletwist was good UI, but didn't pick up all my songs for some reason. Right now I am using cubed which seems to solve some of the problems in the other players. Also Realplayer beta looks promising and intuitive UI wise, but the app for some reason doesn't show up as something I can add to my home screen, and it lacks a widget so far. (have an Evo if that matters)...basically none of them is a perfect solution yet.
    That's a common double-twist problem. All you have to do is download Astro and delete the database file in the Doubletwist folder on your SD card. Then, when you restart doubletwist, it will see everything with no problems.
    07-10-2010 08:06 PM
    i got Lithium and its fantastic
    07-10-2010 09:40 PM
    I use IHeartRadio for streaming Clear Channel and "A Online Radio" for streaming all other channels. I'm pretty sure A Online will let you enter URLs.

For streaming off my home computer I use Homepipe.

For playing my SD Card I use Meridian or NSWPlayer.
    07-10-2010 10:26 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD