How to Defrag Android Phones

enlightenedapps

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of your support in the building of our app. Today was a big day for us as we released our Android Defrag Pro, you will notice we worked really hard at making it a user friendly interface. Everyone kept saying to us why isnt their a defrag, so we went and made one, we would appreciate if you guys would download it and let us know how it works or if there are any bugs so we can fix it, and if you guys love it please feel free to leave a glowing review.

You can check out here for free at

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...mxpZ2h0ZW5lZGFwcHMuZGVmcmFnIl0&token=fK7qjLO-.

and if you have any questions feel free to contact us at contact@enightenedapps.com

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
it is my understanding that it is both unnecessary and harmful to attempt to defrag flash memory.

unnecessary because it does not improve performance or capacity, and harmful because it can reduce the lifespan of the flash memory.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
it is my understanding that it is both unnecessary and harmful to attempt to defrag flash memory.

unnecessary because it does not improve performance or capacity, and harmful because it can reduce the lifespan of the flash memory.

Exactly correct.

defragging is only necessary on hard drives with moving parts. There's no performance benefit in defragging flash memory, and it's harmful as well. Flash memory wears out and if you defrag it, you'll be doing thousands of unnecessary reads/writes each time, severely reducing the life.

Here's an article explaining it better than I can: http://ask-leo.com/should_i_defragment_my_usb_flash_drive.html

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site

QFT. +1

Defragging flash memory is a waste of time and actually a detriment. Don't do it.

enlightenedapps

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey Everyone, it seems everybody is really getting caught up on the word "defrag", Maybe it was the wrong choice for the title, but all the app does is work at increasing your performance by clearing cache and optimizing RAM

mulasien

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey Everyone, it seems everybody is really getting caught up on the word "defrag", Maybe it was the wrong choice for the title.

I wonder why we're getting 'confused'....hmm...

Maybe it's because the google cached version of your original link (which was taken down), specifically states that it's for defragmenting files (I bolded the relevant bits):

Android Defrag PRO - Android Apps on Google Play

ncrease your Android Mobile & Tablets Performance Speeds, Battery and Memory Today with the NEW Android Defrag PRO version direct from Andriod Google Play Store!
★ Designed for Top Andriod Mobile & Tablet Performance!
Enhanced Android Defrag PRO doesn't just provide simple defragmentation, It also streamlines your file system, enabling your Android to run at top speed with the highest stability possible.
★ One Touch Smart Defrag!
Enhanced Android Defrag PRO works effortlessly, continually and constantly keeping your Android Mobile & Table lag and fragment-free.
★ New Intelligent Android Performance Enhancing Technology!
Android Defrag PRO uses new Android Performance Enhancing technology which allows you to defrag files effortlessly directly from your Android Mobile & tablet for the first time.
★ Android Defrag PRO Version
Over 2 times faster Defrag Speed & battery optimization.
No Advertisements
Andriod Defrag PRO provides extremely intelligent, fast, efficient One Touch defragmentation to your Android Mobile & tablet for Faster File Loading, Higher Disk Performance and Faster Start up times, it also removes harmful unwanted files.
Fragmented files are the cause of 80% of your Android Mobile & Tablets performance degradation, slowing down and draining your battery. At the touch of a button Android Defrag PRO for only 0.99c will meticulously keep your Android Mobile and Tablet running at its Top Performance Speed.

But now that you've been called out on what a bad product this is, you have a completely different application, with a different weblink, that has an app with the exact same name, but is a generic search history eraser/task killer (which is itself not that good of an idea), with the caveat that the task kill button is labeled 'defrag', hence our 'confusion', right?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...mVkYXBwcy5kZWZyYWdwcm9mdWxsIl0&token=qhNPLty9.
Android Mobile & Tablets Performance Speed Enhancer and History Eraser
Download the PRO versions direct from Google Play Store.
Clears History Searches, Kills excess Tasks increasing Battery Life, all at the touch of a button!
★ PERMANENTLY ERASES INTERNET SEARCH HISTORY
★ Created by Young Australian Developers
★ Cleans Memory Caches / Deletes Corrupted Files / Increases Performance!
★ Report Section detailing Used Memory / Free Memory / Repaired Files and Memory Usage PIE Chart!
★ Streamlined design for ease of use (KISS Principle) for your Android Mobile & Tablet!
★ Select either Phone Memory or SD Card from your list and click Defrag, it?s that easy!
★ Beautiful User Friendly Interface Design!
★ Auto Landscape Application Lock to prevent corrupted files or an interrupted Defrag!

★ Android Defrag PRO? Features:
? Over 60% faster than Lite Version
? Better battery optimization
? Kills tasks
? Removes Search History
? No Advertisements during Report
Note: Defragmentation is not permitted on a Mobile flash memory drive. Our software works in a similar way by moving, removing and repairing unwanted cache files and freeing up your Memory and RAM by killing unwanted tasks.

Oh, and why does a task killer/history eraser app need internet access?

Stay away from this developer, folks.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey Everyone, it seems everybody is really getting caught up on the word "defrag", Maybe it was the wrong choice for the title, but all the app does is work at increasing your performance by clearing cache and optimizing RAM

Thanks for the clarification. That's not defraging. Defraging is when you eliminate file fragmentation, meaning one file is saved in more than one physical location on the hard-drive. Fragmentation on a spinning magnetic harddrive slows everything down because the drive has to access more than one place to open or save a file, and in extreme cases can reduce the hard drive life.

Since flash storage has no moving parts, there's no performance issue with having fragmented files. And since flash memory has a limited number or read/writes, the defrag process can reduce it's life because you are doing lots of unnecessary reads/writes.

I'm not sure what you mean by "optimizing" RAM, but it sounds like you're talking about a cache cleaner and task manager/task killer. FYI, Task Killers are something else that is unnecessary detrimental to Android.

But I have to be honest with you. Using the term "defrag" incorrectly, makes me not really trust your app. It makes me wonder if you really know your stuff and know what you're doing. I'm not trying to rude or mean, I'm just being honest with you.

mulasien

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
But I have to be honest with you. Using the term "defrag" incorrectly, makes me not really trust your app. It makes me wonder if you really know your stuff and know what you're doing. I'm not trying to rude or mean, I'm just being honest with you.

Oh, he knows his stuff allright. See my above post about androidpolice.com calling him out. I earlier posted his google cached page of the first version of his app (post is paused for moderation, eh?) that was clearly shown to be a defrag app. It's been reported, taken down, and resubmitted as a generic memory cleaner app.

Dude's a scammer.

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification. That's not defraging. Defraging is when you eliminate file fragmentation, meaning one file is saved in more than one physical location on the hard-drive. Fragmentation on a spinning magnetic harddrive slows everything down because the drive has to access more than one place to open or save a file, and in extreme cases can reduce the hard drive life.

Since flash storage has no moving parts, there's no performance issue with having fragmented files. And since flash memory has a limited number or read/writes, the defrag process can reduce it's life because you are doing lots of unnecessary reads/writes.

I'm not sure what you mean by "optimizing" RAM, but it sounds like you're talking about a cache cleaner and task manager/task killer. FYI, Task Killers are something else that is unnecessary detrimental to Android.

Just to follow up: why are task killers bad? I use Android Assistant to periodically clean up; should I stop?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
With android it is a push pull effect to say. Task killer you kill that app and guess what android will just reopen and doing this will decrease battery. There are some really articles on the subject from Google and jerry on ac.

As for this app it falls same category as task killers and antivirus apps. Feeds on folks fear the world is ending and if they don't protect themselves like there windows PC then all is bad.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Just to follow up: why are task killers bad? I use Android Assistant to periodically clean up; should I stop?

First let me start by saying that I'm not an expert, but I do read and try to understand how this stuff works. I'd definitely recommend reading some expert articles on the topic. Jerry has writted a good one, I think. That being said, I'll do my best to explain to get you started.

Android uses the same approach as Linux for RAM management (which is very different than Windows, which most people are familiar with). The Linux/Android approach says, there's no point to having free RAM; if RAM is free then it's being wasted. So Android keeps recent apps in RAM even after you close them out. This enables you to reopen apps quickly (and using less battery), not lose your state when multitasking, etc. But to prevent lag or crashes, Android will automatically free up RAM as it needs it.

For example, lets say you recently used the Browser, Angry Birds, and GMail. All those app might still be in RAM (along with your launcher and all the needed background processes, etc). This will let you get back to any of those apps quickly and using less battery. But if you open something new, lets say Maps, and Maps needs more RAM then is currently available, Android will remove old apps from RAM to free up enough memory for Maps. So basically it might kill the Browser and Angry Birds to free memory from Maps.

This is why Android phones almost always appear to be "out of RAM" because the OS is designed to keep your RAM full. The older versions of Android (pre-froyo I think) didn't do this very well, and automatic task killers were born. But now Android does a really good job of managing RAM and it's really never necessary to kill an app to free up memory. (It might be necessary to kill an app if it's locked up or causing other problems.)

I hope that made sense.

Reactions: moosc

perfectionsu

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
With the help of defragmentation we can speed up our android mobile phones.we can get this from the google play store easily.To defragment your android you need to follow following steps:

-Connect your Android Mobile to PC using USB cable
-Go to removable storage and Select the "Tools" tab.
-Click on "Defragment Now" option

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
With the help of defragmentation we can speed up our android mobile phones.we can get this from the google play store easily.To defragment your android you need to follow following steps:

-Connect your Android Mobile to PC using USB cable
-Go to removable storage and Select the "Tools" tab.
-Click on "Defragment Now" option

False. See above.

misticfire

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
These are the best defragging programs I just connect the android to pc when my android sped down and soon as i found this link i ran the program with the highest amount of raves and like magic it was working like new and after that i did the same for my lagging mp3 players and everything loaded without a problem try it!

Five Best Disk Defragmentation Tools

JP Rodrigues

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
can all the experts on here please explain to me (tho i dont disagree about the defragging theory) why it is if android is so great at ram management, why do they suck so bad at preventing programs from lagging or occasionally forcing closed an app that is currently being used because its low on ram? Personally i hate android for a phone OS. And i hate needing so many apps when i first get it just to make it functional but ill complain about that elsewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair