K-9 Email problem...

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Using the Incredible with the latest K-9 build...

I have 2 account set up...

The problem.... The size of each account continues to grow even with all email deleted....

These are POP3 accounts and each account seems to grow everyday even with the email deleted from ALL folders...

So.... what am I missing?

Lego!

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes...

Once I delete a message, it goes to the trash and I again delete from there...

Now, since I am using a pop3 account, my wonder is what happens to email that deletes once it no long appears on the server.

The way I am set up is that once I log on from a computer, it downloads the email and clears the server.

K-9 when it goes out and see's that the mail is clear, it then (deletes?) the email from my phone.... Which is the way I have it set up...

But I can't tell you that it places the email into the trash.

Lego!

G-Money713

May 20, 2010
Visit site
MailDroid
by AC & JL
10,000 downloads, 392 ratings (3.8 avg)
Free
rating8.png

stormed

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Have you used K9 before using MailDroid?

Curious if you think MailDroid is better than K9

I'm currently using K9 and I think it's great with IDLE pushing but for me at least, the IDLE pushing isn't very reliable and I often have to poll

K9 also has an annoying behavior where it doesn't act like say thunderbird/or other pc clients where it will just add the newest emails to your headers. Instead it will kind of clear your inbox and grab all of the headers again...depending on how many msgs you want in your inbox.

G-Money713

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Have you used K9 before using MailDroid?

Curious if you think MailDroid is better than K9

I'm currently using K9 and I think it's great with IDLE pushing but for me at least, the IDLE pushing isn't very reliable and I often have to poll

K9 also has an annoying behavior where it doesn't act like say thunderbird/or other pc clients where it will just add the newest emails to your headers. Instead it will kind of clear your inbox and grab all of the headers again...depending on how many msgs you want in your inbox.

I tried k-9 before maildroid. i like maildroid better. personal preference. it was a lot easier to set up and manage to me than k-9. it also works over wifi which i am on whenever i am home or at lunch. it doesn't hurt to try it out. i try anything twice (if it is free) to get what i like.

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Take a look at the folder called K9mail-errors and see if there are any errors in it.

Try this, go to the folder list, select Menu -> More -> Advanced -> Compact. Once finished check your folder sizes. This should reduce the size of your folders.

I did find a note on K-9 on issue 1696, COMPACT (Sqlite's VACUUM) silently fails when space allocated to journals exhausted.

Issue 1696 - k9mail - COMPACT (Sqlite's VACUUM) silently fails when space allocated to journals exhausted - Project Hosting on Google Code

I'm not sure if K-9 does auto compacts or not, but this could be your issue if doing a manual compact doesn't work.

bmhanson

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I tried k-9 before maildroid. i like maildroid better. personal preference. it was a lot easier to set up and manage to me than k-9. it also works over wifi which i am on whenever i am home or at lunch. it doesn't hurt to try it out. i try anything twice (if it is free) to get what i like.

K-9 works over WiFi as well. At least that is how it works for me. I tried mail droid and it did not meet my needs. As you said personal preference though.

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
It's the way the databases work. When you delete stuff it's not really gone from the database. Compact is a process that cleans up the database removing unused containers and defrags the database. Some apps will run a compact automatically to do this, but for some reason K-9 either isn't doing it automatically or something else is messed up.