09-13-2010 08:52 PM
123 ... 345
tools
    I found the favorites button on the sling player mobile app. But, how do I set the favorites? Is it through the app itself or my account on sling's website. I love sling player and have been waiting for it to come out. But, does anyone think the interface is a little strange?
    06-23-2010 02:29 PM
    @RealMike, those are the buttons that would be on my remote for my video component that is set up with my SlingBox. (a HD DVR by ScientificAtlanta)

The Favorite channels are set up on the DVR. You press the Favorites button repetitively (on either the DVR or SlingPlayer) to cycle through the favorite channels that you set up.
    06-23-2010 02:33 PM
    I found the favorites button on the sling player mobile app. But, how do I set the favorites? Is it through the app itself or my account on sling's website. I love sling player and have been waiting for it to come out. But, does anyone think the interface is a little strange?
    Yep, it is strange and I think SlingMedia needs to work on that, otherwise its a great app.
    06-23-2010 02:36 PM
    I find it odd that Sprint and Verizon's flagship multimedia phones, Sprint's EVO and Verizon's Droid X (July 15th) have HDMI out and Sling isn't supporting it--crippling the phones, really. Why?--laziness? Also, this license thing is weird and dysfunctional. A "Sling Mobile" license allows for cross-platform--Sling agrees that--but only in the market it was bought in? Who thought of that convoluted nonsense. Why can't they provide a download version from the Sling store? I'm a big fan of Sling and have a number of their products that I use daily--however, right now I feel like I'm being messed around (HDMI) and nickel and dimmed ($30), or rather dollar'd and dollar'd.
    06-23-2010 05:51 PM
    Went out today and bought a Slingbox Solo. Hooked it into my router via some old Netgear HD Powerline 100 wall warts I had laying around. Configuration was so transparent and seamless I couldn't believe how easy it was. Whatever port forwarding or IP address assignment that might have occured was completely automatic and almost instantaneous. All I had to do on my end was plug in the component cables from my STB, position the IR transmitter over the remote sensor on the STB, sign up for a User ID and password, pick my Set Top Box from a drop down list, and pick my Cable provider (Verizon Fios) from a list. Immediately I was watching TV on my computer monitor. Then I paid another $30 for the Android App, logged in to my account and without any hiccups I was watching HBO on my Droid!

I am very impressed with how solid the app and how good the video quality is compared to Orb. 3G works quite well. Even if I enter a black hole of no 3G signal for several minutes the app doesn't freak out, it just freezes the picture and waits for the signal to come back and then resumes no problem.

Although the phone does get hot with extended viewing, I found the battery drain to be less drastic than I'd feared. Even though I started watching with only 50% I was still able to get in almost an hour of viewing before I got a 15% warning.

Although I haven't yet explored the interface yet beyond simply switching channels, I must say that so far Sling has exceeded my expectations. Not only that, but it may actually save me money in the long run because now my kid away at college won't need to buy Cable TV service.
    06-23-2010 08:43 PM
    THAT sucks!!! If I were to consider it again that would be one thing I would want. Take the phone to a friends house and watch stuff. Not that I would probably use it much but still.

Don't get me wrong, I may get a SB in the future but only if it goes on sale big time. It is just not worth $300 for the box then another $30 for this software for the very few times that I personally would use it. I can see you guys getting this if you use it a LOT, I guess it is worth it more then.

I am happy to hear that the Android version works well though. I still think it should be free or maybe $10.

I am going to start playing with Orb again. I used to use that on my PalmOS devices and the Pre over the web interface, worked well and is free. There is an Android version to control it directly. This is a good option for me since I have an HTPC I leave on 24/7/
    You don't have to pay $300 for a box. You can get a new Slingbox Solo for close to $150. And take it from me, this blows ORB away in picture quality, ease of use and reliability.
    06-23-2010 09:01 PM
    Is anyone else's skipping real bad?
    Nope, over 3G mine doesn't skip at all. But it does freeze if I lose my 3G signal.
    06-23-2010 09:02 PM
    Does anyone know if this works with FIOS?
    I have a Slingbox Solo working with Verizon Fios.
    06-23-2010 09:06 PM
    I hooked up my Slingbox AV to my Tive HD, using S-Video and it works great. The widesreen HD signal gets squeezed horizontally, but both the desktop and android app can stretch it back out to the proper 16:9 ratio.

Quality is pretty good, but I am considering getting the Pro-HD model so it is more beautifuler.
    06-24-2010 11:06 AM
    Screenshot showing Favorites button

thanks. yeah, this button is a button you have on your remote for whatever box you are using. it is not a specific button to the android slingplayer unfortunately. thus, a person like myself with a hd directv dvr has no favorites button.

really makes no sense how someone could decide not to include this feature when even the earliest winmo version of this software had it. EVERY single other platform for slingplayer has a favorites button with channel logos which obviously makes changing channels so much easier.
    06-24-2010 01:26 PM
    I have had a slingbox solo since around 07 and it is a fantastic product. Easy to install easy to use and man does it look good on my EVO. Slingbox rules!!!
    06-24-2010 01:27 PM
    Thinking about upgrading my Slingbox AV to a Solo or Pro-HD. Mostly watch on my Evo with andorid client over 3G. I have plenty of upstream bandwidth from the network the Slingbox is on.

Can anyone comment if the Pro-HD provides better quality in this scenario over the Solo? Or would they end up looking about the same on the android client?
    06-25-2010 10:14 AM
    I have a motorola droid and i'm about to purchase slingbox app. My question is will it work with a slingbox classic? has any one tried using slingbox classic if so please let me know
    06-25-2010 05:46 PM
    I just downloaded the slingbox app and it works. I'm also using a slingbox classic. there was a message that appeared stating that it will work but I should go to www.slingplayer and upgrade my configuration, I just ignored it.and it is still working
    06-25-2010 06:17 PM
    Thinking about upgrading my Slingbox AV to a Solo or Pro-HD. Mostly watch on my Evo with andorid client over 3G. I have plenty of upstream bandwidth from the network the Slingbox is on.

Can anyone comment if the Pro-HD provides better quality in this scenario over the Solo? Or would they end up looking about the same on the android client?
    As I understand it the Pro-HD allows you to add more components but the picture quality is exactly the same.
    06-26-2010 06:51 AM
    As I understand it the Pro-HD allows you to add more components but the picture quality is exactly the same.
    Are you sure? I thought the Solo only streams SD. Not sure it makes a difference with the Android phone, but other clients might not look as good.
    06-26-2010 10:46 AM
    if only watching sling player on my HTC EVO, will there be much of a difference with the HD and solo for quality? I have an HD DVR box hooked up to my solo, just seeing if that's good enough for just watching on my EVO.

Edit: just read the above posts....Now w
    06-26-2010 11:44 AM
    Can I get some info on slingbox is there a monthly fee? How does it set up at the house? Do I need to run new wiring to the box? Or is it wifi to my router? I'm really looking or liking this set up.
    06-26-2010 01:52 PM
    I have 2 questions. I am going to buy a slingbox and like the others is it worth the money to get the hd only to watch on a phone or laptop? Also i have a wdtv live box that i use to stream from pc to tv. Can i stream from pc thru wdtv box thru the slingbox and watch stuff off my pc on my phone? That would be great. If anyone has answers please help, i am buying this weekend.
    TIA
    06-26-2010 04:51 PM
    Does anybody know if there is an Audio only setting? And where to find it. Can't seem to find it.
    06-26-2010 09:54 PM
    Can I get some info on slingbox is there a monthly fee? How does it set up at the house? Do I need to run new wiring to the box? Or is it wifi to my router? I'm really looking or liking this set up.
    There is no monthly fee. And, as far as I can determine, you cannot wifi Slingbox to hook it up. They sell home plugs (networking thru electrical wiring) so you don't necessarily have to run dedicated cat5 cable. But I don't use their version. I found cheaper home plugs elsewhere.

I have a Slingbox Solo. I ran the Sling Mobile ($30 app) at work and watched the World Cup this AM. It streamed an HD picture.

I think you (as well as other people with questions on hooking up a Slingbox) should check out the Slingbox forums. They can give you device specific answers. Afterall, the Slingbox isn't just for Android...just their Sling Mobile app.

Slingbox Mobile Android Forums

Slingbox General Forums
    06-27-2010 01:44 AM
    Any one using ViP922 SlingLoaded DVR Receiver from DISH with EVO? Complaints? Reviews?
    08-26-2010 10:50 AM
    I have FIOS and Slingbox HD PRO Works GREAT!!!!! Best App ever! I Love SlingBox I just have to hook up the other inputs, Hmm so many choices....
    09-13-2010 08:52 PM
123 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD