eMail apps, which do you recommend

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
OK, I'm coming from the Palm Pre August first (or thereabouts). I like, or at least I'm used to, having all of my email accounts in one email app. It appears to me that many android phones come pre-installed with two email apps, a gmail app and another email app from the phones manufacture. I know I am apt to lose some gmail features by using another app but I would rather have a single app.

I need to connect to three email accounts; my personal gmail account, my ISP email account, and my work MS Exchange account.

So what is the best out there that can support all of those in a single interface?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Doc

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The e-mail app that comes with Android (not the Gmail app) should be able to handle Exchange and your ISP e-mail whether it is a pop3 account or IMAP.

Another free option is K-9 Mail.

For a paid app, Touchdown has gotten really good reviews. There is also Enhanced Email which I use and does a really good job (it was a free app of the day from Amazon awhile back).

Try the free apps first and if they do not work for you then think of the paid apps. Make sure to check the reviews for your android device to make sure that there are no issues.

Doc

G-Money713

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I prefer MailDroid over Touchdown and K-9. I have used it every since I came over from BlackBerry. But give the stock email client a try when you get the phone. It has been greatly improved since my first experiences with it 3 years ago.

Sent from another galaxy... Tab 2 10.1

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
+1 for K9.

It's a fully functional, full featured email client. Only downside is that it isn't the prettiest when it comes to the UI. I use it extensively.

Doc

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
My mistake, MailDroid does support Exchange. The free version though does not allow you to move to the next or previous message, along with some other limitations.

Doc

gregski

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Another vote for Enhanced Email. I tried, and paid for, K-10 (from the makers of K-9) and MailDroid. Enhanced Email worked much better for me than either of those. It was fast, lightweight and just plain worked. If you go to their forum, you can get a 7 day trial copy.

baai

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
CAMiller, what e-mail app did you decide on? I just moved from Pre (Sprint) to Verizon to get a Galaxy S III and am having trouble with the built-in e-mail app. In particular, the built in app doesn't display text of some incoming e-mails.

Also, the built-in e-mail app is missing some features I want:
  • Ability to reply from a different e-mail address than the one the e-mail was sent to.
  • Ability to have a different Reply-to address than the one sent from.
  • Auto Bcc to a different e-mail address than the one sending from.
  • Poll frequency for POP e-mail more frequent than every 15 minutes (different for each account).

Does K-9, Enhanced E-mail, Touchdown or MailDroid have these features?

Reactions: tsells

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Do any of the email apps above support pinch/zoom for HTML email?

I'm getting tired of panning around HTML emails on the Gmail app (why Google still doesn't have pinch/zoom on the Gmail app is beyond me). :-\

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Like MBSMD, I'd like to know if there are any email apps that support pinch zoom. Being used to iOS I'm accustomed to being able to pinch zoom any email which is nice when there might be some small details embedded. I notice neither the stock ICS email (on a GS3) nor the Gmail app support pinch zoom and that's something that bothers me. And yes, I realize Android is not iOS but with all the customizing apps, etc. I would think there's a good solution. Thanks.

lonewolf217

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
the stock email app on the nexus does support pinch zoom. I am actually still using now because as nice as moxier mail and touchdown might be, the minor differences aren't worth the $20 price tag on them.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
K-9 mail supports pinch zoom.
And its free.

Guys: if you srt up your Gmail account on the website to use imap you can test any number of email packages without loss of a single email.

Same is true for any imap account or exchange server account. Also works for Yahoo.

For pop3 accounts, often the best way is to have your Gmail account pop your legacy pop3 account. That way you don't have to poll so many pop accounts, and you don't lose mail because it was picked up by a different device or computer.

Sent from my HOX

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
icebike.. when I read the reviews for K9 Mail it doesn't look like it's working that well. And these comments were reported as recently as yesterday. Evidently there was an update that's buggy and it's not allowing syncing and is also has been having issues with Yahoo (which is my primary email address). Thanks.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
icebike.. when I read the reviews for K9 Mail it doesn't look like it's working that well. And these comments were reported as recently as yesterday. Evidently there was an update that's buggy and it's not allowing syncing and is also has been having issues with Yahoo (which is my primary email address). Thanks.

It works perfectly for me with Yahoo.
You have to recognize that yahoo uses non-standard mail settings (in fact almost everything about Yahoo.mail is non standard), so you have to use the manual setup option in K-9. The Yahoo Page about how to do this is here.

Sync works too. I get instant notification of incoming mail.

But you are correct, this latest version fails to mark things as READ if I read them on a different device/computer. This is a new bug, but it might have something to do with ICS, because I check the same accounts on my old Nexus One, and mail status (read, replied, etc) syncs there just fine.

K-9 Mail offers a lot of customization, and may not be the best choice for the casual mail user. Those folks should stick with either the built in Gmail app or the Mail app.

Deepest sympathies for having Yahoo as your primary mail address. Been there, done that, still have the tattered tee-shirt. ;)

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
CAMiller, what e-mail app did you decide on? I just moved from Pre (Sprint) to Verizon to get a Galaxy S III and am having trouble with the built-in e-mail app. In particular, the built in app doesn't display text of some incoming e-mails.

Also, the built-in e-mail app is missing some features I want:
  • Ability to reply from a different e-mail address than the one the e-mail was sent to.
  • Ability to have a different Reply-to address than the one sent from.
  • Auto Bcc to a different e-mail address than the one sending from.
  • Poll frequency for POP e-mail more frequent than every 15 minutes (different for each account).

Does K-9, Enhanced E-mail, Touchdown or MailDroid have these features?

I think I mentioned in my original post that I won't get my upgrade until about Aug 1. I will let you know what I end up with once I know ;)

G-Money713

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I like maildroid's interface better than k-9. It seems to flow better. It has combined in box and yahoo support.

Sent from another Galaxy... S II

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Actually, the stock email app on the Galaxy S3 seems to be better than the standard ICE/JB mail app found on the GNex. It seems to handle HTML better and I can zoom out to see nearly the whole message layout on screen (like iOS), something I can't do on the GNex's mail app (and something Gmail STILL can't do).

I think for now I'll stick with Samsung's stock S3 email app.

bobkornz

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I just switched from gmail and yahoo mail to the stock email app for my 3 gmail and 1 yahoo acct. At least now I have ability to adjust polling frequency or turn off sync altogether and just pull as needed. I also turned off email sync on gmail but left sync on for everything else. I am testing if this works and if it saves some battery life. It is kinda silly that google doesnt offer ability to adjust poll frequency for mail, contacts, chrome, drive, photos, etc.. Not clear how often they try to synch but the most data I do get is e-mail. Still, not clear if this will have any affect. Also, not 100% clear if I can simply turn off synch on all the other google apps and pull as needed as I see no synch button on Contats for instance so not clear how or if they would synch if I unchecked the sync. Anyone have any color on that??

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084