Google Voice for everyone

blastncast

May 3, 2010
Visit site
There are two options when setting up the account.
1. You can either use Google Voice with your existing mobile phone number and get:
Voicemail like email, with automatic transcriptions sent via email and SMS
Low cost international calls to the entire world
Custom voicemail greetings based on who is calling.
2. OR choose a new Google phone number to get these additional features:
One phone number that rings all your phones
The ability to send and receive SMS messages via email
Spam filter to block unwanted callers.

My question is for those that have either of the options. What are the benefits of each? Choose a new number or just use my existing number that everyone already knows? I really don't want to retrain friends, family, business, etc. on the new number.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
There are two options when setting up the account.
1. You can either use Google Voice with your existing mobile phone number and get:
Voicemail like email, with automatic transcriptions sent via email and SMS
Low cost international calls to the entire world
Custom voicemail greetings based on who is calling.
2. OR choose a new Google phone number to get these additional features:
One phone number that rings all your phones
The ability to send and receive SMS messages via email
Spam filter to block unwanted callers.

My question is for those that have either of the options. What are the benefits of each? Choose a new number or just use my existing number that everyone already knows? I really don't want to retrain friends, family, business, etc. on the new number.

I dont get it I set up one Google phone number, but it doesnt ring all my phones I have it forwarded too. Frustrating. :mad:

BB9530

May 8, 2010
Visit site
How do you call using Google voice?

I had to dial the number your given, select option 2, and dial number you want to call and press #. I wonder what number will show up on your billing. If its your google number, could you add this to my top ten number so i dont get charged minutes

nmyeti

May 22, 2010
Visit site
With the android app you can setup GV to let you do one of 4 things for outgoing calls.

1. Never use Google Voice
2. Always use Google Voice
3. Use Google Voice all international calls
4. Ask Google voice to ask every time I dial

If you set it up as #4 after you hit "call" it will ask you if you want to complete this action with your carrier or with Google Voice.

Same with txt messages, when you click on someone in your contacts to compose a txt to Android will ask if you want to complete this action using Google Voice or the stock SMS account.

I've switched pretty much everyone I know that doesn't have Verizon to my Google Voice number.

One other benefit (besides being able to email or txt your VMs) is that it allows you to drop the annoying Verizon visual voicemail add on to your account.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ok, My Droid will not find the app in the market. Account is setup and works but even clicking the google link to the market pulls up not found when my wifes eris finds it. I am on 2.2 rooted if it matters.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike7star