06-23-2010 11:48 AM
31 12
tools
    06-22-2010 12:25 PM
    Beat me to it
    06-22-2010 12:44 PM
    Been using it for a year now, welcome to the club everyone! Its SWEET
    06-22-2010 12:58 PM
    Thanks much appreciated. Im going to try this out. This will work well as a business only phone line for me.
    06-22-2010 01:12 PM
    Just saw this on phonescoop's site:

Google Voice Blog: Google Voice for everyone
    pwnst_r likes this.
    06-22-2010 01:18 PM
    Welcome everyone, to the way you Telephony SHOULD be.
    06-22-2010 01:20 PM
    Been using it for a year now, welcome to the club everyone! Its SWEET
    How do you get an acount?
    06-22-2010 01:24 PM
    This is super good and powerful, I've been using my GV #exclusively since September.

As you'd expect the app in the market on Android is awesome, but don't forget to to forward your voice mail by using the dial code! (you'll see what I mean when setting up google voice).
    06-22-2010 01:35 PM
    I heard that getting calls via google voice comes across as Landline and will therefore eat into our minutes.

What has been your experience?
    06-22-2010 01:40 PM
    Can google voice ring to two phone numbers? I have a phone number forwarding to two different phone numbers but only one number rings. Is there a way around it besides deleting one of the forwarding numbers? Hope that makes sense.
    06-22-2010 01:44 PM
    Remember, if you call using Google Voice from your phone, it will show your phone's number, not the GV number, yet. It WILL show your GV # if you text via the app though.
    06-22-2010 01:47 PM
    Can google voice ring to two phone numbers? I have a phone number forwarding to two different phone numbers but only one number rings. Is there a way around it besides deleting one of the forwarding numbers? Hope that makes sense.
    You can only associate one phone at a time.
    Dukins likes this.
    06-22-2010 01:54 PM
    i don't get it. is it just me?
    would someone, like folks who have used this for a year, explain in plain language how google voice is different than what everyone with a cellphone already gets from their carrier?
    06-22-2010 03:14 PM
    Is it true that if someone calls you GV number that it counts as land line minutes? If so, that eliminates a lot of the reasons I would GV in the first place.
    06-22-2010 03:42 PM
    would someone, like folks who have used this for a year, explain in plain language how google voice is different than what everyone with a cellphone already gets from their carrier?
    this should help you out. it describes what you can use it for and how it may benefit you. i just use it as a free visual voicemail app since almost everbody i know has verizon and i have free mobile to mobile.

06-22-2010 03:45 PM
    if i only have one phone(my cell) is this worth getting? i mean what are the benfits for google voice with one line?

im not bashing it, just dont know much about it.
    06-22-2010 04:15 PM
    I had Google voice before it was google voice. Google bought out Grand Central. To get to your question, it can ring up to 8 phones, I believe. I have it ringing both of my cellphones right now.
    06-22-2010 04:21 PM
    Is it true that if someone calls you GV number that it counts as land line minutes? If so, that eliminates a lot of the reasons I would GV in the first place.
    Yes, it comes through as a land line.
    06-22-2010 04:22 PM
    if i only have one phone(my cell) is this worth getting? i mean what are the benfits for google voice with one line?

im not bashing it, just dont know much about it.
    Here's the best reason to get Google voice. If you change your cellphone or house number for one reason or another, if you've given out your google voice number to your friends, they don't have to get another number from you since they are using your google voice number anyways. Also, let's say you're in Plano, TX (469 area code) and your family is in Louisiana (504 area code). They don't want to spend the long distance to call you (old house phone plan), you can get a local 504 area code number for them to call and it will forward to your phone. No cost to anyone there. :-D
    06-22-2010 04:24 PM
    1) You can get a different area code from a different state making it local for people from that area code to call you.
    2) Voicemails are sent to you as a text message.
    3) I've had google voice since it was grandcentral.com
    4) Privacy. You don't have to give out your real number and when people call it, you can screen the call.
    06-22-2010 04:27 PM
    There are two options when setting up the account.
    1. You can either use Google Voice with your existing mobile phone number and get:
    Voicemail like email, with automatic transcriptions sent via email and SMS
    Low cost international calls to the entire world
    Custom voicemail greetings based on who is calling.
    2. OR choose a new Google phone number to get these additional features:
    One phone number that rings all your phones
    The ability to send and receive SMS messages via email
    Spam filter to block unwanted callers.

My question is for those that have either of the options. What are the benefits of each? Choose a new number or just use my existing number that everyone already knows? I really don't want to retrain friends, family, business, etc. on the new number.
    06-22-2010 04:39 PM
    There are two options when setting up the account.
    1. You can either use Google Voice with your existing mobile phone number and get:
    Voicemail like email, with automatic transcriptions sent via email and SMS
    Low cost international calls to the entire world
    Custom voicemail greetings based on who is calling.
    2. OR choose a new Google phone number to get these additional features:
    One phone number that rings all your phones
    The ability to send and receive SMS messages via email
    Spam filter to block unwanted callers.

My question is for those that have either of the options. What are the benefits of each? Choose a new number or just use my existing number that everyone already knows? I really don't want to retrain friends, family, business, etc. on the new number.

I dont get it I set up one Google phone number, but it doesnt ring all my phones I have it forwarded too. Frustrating.
    06-22-2010 04:45 PM
    I dont get it I set up one Google phone number, but it doesnt ring all my phones I have it forwarded too. Frustrating.
    You have it setup correctly? It rings all of my phones that I have it set to.
    06-22-2010 04:50 PM
    How do you call using Google voice?

I had to dial the number your given, select option 2, and dial number you want to call and press #. I wonder what number will show up on your billing. If its your google number, could you add this to my top ten number so i dont get charged minutes
    06-22-2010 04:51 PM
    With the android app you can setup GV to let you do one of 4 things for outgoing calls.

1. Never use Google Voice
    2. Always use Google Voice
    3. Use Google Voice all international calls
    4. Ask Google voice to ask every time I dial

If you set it up as #4 after you hit "call" it will ask you if you want to complete this action with your carrier or with Google Voice.

Same with txt messages, when you click on someone in your contacts to compose a txt to Android will ask if you want to complete this action using Google Voice or the stock SMS account.

I've switched pretty much everyone I know that doesn't have Verizon to my Google Voice number.

One other benefit (besides being able to email or txt your VMs) is that it allows you to drop the annoying Verizon visual voicemail add on to your account.
    06-22-2010 05:02 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD