Quick question about different calling options. Things like Skype, Fring or other applications like that...how do they work? do they use calling plan minutes? How do they show up on your bill?

What's the best application out there for placing phone calls?
    06-22-2010 01:04 PM
    Quick question about different calling options. Things like Skype, Fring or other applications like that...how do they work? do they use calling plan minutes? How do they show up on your bill?

What's the best application out there for placing phone calls?
    >Quick question about different calling options. Things like Skype, Fring or other applications like that...how do they work?
    They use your data connection, similar like how Vonage uses your broadband modem for the voice calls.

> do they use calling plan minutes?
    Since those apps you listed use VoIP (Voice over IP), they do not use your calling plan minutes.

>How do they show up on your bill?
    They will show up on your data plan bill.

>What's the best application out there for placing phone calls?
    Well that depends on the user. If you use Skype on your PC, then you can use Skype on your phone. I heard Fringe is another good one to use. Me, I am waiting for Google Voice to be VoIP enabled, then I will switch. One thing you have to remember that each of these VoIP apps, need a decent data connection.

Hope that helps.
    tmettler5 likes this.
    06-22-2010 03:17 PM
    Do the numbers dialed and recieved show up in the bill like regular calling plan numbers?
    06-22-2010 04:24 PM
    opp wrong page
    06-22-2010 04:44 PM
    Do the numbers dialed and recieved show up in the bill like regular calling plan numbers?
    It's a DATA call, it goes through your DATA plan, no it does not show on your bill
    tmettler5 likes this.
    06-22-2010 05:02 PM
    What other apps besides Fring and Skype are out there?

And another newbie question? How do I know if the call is data and not plan? Just by virtue of using the app?
    06-23-2010 01:52 AM
    What other apps besides Fring and Skype are out there?

And another newbie question? How do I know if the call is data and not plan? Just by virtue of using the app?
    I started using TiKL it is a push to talk app, walkie talkie, but each person has to have it installed. Works great.

If Google is correct, Google Voice will be voip enabled.

There is a lot. In android market place, there is roughly 41 voip apps that you can install.

>How do I know if the call is data and not plan? Just by virtue of using the app
    not counting GV at this time, when you install a voip app, and it says it requires full Internet/Network access, it will be using data to work. Or you can go to menu -> settings -> applicatons -> manage applications, and open up an app there, at the very bottom under permissions it will list what it has permissions too.
    Also, when you read about the voip app, it will say like, "No voice plan or SMS used for calls."
    06-23-2010 08:58 AM
    By reading up on the app.
    06-23-2010 09:01 AM
    I too have a question about this. I recently upgraded to the EVO fom my Blackberry Tour 9630. I am leaving to to away to the caribbean in a couple weeks and wanted to know if i can use wifi on my EVO to make calls when i'm there. This way i wont have to pay for international roaming charges. I have a fring and skype account and have fring installed on my EVO. Any help would be nice.

i guess that i can take my old bb tour with me and just pop an international prepaid sim, but i'll rather just carry my EVO.
    06-23-2010 09:16 AM
    By reading up on the app.
    True...but sometimes the terms are confusing if you aren't completely familiar with the vocabulary, which is partially why I am asking for some assistance.
    06-23-2010 10:36 AM
    I have the same question as NKAWAL. Can fring call cell phones in the US from Europe through a wifi connection?
    06-23-2010 01:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD