I think I am missing something. I don't seem to understand really what google voice is and how I would use it. So I get 1 phone number and it rings on all of the phones I want. I can tell it to ring certain phones during certain times and days of weeks. I can tell it to ring certain phones based on who is calling. I can force some calls right to voice mail.

Is that really the idea of it?
    I signed up and got a phone number, I'm just not sure why or how I would use it.
    06-23-2010 09:29 AM
    I use google voice only for the visual voicemail service. Now i can read my voicemails while im at work rather than calling.
    06-23-2010 09:33 AM
    yeah I don't get it either - but I use it now for visual voicemail
    06-23-2010 09:35 AM
    You can have one phone number for life regardless if you get a new cell line. No need to have your cell number ported to a new provider.
    06-23-2010 09:42 AM
    I just use my number for business. I dont have an office phone, so I use a google voice number to call all my employees at once, so someone can take the call on their cellphones. Its a nice option to have and you dont have a monthly bill.
    06-23-2010 09:44 AM
    You can have one phone number for life regardless if you get a new cell line. No need to have your cell number ported to a new provider.
    True, but don't you lose out on all of those free "mobile to mobile" minutes?
    06-23-2010 09:45 AM
    you also get free sms. For me, I now have my girlfriend (on AT&T) text my GV number, but my family (Verizon) texts my normal number because i have unlimited Verizon to Verizon. This allowed me to drop from unlimited to 500 texts and save some money (500 still retains the unlimited to verizon).

Also, if you have a 5 favorites type plan, you can add your GV number as a favorite and you effectively get unlimited calling because all calls go to and from the GV number. I don't do this because i have the 450 min plan, but it's an option for some people.

I just wish the text part supported MMS.
    06-23-2010 09:49 AM
    Free SMS and free domestic long distance on the home phone. The transription isn't perfect but good enough to get an idea of if you need to listen immediately or not.
    06-23-2010 10:06 AM
    love it for google voice and how well it intigrates on the droid. i use it mainly for free visual voicemail its not the best but free and works well enough for me. i have yet to give out the number to anyone yet so can't comment on any of that side but so far i love having it
    06-23-2010 10:13 AM
    love it for google voice and how well it intigrates on the droid. i use it mainly for free visual voicemail its not the best but free and works well enough for me. i have yet to give out the number to anyone yet so can't comment on any of that side but so far i love having it
    How are you getting "free visual voicemail" if you haven't given out the number? Don't people need to call that number in order to leave the voicemail?
    06-23-2010 10:35 AM
    True, but don't you lose out on all of those free "mobile to mobile" minutes?
    YES! Be careful using the GV number to call out or receive a call in on it. You WILL be using your minutes since that is considered a land line. M2M only works when dialing from your cell phone to another cell phone directly.

What I use it mainly for is with Sprint you can set up a number for your voicemail to go to directly, bypassing Sprints voicemail all together. I use that feature and it is GREAT!!! That allows you total control over your voicemail and calls. I also use the phone forwarding feature for appointments etc.. That way they can call one number and it rings my work, home and cell phones. Again it does use my minutes but with M2M I have tons left each month!

Sprint rules! ii

Google Voice: One number to rule them all!!!
    06-23-2010 10:36 AM
    I have a question. I cant for the life of me figure out how to setup the voicemail. I have my phone setup for voicemail to go through google voice, but it is not saying my message. When I call my phone from a different number there is just a silent sound, ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Can someone help me troubleshoot?
    06-23-2010 10:53 AM
    Paladin - I am also on Sprint, but I don't understand what you are saying you are doing with the voicemail. Can you explain it again, and explain how to set it up. TIA
    06-23-2010 10:59 AM
    How are you getting "free visual voicemail" if you haven't given out the number? Don't people need to call that number in order to leave the voicemail?
    Nope. When you set set up Google Voice as your voicemail service on your phone it will direct your calls to Google instead of your phone companies VM.

I use my Google Voice for everything. I have set it up be used for all calls in and out and I only give out my GV number. I have my plan set with a "friends and family" package and no texting which saves me money each month. In essence I have unlimited calling and texting for nearly half the price of what my carrier would charge.
    06-23-2010 11:08 AM
    Here are the two things I like about Google Voice:
    1. Don't have to worry about giving out your new number all the time. With GV # it points to what ever number you want to use.
    2. Soon, GV will be voip enabled. That means you can use GV on your android device to make free calls.
    06-23-2010 11:20 AM
    Paladin - I am also on Sprint, but I don't understand what you are saying you are doing with the voicemail. Can you explain it again, and explain how to set it up. TIA

With Sprint they now allow you to bypass the voice mailbox that you get with them. When your call goes to VM it is directed to a number of your choice. You could make it just ring your home phone if you wanted that. Of course that would not be useful from your cell so most just have it forwarded to your Google voice number.

Then from the callers side they just call you then get your GV account. Then in your GV account you set up all the different messages per caller or just use it generic

To forward your Sprints VM, there are also a few setting in your GV that you should select, check out this article from the Palm Pre sister site:

Dieter did a great job at explaining what you need to do, the same applies for an Android device or any phone.
    Just use the Step 2: Settings in Google Voice, ignore the rest.
    http://www.webosnation.com/how-get-v...g-google-voice
    06-23-2010 11:41 AM
    Welp I guess I will have to go back to regular phone. For some reason I cant get the voicemail to activate once I reject a call. If I dont reject a call it goes to one of my employees personal voicemails and what good is that.
    06-23-2010 12:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD