Are widgets launcher specific?

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I just switch to GO Launcher (which I love)! (My very first launcher and I'm delighted with how well it works on my S3).

Question:

Am I limited to only GoWidgets? (On my EVO, I had purchased beautiful widgets, I see some buzz about 'pure widgets'). When I install some apps (like weather channel), it also installs its own widgets.

Just a little confused about the architecture,
Mike

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I have read (and posted a link prior to this post) that certain widgets are tied to your stock Launcher. Like the stock weather widget for your S3 is tied to Touchwiz. There may be ways around it, but, if you put on another launcher, from what I read, you wont be easily using the weather widget.

You should be able to use widgets from apps, I don't see why that would cause any problems.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
No problem. That doesn't mean there isn't a way to get them working. I hope I didn't discourage you from trying and poking around AC and Google to try and find an answer. I just read a couple of threads elsewhere saying that it was tied to Touchwiz and that someone would have to make it so that it worked. Maybe you can find a solution and post it. :p

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
There are also widget packs you get get from the play store (some free and some cost) like Fancy Widgets, Beautiful Widgets, etc. These should work on any launcher.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Jean, that sounds like a good idea.

So, with that said, I wonder what makes certain widgets launcher specific? (Is it that they assume the overall theme of the launcher, whereas, for example, the weather channel widget is always BLUE/WHITE, regardless of theme or launcher?)

Mike

mulasien

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
In regards to your question about Beautiful Widgets, it will work on any launcher just fine.

The ones that might not work are a few that came pre-installed with the stock launcher that are designed to only work with that launcher. I can't recall any offhand that don't work with any one on my S2. I do know that several of the Go Widgets will only work with Go Launcher.

99% of the time, widgets will work with any launcher.

Reactions: Devinator

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech