I have a lot of experience tinkering with and advising developers of various input methods on mobile devices. Just started using Swype and am excited by the potential!

I posted some recommendations on their site that I think would greatly improve Swype. If you agree, please vote them up! (You don't have to log in to vote )

Topics include:
    • AutoText / Text Expander [[I just added a comment to this one but was going to post something like it myself!]]
    • Additional symbols/punctuation available by drag!
    • Improved word correction window word selection
    • Easier access to alternate keyboards
    • Direct access to hyphen & asterisk in SYM keyboard!
    • Making Swype button more understandable and versatile...
    • Ability to toggle on/off Swyping easily (hear me out!)
    • Cursor jump with arrows isn't working in this version

Thanks,
    Aaron
    06-24-2010 07:12 PM
    how about adding the microphone button so we can speak our texts when necessary. it's quite a pain switching back to the stock keyboard to do this
    06-25-2010 02:16 AM
    The major problem areas for me in Swype are:
    • Ability to input symbols such as question mark, apostrophe, hyphen (I love the way HTC_IME handles it, but Swype slows me down and I can't get the hang of the Swype method)
    • Ability to input numbers (the staggered numbers in Swype are confusing, and I find it much easier to do in HTC_IME)
    • Entering URLs (it seems entering URLs often fails because the keyboard is attempting to put together works.
    • No voice input button on the keyboard
    06-25-2010 02:25 AM
    how about adding the microphone button so we can speak our texts when necessary. it's quite a pain switching back to the stock keyboard to do this
    +100 That should be at the top of the list for Inc. users.
    06-25-2010 09:06 AM
    Yea, I think we all would like the mic/voice input buttom
    Earlier, I was listening to the Engadget podcast, and they were talking about the Droid X & the Swype keyboard, and Joshua Topolsky asserted that punctuation input in Swype is not very good.
    06-26-2010 03:01 AM
    I love this app, but the weird thing is, highlighting a word and hitting the swype key no longer prompts me with the option to delete it, so I've got some stupid words that I accidentally added that I wish I could remove and just can't anyone know if that is a bug or I somehow changed an option somewhere that I can't seem to find.

totally agree with the punctuation thing that's so annoying right now, I'm using the mic more and more so the voice texting easier would be good, I use it when driving.
    06-27-2010 10:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD