Hey guys I downloaded the handcent sms app last night for my droid because I know its a popular application. Just wondering what is it suppose to do that the regular text messaging application doesnt do. To be honest right now I dont really see the point of it. Thanks for the help guys.
    06-25-2010 01:13 PM
    handcent is really just extra bells & whistles, so to speak. You have the option of customizing the LED notification, the icon notification, the background on the conversation list, backgrounds and fonts in the conversation themselves, etc.

It's really a nice app, I used it for quite awhile. I'ts much better than chompSMS in my opinion.. My only gripe with handcent is the lag I get opening the application and sometimes replying to texts.

I went back to the stock sms application for the main reason of getting rid of that lag... and it's been working fine for me, but overall Handcent is the best alternative if ur looking for something different.
    06-25-2010 01:33 PM
    ok well can some body explain to me how to do all of that? also would it be ok if i delete the stock sms app then if im gonna use handcent
    06-25-2010 01:42 PM
    I don't know if you can delete the stock messaging program; just make sure you turn all of its notifications off so you aren't getting multiple notifications for every message.

And for the other stuff, just open Handcent and go to Settings - you can change everything in there.
    06-25-2010 02:04 PM
    yeah as long as you turn off the notifications on the stock app, and you might want to turn off the automatic retrieving messages but other than that you just to into the settings of handcent and change what you like, as PelicanPlanet mentioned..it's fairly self explanatory.
    06-25-2010 02:28 PM
    I don't know if you can delete the stock messaging program; just make sure you turn all of its notifications off so you aren't getting multiple notifications for every message.

And for the other stuff, just open Handcent and go to Settings - you can change everything in there.
    You can not delete the stock messaging app....it is in ROM...
    06-25-2010 02:29 PM
    You can also have handcent do pop alerts for your SMS messages. I have it set so that the Pop up only shows up when the lock (keyguard) screen is on. So I only get the pop up when I am not actively using the phone. It makes for really quick replies.

To change all of this (including how it displays the text messages) open up handcent and tap menu->settings

Notification settings will let you set popups and however else you want to get your text messages.

Custom style will let you change how your messages look.
    06-25-2010 02:37 PM
    test. ignore me.
    06-25-2010 02:49 PM
    test. ignore me.
    ignore the guy from pre central? lol not possible.
    06-25-2010 03:39 PM
    test. ignore me.
    ignore the guy from pre central? lol is that possible?
    06-25-2010 03:42 PM
    sorry for the double post. my work computer is acting up.
    06-25-2010 03:43 PM
    also, you can set different ringtones for different contacts in handcent. And you each contact can have a different background and bubble settings.
    06-25-2010 08:29 PM
    So can you set a picture of that individual as the back ground in your conversation with that person?
    06-25-2010 09:13 PM
    how do i get handcent to read my messages?
    ( text to voice)
    06-25-2010 09:18 PM
    nevermind. found that too
    06-25-2010 09:25 PM
    The only problem I've found with Handcent is that sometimes it will double post incoming messages. Not a big deal, but a little annoying. Otherwise, it's an excellent app.
    06-25-2010 10:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD