07-16-2010 12:34 AM
32 12
tools
    The thing is that Apple has followed basically the same methodology for a very long time, and survived. Linux brought the world open source, and its younger cousin Android is now invading the smartphone market, which is like the tip of the iceberg. I can see Android on all sorts of devices like Tablets, kitchen appliances, cars, spacecraft, you name it. Where is Apple? Stuck on one carrier with the iPhone? Boring....
    07-07-2010 07:57 AM
    The thing is that Apple has followed basically the same methodology for a very long time, and survived. Linux brought the world open source, and its younger cousin Android is now invading the smartphone market, which is like the tip of the iceberg. I can see Android on all sorts of devices like Tablets, kitchen appliances, cars, spacecraft, you name it. Where is Apple? Stuck on one carrier with the iPhone? Boring....
    People want "choice", thats why were are all here. Options sell, does it litter the market yes. When faced with an "ibrick" that comes in only one flavor or an array of phones that may better fit your needs. Which are you going to choose? There will always be the loyal iphone people who would buy one if it weighed 20 lbs and only worked in one city. But hey that is their problem. I think most people tend to want the latest and greatest, not everyone will continue with the old trend.

Android is fairly new compared to apple. and it has already taken the #2 spot from apple. It is not like android is going to come to a grinding halt. It is growing faster.
    07-07-2010 03:03 PM
    I agree. I guess it will be an interesting couple of years to see how this plays out. With Microsoft getting into the mix and RIM updating their OS, it could get more interesting for developers and more confusing for consumers.
    07-08-2010 06:56 PM
    We just finished writing a 26 page feasibility study for someone who paid us to answer this very same question. :-) History will repeat itself.
    07-12-2010 05:43 PM
    We just finished writing a 26 page feasibility study for someone who paid us to answer this very same question. :-) History will repeat itself.
    do i get a percentage for my .02 cents? like even .oooooo54? lol
    07-12-2010 06:43 PM
    Here's my view

4) A point against google! Fragmentation. The extent of this problem depends on the features they want to use in their app. But most devices will be on 2.1 soon, so code for that and you will reach most people. Code for 1.6 and you'll reach pretty much everyone.

I think that the whole case against fragmentation is blown out of proportion. Take the PC desktop market. Windows 7 came out 9 months ago. How many users still have Vista? How many still have XP? What service packs are they all on? Take Linux. How many flavors of Linux are there out there? Open platforms lead to some degree of fragmentation by necessity (and Windows isn't even a true open platform; it's simply the dominant desktop OS). If you think of your phone as a mini-computer, it makes more sense.
    07-15-2010 07:05 AM
    @mikejs78 - Totally agreed. It is an entirely necessary evil of a system that provides massive flexibility and scalability within both the hardware and software domains. Android will overtake iPhone because there are so many companies working on it from all directions at a furious pace. The best Android phones will become massively better at a lower price point than iPhones just like PCs overtook Macs in consumer favoritism.
    07-16-2010 12:34 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD