Google vs. Apple Development make the case...

sandplasma

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I wanted a new iphone to add to my collection but the only reason I didnt get one is because ATT added the 2GB limit and charges a fee for tethering. Goodbye apple. I wonder if they realize that ATT is hurting sales.

One thing I like about apple (although I'm an avid N1 user) is that there is only ONE apple and developers work around that ONE device. I bought a G1 thinking it was going to be awesome..and it was until 10 other units came out. Same thing happened with N1. Now the incredible, Evo, Droid , Droid X - I cant keep up with technology.

Its like owning a console (PS3) and a PC (constant upgrading of memory or video card).

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, for both markets, they are littered with junk. I use iPhone's often, setting them up and trying new things for clients. The app store for all it’s “control” has a ton of junk in it. Same with market for the android. As an investor, coming up with a patentable killer app and delivering to both would be the sell. You can argue for one over the other to launch, but it’s really a comfort level of the developers in the languages driving that decision.

The argument of iPhone vs Adnroid is the same argument that has been had in IT since divergence from binary source code… It’s not the platform so much as the problem being solved. A real problem solved efficiently will sell regardless of the platform. Hell, RIM has lasted this long on a terrible UI for the simple reason that they supported Exchange e-mail better than anyone else did. (Even back in the pre phone days of RIM). If the investor is more concerned about platform then content you might be better served to help educate them.

BluePLanetMan

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, for both markets, they are littered with junk. I use iPhone's often, setting them up and trying new things for clients. The app store for all it?s ?control? has a ton of junk in it. Same with market for the android. As an investor, coming up with a patentable killer app and delivering to both would be the sell. You can argue for one over the other to launch, but it?s really a comfort level of the developers in the languages driving that decision.

The argument of iPhone vs Adnroid is the same argument that has been had in IT since divergence from binary source code? It?s not the platform so much as the problem being solved. A real problem solved efficiently will sell regardless of the platform. Hell, RIM has lasted this long on a terrible UI for the simple reason that they supported Exchange e-mail better than anyone else did. (Even back in the pre phone days of RIM). If the investor is more concerned about platform then content you might be better served to help educate them.

I gotta say, I agree with this response. There will always be a battle between vendors, ultimately its the developers that make or break the platform. Frankly, imho, Apple did as well as they did till now with the iPhone because it was the only phone of its kind with its OS features. So developers had no choice. Now that Android is out, better and open source, I am concerned that Apple will miss the boat if they don't change the way they do things. As a developer, I am less interested in developing for Apple and looking at Android and even Blackberry/WinMo as options, those markets are mostly untapped and have good potential for the future....Maybe. :p

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Google I/O in May it was announced that they were activating 100,000 handsets a day.
Droid X event in June it was announced they were activating 160,000 handsets a day.
60,000 activations per month increase in a month.
15 million handsets a quarter.

If you have a great app and they have the money, they would ignorant to not put a hand in.

BluePLanetMan

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
The thing is that Apple has followed basically the same methodology for a very long time, and survived. Linux brought the world open source, and its younger cousin Android is now invading the smartphone market, which is like the tip of the iceberg. I can see Android on all sorts of devices like Tablets, kitchen appliances, cars, spacecraft, you name it. Where is Apple? Stuck on one carrier with the iPhone? Boring....

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
The thing is that Apple has followed basically the same methodology for a very long time, and survived. Linux brought the world open source, and its younger cousin Android is now invading the smartphone market, which is like the tip of the iceberg. I can see Android on all sorts of devices like Tablets, kitchen appliances, cars, spacecraft, you name it. Where is Apple? Stuck on one carrier with the iPhone? Boring....

People want "choice", thats why were are all here. Options sell, does it litter the market yes. When faced with an "ibrick" that comes in only one flavor or an array of phones that may better fit your needs. Which are you going to choose? There will always be the loyal iphone people who would buy one if it weighed 20 lbs and only worked in one city. But hey that is their problem. I think most people tend to want the latest and greatest, not everyone will continue with the old trend.

Android is fairly new compared to apple. and it has already taken the #2 spot from apple. It is not like android is going to come to a grinding halt. It is growing faster.

BluePLanetMan

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I guess it will be an interesting couple of years to see how this plays out. With Microsoft getting into the mix and RIM updating their OS, it could get more interesting for developers and more confusing for consumers.

mikejs78

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Here's my view

4) A point against google! Fragmentation. The extent of this problem depends on the features they want to use in their app. But most devices will be on 2.1 soon, so code for that and you will reach most people. Code for 1.6 and you'll reach pretty much everyone.

I think that the whole case against fragmentation is blown out of proportion. Take the PC desktop market. Windows 7 came out 9 months ago. How many users still have Vista? How many still have XP? What service packs are they all on? Take Linux. How many flavors of Linux are there out there? Open platforms lead to some degree of fragmentation by necessity (and Windows isn't even a true open platform; it's simply the dominant desktop OS). If you think of your phone as a mini-computer, it makes more sense.

TheMobileWorx

May 8, 2010
Visit site
@mikejs78 - Totally agreed. It is an entirely necessary evil of a system that provides massive flexibility and scalability within both the hardware and software domains. Android will overtake iPhone because there are so many companies working on it from all directions at a furious pace. The best Android phones will become massively better at a lower price point than iPhones just like PCs overtook Macs in consumer favoritism.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke