07-19-2010 04:17 PM
36 12
tools
    For those of you with Kindles, you can now synch with your Evo & PCs. Kindle for Android is available today (June 28)
    06-28-2010 04:38 PM
    I have a question if someone knows the answer. Can you buy books outside of Amazon and what file format would they need to be. I went to a ebook site and they had Kindle format which is .azw I did d/l a free book form Amazon to see where it would put it. I used Astro to try to find the file but didnt find it. Anyone know?

Thanks
    06-28-2010 04:55 PM
    I have a question if someone knows the answer. Can you buy books outside of Amazon and what file format would they need to be. I went to a ebook site and they had Kindle format which is .azw I did d/l a free book form Amazon to see where it would put it. I used Astro to try to find the file but didnt find it. Anyone know?

Thanks
    Mobi format books from outside Amazon (such as public domain from Gutenberg or science fiction fromWebscriptions.net) can be loaded onto an actual Kindle via USB (there's also a way to email them to your Kindle) and they will work fine. For Kindle for PC and Kindle for iPhone, only books actually purchased from Amazon.com for Kindle are supposed to work. I assume the same is true of the Android version.
    06-28-2010 05:04 PM
    You can download free public domain books from Feedbooks.com and many other places. See Free Kindle Books, Amazon Kindle Book, Amazon.com Books Kindle Review – Kindle 3 Review, iPad Review

You can also read books in these formats: .mobi, .prc, .azw, .txt, and .azw1.

However, I haven't tried these yet on the Android version, so not sure.
    06-28-2010 05:11 PM
    thanks i will try. Hopefully it works.
    06-28-2010 05:31 PM
    Installed. Went to archived items in menu and downloaded a few of my books from my kindle account. Tested whispersync and no problem syncing to location on kindle or ipad. Great to have all my kindle books on my Evo. The text is very readable. Won't replace my kindle for reading but neither did my ipad. Great for times when out without kindle or ipad and just want to kill some time in line or waiting for appointment. Thanks Amazon. Will be nice when they add direct purchase but ok for now as i have a large kindle library already.
    06-28-2010 05:41 PM
    This is awesome! I don't have a kindle but I've gotten more into reading lately so this is just what I need!
    06-28-2010 06:27 PM
    as far as i can tell there is no way to read kindle format books on the evo, unless they came from the amazon store.

if anyone has any tips on getting this to work let me know
    06-28-2010 06:35 PM
    as far as i can tell there is no way to read kindle format books on the evo, unless they came from the amazon store.

if anyone has any tips on getting this to work let me know
    Download a Kindle book from Amazon then look on the SD card to see where it got stored. Put the PD books there.
    06-28-2010 06:49 PM
    Download a Kindle book from Amazon then look on the SD card to see where it got stored. Put the PD books there.
    trying that now

eta: doesnt work it causes the app to force close
    06-28-2010 07:08 PM
    For future reference app discussions go in the apps forum.
    06-28-2010 07:59 PM
    Kindle in my EVO is heavenly. I was waiting impatiently for this app.
    06-28-2010 08:04 PM
    This is great, works awesome on my incredible.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    06-28-2010 08:23 PM
    So, if I have a Kindle and my Evo, can I sync both of them and use either one as I please? Or does using one device de-activate the other (as is the case with two Kindles)?
    06-28-2010 09:54 PM
    So, if I have a Kindle and my Evo, can I sync both of them and use either one as I please? Or does using one device de-activate the other (as is the case with two Kindles)?
    Yes, and it even continues the book on the page you left off.
    06-28-2010 10:06 PM
    Yes, and it even continues the book on the page you left off.
    Great, thanks!
    06-28-2010 10:08 PM
    I log in to my amazon account and click on the amazon store with in the app. All I get is a error saying it can't find the page.

Any one have any ideas? I've tried reinstalling, and rebooting my HTC Incredible. No luck.
    06-28-2010 11:22 PM
    I log in to my amazon account and click on the amazon store with in the app. All I get is a error saying it can't find the page.

Any one have any ideas? I've tried reinstalling, and rebooting my HTC Incredible. No luck.
    Turn on Mobile View in your browser settings.
    06-28-2010 11:32 PM
    I can't seem to download a sample; it just doesn't show up. Is there a place I can look for the status of the download or is there a setting in my browser that's blocking the download?
    06-28-2010 11:55 PM
    Can I use the Kindle app and buy books even though I don't have a Kindle(and never even touched one)?

EDIT
    Nevermind, I just checked it out in the market and saw that I can. Sorry for being lazy!
    06-29-2010 01:06 AM
    Wow, first Audible on Android and now this. I never did Kindle but seeing how this app was free and tested out with the samples I think I might start building up a Kindle Library. Works great, just need to make the Kindle store in app instead of taking you to the browser to buy the books. Otherwise, not too bad
    06-29-2010 03:15 AM
    Turn on Mobile View in your browser settings.
    That worked. Thank you!
    06-29-2010 12:11 PM
    I am new to eBooks and was excited about using this on my EVO. I browsed the library last night and was surprised at the pricing. I understand that there are cheaper ones out there but most of the ones that I was interested in are around 9.99. I was surprised that they were this much. Is that the norm or does Amazon have higher prices that others?
    06-29-2010 12:32 PM
    I don't think $9.99 is too much when the paperback is usually $14.99. Plus you can preview most books before you buy.
    06-29-2010 12:43 PM
    I am new to eBooks and was excited about using this on my EVO. I browsed the library last night and was surprised at the pricing. I understand that there are cheaper ones out there but most of the ones that I was interested in are around 9.99. I was surprised that they were this much. Is that the norm or does Amazon have higher prices that others?
    When Apple jumped into the eReader game with the launch of iBooks and the iPad, Steve Jobs in all his <sarcasm>infinite wisdom</sarcasm> wanted to ensure that no other retailer of ebooks could sell books cheaper than he can. So publishers changed their sales model to the retailers. Publishers now dictate the prices of ebooks, instead of the retailer.

eBooks on Amazon are priced the same as any other retailer.

There are a few exceptions as Random House held out and didn't change to the new "Agency Model" that screws the consumer. Prior to the change, eBooks were typically priced lower than hardback when released, then lowered below paperback price when that edition released. Not so much anymore.

However there are still a lot of eBooks available on Amazon for $2-$5.
    Floridadomer likes this.
    06-29-2010 02:40 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD